PDA

View Full Version : Regular Benzodiazepines?

jonstar
19-08-08, 11:15
Hi all, I have a history of melancholic depression and panic attacks, which are under control with Effexor 150mg per day and Edronax 4mg twice a day.

I have Valium and Atarax to take as needed for anxiety, but am finding that I am suffering generalised anxiety quite often.

Feeling like I need somthing "every day" to keep the anxiety at bad, wondering what my options are.

As I see it, either a benzo or a low dose of neuroleptic, given that Atarax doesnt seem to do much for me, and Buspar hasnt helped.

I would rather avoid becoming a benzo addict, has anyone got any experience for regualr neuroleptics for anxiety?

Anxious_gal
19-08-08, 11:21
I have effexor but too afraid to take! I thought effexor helps with every day anxiety.
well you'd be looking at atypical antipsychotics,
quetiapine, Seroquel, Risperidal, risperidone are some that i know of that have been used to treat anxiety.

jonstar
19-08-08, 11:25
Why are you afraid to take Effexor? Side effects seem mild to non existant, and it isnt habit forming.

Anxious_gal
19-08-08, 11:33
had bad experiences with other antidepressants including lustral so my doc gave me cipramil- had another bad reaction so then he gave me effexor! I may try it if i get really desperate!

Tre
19-08-08, 11:45
My mom and I both suffer from anxiety... she takes Clonazepam daily- We both notice it working amazingly... you should check it out... best of luck - Tre

jonstar
19-08-08, 11:52
mishel

the best way to get around this is to "start low and go slow"

Start off with a quater tablet per day for 2 or 3 days, then half a tablet, then three quaters of a tablet, then a full tablet by the ned of the second week.

Alternatively, you could ask your doctor for some Valium for perhaps 2 weeks, to reduce the initial anxiety flare up that can occur when starting an antidepressant

pete69
22-08-08, 21:56
My mom and I both suffer from anxiety... she takes Clonazepam daily- We both notice it working amazingly... you should check it out... best of luck - Tre

i second the clonos,they are great for anxiety and one of the better benzos i have tried.long half life to so next day you are feeling pretty relaxed as well.

good luck

Alisonj
23-08-08, 03:58
After being on many different medications it was finally decided 17 years later that I am someone who benefits from Benzos compared to other meds so I take two daily as well as Paxil. I have not had to increase my dosage and I have been on them 15 mnths.

keepemlaughing
28-08-08, 19:52
I am on clonazepam for now two weeks. I don't notice a whole lot of difference. He has me take 5 mg twice a day. is this enough??

Alisonj
28-08-08, 20:52
5 is on the low end for a dose, I imagine he will up your dose in time.

keepemlaughing
28-08-08, 21:29
Tre,
What is the doseage your mom takes?

Tori Frances
26-05-09, 09:44
My Dr put me on Quetapine as had been taking diazepam for a few months and they'd stopped working. Am told is good antianxiety drug but am not noticing a huge difference I don't think, (though maybe I'd be worse without them am still pretty bad). Maybe because am on such a small dose, (25mg).