PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic beats can have multiple causes at the same time

Mikke
20-08-08, 01:37
I have been relatively active in this subforum, and thought I would tell my story, now that it came to a conclusion today, when I got my blood results back.

I started having a lot of skipped beats during a very stressfull/anxious time some weeks ago, and visited a lot of doctors.
My heart was fine, and the ECG showed some PAC's. Doctors said they were totally benign.

My therapist said I probobly had some normal PAC's from stress, and that the added worry about them caused even more. In my own experience, this is a fact. At the end, I could actually bring on runs of PAC's from just feeling my pulse, I was so terrified of them. After i quit worrying about them (having seen 4 different doctors), they went away almost totally (but still had a few now and then).

Today I got my bloodtests back, and the results shows I have a lack of folic acid (vitamine 9) in my blood which causes anemia, and the anemia again causes palpitations and ectopic beats.

In my case, the doctor thinks it is most likely that antidepressant drugs (especially the tricyclic ones) makes absorbation of the vitamine difficult alongside with extreme stress, so I will cut back on Mianserin (Tolvon) which helps me sleep. I also have to quit dieting so hard as I do to not gain weight from all the medications I use, and eat a lot of deepgreen vegetables and take a vitamine9 supplement.

It's peculiar how a chain of events and condition would cause all this trouble.

It started with stress and anxiety, which slowly depleted my storage of vitamine9, as i was already vulnerable to this from the medications and my dieting.
This made me gradually anemic, which in turn produced a lot of skipped beats. The skipped beats then elevated my anxietylevel even more, and the vicious circle went on.

So be sure to get your blood checked out, there could be small things in your diet causing the ctopic beats as well.

I will try not to get to freaked out about anemia, I don't know a thing about this condition, but this time i will follow my doctors advice and try not to read up on things that can scare me even more. I was told a lack of folic acid is not dangerous and not too uncommon for people living in Scandinavia (it has something to do with our heritage), that I was only slightly anemic which indicates that incomplete diet and stress is the main cause of the deficiacy, and that eating a lot of green vegetables alonside with vitamine supplements would bring my levels of folic acid up to normal again.

PS.
Please don't start chewing away folic acid without consulting your doctor, as this is a very potent vitaminesupplement that can have unwanted sideeffects if you don't realy need it and get your levels to high.

kimmiepie
20-08-08, 03:44
I'm glad that you were able to figure out where yours orignate from. That's great!

I too, agree that certain things can cause a chain reaction or multiple causes can affect our hearts.

I think lack of magnesium, MSG intake, too much sugar, caffeine, certain medications, stress, and vaccinations can all contribute to ectopics of many kinds. I've seen research on all of them and after I get my results I plan to really focus on these things and see what I can do.

I have also had the experience of "causing" my ectopics by focusing on my heart rate or thinking about them. I've read many others here have had that problem as well. The mind is a powerful thing!!

Good luck on correcting the problem. Let us know how you do. :flowers:

yanksforever
20-08-08, 18:32
Yes I am slightly anemic, Idk what kind it is and I don't wanna find out. I was told to take iron suppliments and this drug called BECEFOL, cuz I think it contains folic acid, vitamin B12 and C. I had major tummy issues after taking these..but my anemia must not have been so severe cuz my doctor said, "oh yeah? wel lthen just eat plenty of fruits and veggies and drink milk and you'll be fine".

I truely believe my ectopics are being brought on by my constant tense body and anxiety about my heart or any other body part.

Mikke
21-08-08, 02:20
Thank's a lot for your replies :)