PDA

View Full Version : "Rocket fuel" for depression - if SSRI's havent worked, pls read!

jonstar
19-08-08, 11:22
I have a histroy of melancholic depression, which wasnt releived by citralopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine or Effexor.

However, adding the NARI Edronax to the Effexor brought about an amazing change within a few days.

If anyone has depression that doesnt fully respond to SSRI's, please, please, ask your doctors for a months trial of Edronax - it could truly change your life.

If is safe to take with an SSRI, to help keep anxiety/panic in check, and to keep the seretonin levals high, and the sid effects are minimal

jojo.72
22-08-08, 21:41
im really inspired by your thread, iv been on citralopram for 5 years n seroxat b4 that as well as proprananol but still suffer daily i feel like im living inside a bubble most the time and life is passing me by, but iv stumbled across this site and am inspired. Iv always said that ssri's wasnt working fully, but have been told that i just have to stick with them and that if i stop taking then i will get worst.
Having read your thread i feel that this might also be beneficial to me so i shall be making an appt with my GP and hopefully he will agree to put me on a trail, so thank you for passing on the advice.

Jo xx

3dandfmandhp
27-08-08, 20:59
I've been on Prozac for the last 15yrs or so and Ive never felt like it was working properly. I have, during this time, tried other types of anti depressants but no help. Ive also been on venlafaxin but was too underweight at time to cope with side effects. Prozac has always been the better option for me so you can understand why this thread is of interest.

At the moment I am trying Thyroxine as my thyroid is borderline but "normal" to see if my drive will return. If this doesn't work then I will speak to my GP about this drug.

Thanks for the info jonstar and Jo

Janey

Yvonne
28-08-08, 09:55
Rocket fuel eh? Gawd I'm interested as well. I've been on loads of meds - the one which worked well for the depression was Duloxetine but it did nothing for the anx.

I'm on effexor now - upped it 4 weeks ago to 150 - must admit I do feel so much better than I did but still don't feel that it's working the way it should.

What exactly is an NARI? What side effects does it have?

Take much care and glad you have found a wonder med. Is it good for anxiety as well?

Yvonne

popsy
07-09-08, 20:11
Im very very interestd to know what this is, please can you give us moe info!!!!!! Im on the top level of seroxat they will give me and at times i am doing well, but it really isnt properly controlling my anxiety and depression and im in a very bad period at the moment. Would love to know more......

milly jones
07-09-08, 21:36
what 'kind' of a drug is it?

another ssri? tricyclic? antipsychotic? tranq?
what please?

Alisonj
08-09-08, 05:15
I am interested as well. I wonder if its available in Canada? I have been on Paxil 11 years and it does not help so I am also on two benzodiazapems. Does it increase your serotonin even more? I have always been paranoid about serotonin syndrome so if it does I probably would be too scared to take it.

wizz
08-09-08, 17:05
I found this out about Edronax:

Edronax tablets contain the active ingredient reboxetine, which is a type of antidepressant (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/depression/otherantidepressants_000168.htm) known as a selective noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor. This type of medicine acts on nerve cells in the brain.

In the brain there are numerous different chemical compounds called neurotransmitters. These act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. Noradrenaline is one such neurotransmitter and has various functions that we know of.

When noradrenaline is released from nerve cells in the brain it acts to lighten mood. When it is reabsorbed into the nerve cells, it no longer has an effect on mood. It is thought that when depression occurs, there may be a decreased amount of noradrenaline released from nerve cells in the brain.

Reboxetine works by preventing noradrenaline from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. This helps prolong the mood lightening effect of any released noradrenaline. In this way, reboxetine helps relieve depression.

It may take between two to four weeks for the benefits of this medicine to appear, so it is very important that you keep taking it, even if it doesn't seem to make much difference at first. If you feel your depression has got worse, or if you have any distressing thoughts or feelings in these first few weeks, then you should talk to your doctor.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000891.html

Stacers1985
14-06-09, 17:22
I looked up some more stuff on Edronax and this is what I found.

It is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine_reuptake_inhibitor) (NR!) which means that it does not inhibit the reuptake of serotonin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin), therefore it can be safely combined with an SSRI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor).

Common side effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_drug_reaction) of reboxetine are consistent with its anticholinergic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic) properties, and include: dry mouth, constipation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constipation), headache, drowsiness, dizziness, excessive sweating and insomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia). Hypertension has been infrequently seen.
In 4 to 8% of all patients treated the medication has to be discontinued due to following reasons (percentages represent mean values):

insomnia 1.3%
excessive sweating 1.1%
vertigo/hypotension and paraesthesia 0.8%
dizziness, impotence, and other urological problems 0.5% eachSome other rare side effects include anxiety, loss of appetite, loss of libido, urinary retention in men, pain on ejaculation, increased orgasm intensity, and premature/quickened ejaculation.
Reboxetine is normally well tolerated. So far no attributable fatalities have been noted.

I actually might talk to my doctor about this.

NoPoet
14-06-09, 23:19
This stuff is also known as reboxetine and its effectiveness has not been fully verified yet - some trials have shown that escitalopram is vastly more effective - however if anyone here has used edronax/reboxetine, please let us know how it went. I would consider taking it alongside my citalopram if my doctor agrees to it.

suzy-sue
17-06-09, 12:56
Itook an SNRI before citalopram and it made me feel out of controL with deep deppression and suicidal thoughts. They are meant to work for people suffering with depression ,but the results against anxiety arent as good .Dont honestly know what my DR was thinking about giving me these 3 weeks before my holiday,needless to say I didnt go ...and its left me even more phobic about going away..Suexx

spambles
08-12-14, 12:19
Reboxetine a.k.a Edronaux aka edronax is amazing for anyone who is feeling crappy from antipsychotics such as paliperidone or risperidone. If you feel like all your motivation is gone, your sex drive is gone, you can't enjoy anything in life, you don't appreciate music anymore, all these things, it's called anhedonia. You need to get some edronaux and also probably have hyperprolactinaemia so could benefit from some cabergoline to get your prolactin down.

Seriously, this stuff is rocket fuel and will give you your life back.

90 days on 10 mg ritalin will restore sexual function completely as well.

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Reboxetine a.k.a Edronaux aka edronax is amazing for anyone who is feeling crappy from antipsychotics such as paliperidone or risperidone. If you feel like all your motivation is gone, your sex drive is gone, you can't enjoy anything in life, you don't appreciate music anymore, all these things, it's called anhedonia. You need to get some edronaux and also probably have hyperprolactinaemia so could benefit from some cabergoline to get your prolactin down.

Seriously, this stuff is rocket fuel and will give you your life back.

90 days on 10 mg ritalin will restore sexual function completely as well.

aprilmoon
08-12-14, 18:14
I was given Mirtazapine as an add odd to Venlafaxine,and this combo brought me out of one of the worst depressions I ever had.
The Venlafaxine on its own had "pooped out", and when the Mirt was added,it was like some one switching a light on in my head within a matter if days.
I've also heard of this combo referred to as California rocket fuel.

MyNameIsTerry
09-12-14, 04:19
How does this compare to SNRI's that work on both serotonin and norepinephrine? NRI's are aimed at norepinephrine only but have a small effect on serotonin as well.

Isn't this the argument behind SNRI's? SNRI's have only been found marginally more effective than the older SSRI's. NRI's have been found more effective in some studies but there seems to be some concern of the validity of those studies.

Maybe we can all end up on SNDRI's and get dopamine in there too?!

Where does hyperprolactinaemia come into this? Are you suggesting that dopamine levels have been inhibited? In which case wouldn't it be a better alternative to boost dopamine levels naturally instead of using cabergoline to provide a potent boost which is 'off label' in some countries for use alongside SSRI's? Maybe try natural increases of supplementation of tyrosine and L-phenylalanine?

Could it even be that GABA levels are too high since that inhibits dopamine?

SADnomore
09-12-14, 23:50
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2010/11/30/the-antidepressant-reboxetine-a-headdesk-moment-in-science/

:weep:

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

And the meta-analysis report itself ...
http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4737

Mind you, we are all different, and I have no doubt it has helped those who feel it has. But the studies in support of reboxetine were definitely skewed by the manufacturer. Soul less.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Aprilmoon, how are you doing now that you have weaned off the mirt? I have heard so much about weight gain on mirt, but you didn't gain weight, you said, by packing the fridge with loads of fresh fruits and veg ;) I am not afraid to try it as an add-on to my ven, thanks to your experience! Are you sleeping alright these days? ... So little daylight right now I feel like going into hibernation, lol!

yenool
21-12-14, 15:33
If the OP has had good results with Reboxetine then good for him. However as SADnmore points out it, Reboxetine aka Edronax is one of the few modern antidepressants that is basically been proven NOT to work well.

It might be a good add-on medication for some people but I'm not sure it is great as a stand alone antidepressant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOWHYNVlqGA

Another thing is Venlafaxine (effexor) and Duloxetine (cymbalta) are supposed to be SNRI medications but the jury is out on how much actual "N" they do work on.

I believe the older tricyclic medication Clomipramine works as an SNRI and is supposed to be very effective for depression but doctors don't prescribe that much anymore.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-14, 07:48
There is also a big different between the effect of those per dose Yenool since Duloxetine is far stronger in terms of the 'N'. So, Venlafaxine can be working no more than the SSRI's until you reach the threshold for it to interact with the 'N' element.

I've been on Duloxetine for several years now and I can tell you that it does work on the 'N' because I have felt the effects. Tapering on at 30mg didn't seem to affect it but the increase to 60mg gave me seriously strong adrenaline rushes that I had only felt from a streong combination of sports supplements in the past. However, once past the side effects window, I have only experienced the rushes 2-3 times in several years.

I'm unsure about why interacting with 'N' is of much use to be honest unless working with depression because more adrenaline is the last thing we need with anxiety. I need to research that element to understand what it should be doing. I know I have been different to when I was on a SSRI before but whether I'm better, I'm not sure. My relapse was worse so its hard to measure it.