PDA

View Full Version : Someone take out my brain and have it shot

Faeth
18-08-08, 10:55
Does anyone have good tips for convincing yourself you're not going to die of something horrible?

I have recently been diagnosed as having anxiety/panic attacks and put on beta-blockers by my doctor, having had tests for heart problems and thyroid issues.

Initially I found that the diagnosis was a comfort in itself, but of course now my stupid brain is alternately convinced that either they were horribly wrong and have missed something about my heart, or because I smoke, I actually have undiagnosed lung cancer and I seem to spend too often thinking I'm going to go to sleep and just not wake up again.

What makes it worse is that I usually prided myself on having a pretty rational brain, and had the ability to think through and reason away irrational worries (well apart from my fear of flying which I've never managed to figure out) - but somewhere in my head these days is this irrational hypercondriac (sp?) who keeps taking over when I'm not watching and I've no idea when I managed to invite her in....

Also the beta-blockers have dropped my heart rate to around 80 - but my doctor says if a person is fully beta-blocked it should be around 60, so we may have to up my dose - does this sound about right to others here?

elanna
18-08-08, 11:18
ok if you have a pretty rational brain then you need to digest what actually cause your panic attacks and what is physically happening to you.

as you know in a noraml dangerous situation like ur house going on fire, your body release a load of adrenilin to help you escape. in a panic attack, becuase ur not in a life threatening situation ,the adrenlin has no where to go so you get the physical symptoms like chest pain, shaking,fainting, getting sick, wierd thoughts, feelings something is going to happen to you etc.

so what i try to do is just remind myself that is why it is happening. you are in no real danger. try to distract yourself...

they suggest singing a song or humming a tune as this uses a different part of your brain than the part that responds to panic so i find it does help.

Phil H
18-08-08, 11:25
Hi i fully understand.

When in an attack,splash your face with cold water this resets the heart!!!If you are not in a place with water try breathing in and hold your breath and breathe out slowly do this several times it will slow the heart rate down.

Adrenalin is a pain,when you are an anxious person you have a higher than normal level so when you get more and more anxious it produces even more you then worry and then panic.Best advice is EXCERCISE use it up,thats what i do.