PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety phobia

Cathrin
19-08-08, 19:35
Hi - Im new to this!! Got severe health anxiety - please help.
Suffered with it for a long time but its really got a hold this time.

bab
19-08-08, 20:22
Hi Cathrin - I am the same!
Do you see anyone or take medication?

Cathrin
19-08-08, 20:33
Not on my own then eh!! Started on Prozac about 12 days ago. Worse if anything at the moment. Not seeing anyone yet but have tried various things in the past. Work in a hospital too, so it doesnt help!!

bottleblond
19-08-08, 20:37
Hiya hun

I will see if i get get an admin to move this to the "Health anxiety" section where you may get some more replies.

Welcome to nmp, i hope you fine lots of avice and friends here!!

Love Lisa
xxx

Cathrin
19-08-08, 21:19
Thanks Lisa - I hope it will help too.

Cath
x

crunchie01
20-08-08, 15:46
hi,

i suffer terrible with health anxiety,i have good and bad days and today is definately a bad day.

jenniexx

Cathrin
20-08-08, 18:37
Hi JennieToday is definitely a bad day for me too. Yesterday was just a bit better. I really dont know what to do to help myself. I see other people not giving things a second thought and I just worry about every last symptom. I jump in the bath every morning wondering if im going to find a lump here or a skin blemish there. I had a skin blemish the other week, it has gone now but im worried about what it was and why was it there? I hope you are having some treatment for your health anxiety. Do you find there is anything specific that helps? Cathx

RosieXXX
20-08-08, 22:39
Hi Cathrin,

I lost my last post, so hope this isn't repeated.

Sorry you are having a bad time with health anxiety. I have suffered with it for many years.

Although it is difficult to do, I find by making a huge effort not to check for lumps and bumps the anxiety slowly fades away after a few days. Sometimes it is almost impossible to resist the urge, but if you can be strong it does work. I think people who suffer with this condition are hypersenstive to every little twinge and ache, and so I find ignoring any niggling sensation for a reasonable time, before checking, it usually disappears before I have had chance to enter into that awful checking and constant worrying cycle.

When It is bad, and I am already in the middle of a bad cycle, I limit the amount of time I allow myself to check - and the anxiety slowly fades.

I hope this helps and that you will be feeling better soon.

nomorepanic
20-08-08, 22:45
Have you asked the GP for CBT to help with the HA?

Cathrin
21-08-08, 20:45
Hi Rosie

Thanks for your message. I have read that this is what we should do, avoid the urge to check. I will try it over the next few days and hope things start to settle down. My husband thinks I just go looking for problems. He doesnt understand at all. I can be fine for a few months and then something will trigger things off and my health anxiety is worse than ever. I had a skin blemish on my breast a few weeks ago. It has gone now. Still I had to go and see the GP to get her to check for lumps. She said it was fine but I keep looking and waking up feeling sick in the mornings thinking will it be back today? I keep popping to the loo in work to check. I really must stop!!

Cathrin
21-08-08, 20:48
Hi Nicola

Yes I have tried CBT but the therapist left to do another job a few weeks into it so I just left it. You just get fed up of trying different things after a while. I hate going on holiday because I think, oh god, what if i find a lump or something wrong with me and i am miles away from my GP. It really is quite disabling.

Cath

Lissy43
21-08-08, 21:40
Poor you, I am exactly the same, I get very anxious when we go on holiday, I feel I need to be at home incase any of us are ill. It really does rule your life doesn't it.

Sallysdream
21-08-08, 22:50
just found this thought its very informative http://tv.jubii.co.uk/video/iLyROoafYcPE.html

RosieXXX
22-08-08, 21:56
Hi Cathrin,

I hope you are beginning to feel a little better, and have managed to reduce the checking.

My anxiety has mostly centred on breast lumps, and blemishes on breast etc. There have been times when I have prodded and poked so much that I have made myself sore - I know exactly how you feel and what it is like to have to go checking every five minutes - it is absolute hell.

I know there is absolutely no need for you to worry about the blemish, which has now gone from your breast, espeically since you have been checked for any lumps. Having gone through this many times myself I do know how difficult it is to accept everything is ok.

When I am finding it really difficult to cope - especially when I am trying to break the checking and looking cycle - I stop looking and ask my husband to look - say first thing in the morning and last thing at night. By doing this I can reduce some of the awful anxiety I experience as i prepare myself to look and check - I know I can accept his word that the blemish has gone - and get on with things until bedtime. Meantime, I am make an effort not to look or check at all during rest of the day. This has worked really well for me, it really does take some of the pressure off.

Cathrin
27-08-08, 18:26
Hi Rosie

Got some health anxiety leaflets today. going to read through them later. the only answer is to stop the cycle. It doesnt make me feel any better by constantly checking, so my sensible head says what have I got to loose by not checking. It is really hard though. I am going to try and start from tomorrow. Got to go back to GP on monday as she wants to see how I am getting on with my medication. I want to ask her to check for lumps again but know that she only did this a month ago and that I really shouldnt ask her. Hope I can be strong enough!!

Cath

Cathrin
27-08-08, 18:43
Sallysdream - thanks for that webpage. It was very useful. Cath x

george08
27-08-08, 19:45
Hi Cathrin

I am to like you! i check my breasts all the time some times i have to go to the toilets (up to 4 times an hour) when im at work just to have a good check. I try not to do this if i feel the urge to prod and poke i make a cuppa or do some photo copying any thing to distract my attention i find this works!

Cathrin
27-08-08, 21:05
Hi George

I have had this before, but have had periods when I have been fine. I just seem to have some stress in my life and bang the health anxiety is back. I have been told that the anxiety can only reach a certain level then it has to come down. Im really going to try hard not to check. It really doesnt help us does it. Nobody reall seems to understand. Im sure I can see the colour drain out of my GP's face when she sees me coming in!!

Cath
xx

RosieXXX
27-08-08, 21:26
Hi Cathrin,

Glad you have got some leaflets, and you will be seeing your doctor on Monday.

You have everything to gain by not checking, even though I know it is so very difficult. I am sure your doctor understands, and I think it might be worth asking her if she could check you once a month - like we should - this could take some of the pressure off you, and it might make it easier for you not to check.

All the best
Rosie

AnnieB
27-08-08, 21:27
Hi! I have HA too. I have been seeing a councillor about it. He gave me some paperwork on it and as I read through it, I can see myself in so many of the stories. I just worry about everything. If I get a spot, it's serious. I just wish I could get over it you know and lead a normal life. Doc says people with HA hang onto something and keep wanting assurance from others. Do any of you guys ask people about stuff like I do?

Annieb
x

RosieXXX
28-08-08, 19:19
Hi AnnieB,

I think most of us with HA seek reassurance - it is a very frightening place to be when anxiety takes over; we try to seek comfort, and hope the anxiety will go away. Unfortunately, another worry usually takes over, and so the whole cylce starts again. I am sure you will find comfort knowing there are plenty of other people here who can understand the condition.

iworryallthetime
28-08-08, 20:48
its a comfort to know im not alone , i to feel the same way you all do ,constant checking myself and if im not going to the doctors im phoning them ....its like a fair ground ride that you cant get off..
im far better when im busy with work or family life and not i the house so much as i do tend to google symptoms when im feeling anx and this is never a good thing to do but i just cant help it .