PDA

View Full Version : lump..

tina2004
27-11-03, 16:11
does anyone get a lump feeling in chest and throat,,what causes this ,,[?]

Laurie28
27-11-03, 16:23
Tina,

When my anxiety started to get really bad I felt as if I was constantly being strangled. My throat was very tight. I think feeling as if you have a lump in your throat is pure anxiety, I am not a doctor but can only advise you in comparison to the symptoms I had. the more you relax the most you will notice these symptoms disappearing. I know it it a horrible feeling.

Take care
lucky

Willow
27-11-03, 16:44
I very often get a tight feeling in my throat and chest. It feels like by throat is closing up and sometimes when i swallow it feels as though there is a lump there.

It can be very scary but it only happens when the body becomes tense and the muscles in the throat contract.

Do not worry, I find that if I dont think about it then it isnt there and I cant feel it, its only when i think about it that it actually bothers me (strange but true!)

Diane

Meg
27-11-03, 18:38
Hi Tina,

A tight throat is one of the most common symptoms of all.

It's called Globus Hystericus –All the muscles contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are.

It will never tighten up too much to either drink or breathe. It's not possible.
To get rid of it - relax - and it goes as quickly as it came.

Failing that - sips of water laden 'rescue remedy' helps and hot drinks will soothe it. Keep away from caffiene.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
28-11-03, 13:13
I used to get this a lot - I felt as though I couldn't swallow properly. Thanks for the explanation Meg :-)

Nicola