PDA

View Full Version : New to Panic

Patrick S
18-08-08, 20:28
Hi all. My name is Patrick. I'm 28 and live in London. I work in the television and film industry. I had my first panic attack about six years ago while out with family for breakfast. I had been in relationship for a year and half and my obsessing over it forced me to go to the toilet, where I started hyper-ventilating, and dry-wretching from the nausea. My temperature also rose and I was pacing backwards and forwards for a time. Eventually it subsided and I went back to the family, unable to eat.
Nothing happened until about 2 months ago. While watching Iron Man in the cinema with my partner, I felt an acute sensation in my chest, a pain, fast heartbeat. My vision started blurring. My temperature rose. I started shaking. I honestly thought I was dying. I got up and excused my self and went to the toilet. I splashed water on my face and tried breathing slowly. Eventually I went into a cubicle and propped myself up on the toilet seat and became resided that I was going to die in the toilet of a cinema. After twenty minutes it passed and I went back in. When I got home the only way I could get rid of the nausea was to make myself sick. I got into bed and slept for an hour. After that I felt fine.
Fearing it was my heart, I have had a full ECG (think, that's what it was called; treadmill and sensors on the chest?) They said I was fine. The next time I felt myself having a panic attack in the cinema (a month later) I calmed myself down with the thought that my heart was fine, and this was my job to be in a cinema.
I have fallen quite hard for a female friend of both mine and my girlfriend and think that she feels the same. Even the mention of the ramifications of what might have to happen because of this, has had me nauseous for a couple of days. Today I had a panic attack at work. Extreme Nauseousness, blurred vision, I felt totally trapped and claustrophobic (I have a (25x35 ft office to myself!) I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. It's one of my biggest fears to go mad. I tried talking to a department head (a friend thankfully) i couldn't make sense of what was going on. I went and laydown in a dark store cupboard for half an hour before leaving.
I'm going to control this. Reading about other peoples experiences, even that it's common to feel like you're having a nervous breakdown has helped me. I still get the shakes when I think about my relationship, which is struggling. My feelings for this other girl is also not helping things.

Anyway sorry for the essay, thanks for reading it. And I'll see you all on
the forums.

Patrick

lorac
18-08-08, 21:01
Hi Patrick

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get lots of good advice and support on here

Take care

Carol

kellie
18-08-08, 21:05
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
We all understand here what you are going through so keep posting and we will help you as much as we can.

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

milly jones
18-08-08, 21:10
hi hun

sounds like theres alot going on in ur head at the moment

hope nmp helps u as much as it does me

milly xxxxxxxxxxxxx

pooh
18-08-08, 21:16
Hi Patrick

and welcome along to NMP

Pooh xxx

Lindalou64
19-08-08, 13:04
Hello Patrick And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

Lilith1980
19-08-08, 14:32
Hi Patrick

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

nomorepanic
20-08-08, 20:55
Hi Patrick

Just wanted to say :welcome: and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Wenjoy
21-08-08, 09:36
Hi Patrick

Dont worry - you are never judged on this site and everyone has the same sort of experiences you have. For me its the feeling of being trapped be in cinema,restaurant,drs, etc etc - I cant breathe and feel dizzy and hot and hyperventilate - horrible - but we are all still here so we are obviously stronger than we realise.You will get over this - I know you will. Wenjoy x