PDA

View Full Version : The Natural Approach

Loopy
12-05-05, 21:12
Hi everyone,

I've made a huge decision to come off all medication, I've been on some type of anxiety medication since I was 19, I'm now 33...none of it have really helped and at times made me feel worse!!

I've decided to take the herbal approach, I'm taking B vitamin complex, Valerian Capusules, Magnolia Bark.

Im gonna try Camomile Tea YUK...the only thing I have tired in the past was Bach Remedies which I didnt find helpful.

Has anyone else taken the natural approach and found it benefical?

Thanks

Loopy
xx

seh1980
12-05-05, 21:21
hello Loopy,

I came off meds 3 months ago and have been doing the natural recovery thing. I take cod liver oil, drink the nasty teas and use rescue remedy. I don't find that it works as well as the meds did but I manage to do everything that I did on meds. I go to the same places, do the same things, etc. I do get more nervous at times but I feel that it is making me do more work which is good, whereas when I was on meds, the meds did most of the work for me..

Sarah :D

doddy
12-05-05, 22:16
hi loopy,

ive never taken any meds but i did use for a while st johns wort which really gave me back some energy and helped me sleep better.

doddy

Piglet
13-05-05, 09:51
Hi Loopy,

Regarding the 'natural approach'.

I've only ever taken Prozac 6 years ago for 2/3 months, so can't claim to be able to compare any of the other drugs with the natural remedies but I will say St Johns Wort worked equally well as the Prozac for me (can't take it now as am taking the pill for my periods).

Valerian I was quite impressed with too, specially at night. The one that worked so well for my panicky feelings though was Kava Kava, sadly this has been withdrawn for now - I do hope they sort it out and it turns out to be safe as it really made a difference (daren't take it even if I could get hold of it until its had the all clear).

I swear by lavender oil on a cottonwool ball in my pocket to sniff if I get too stressy as it seems to break my train of thought abit (might try the neroli that was suggested on the site too). Also I've always liked the rescue remedy (never tried the others) and it does seem to help.

The biggest help though without a doubt is learning to breathe well. I have three top books to recommend on that subject.

1. Self-help for Hyperventilation Syndrome by Dinah Bradley
2. Ways to better breathing by Carola Speads
3. Concious Breathing by Gay Hendricks

Love Piglet:)

graham58
31-03-09, 22:05
Just an update to this thread; I've got Gay' Hendricks's "Breathing Box" at the moment (from the library, I was lucky that they had it).

It contains a CD, a DVD and a booklet all containing information about and (in the case of the DVD) demonstrating Gay's technique. I reckon that anyone who likes his book mentioned above will love it.

Piglet
01-04-09, 13:39
Was that a library in the UK Graham.

Even though this thread is now nearly 4 years old I still think learning better breathing is one of the top tools to work with.

Love Piglet :flowers:

graham58
02-04-09, 18:15
Was that a library in the UK Graham.

Yes, Cornwall.

Even though this thread is now nearly 4 years old I still think learning better breathing is one of the top tools to work with.

Love Piglet :flowers:

Agreed. I find that when I have an attack (though touch wood, I haven't had one so far this year), focusing on my breathing is all I can do at all, at least at the start. I also believe that breathing more deeply makes it less likely that an attack will come on at all.

Piglet
02-04-09, 23:30
Thanks mate I will look and see if I can get it locally too - infact I may look on Amazon too.

Piglet :flowers:

graham58
08-04-09, 22:26
You're welcome. :)