PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Fluoxetine - support needed!

dacer
20-08-08, 13:05
Hi,

After an unsuccessful stint with citalopram (terrible side effects) I am starting Fluoxetene tommorrow. I am scared silly that the side effects are going to knock me for six and cause more strain in my already strained relationship with my wife. Guess I am looking for some had holding and encouraging stories please....

best
dacer

pooh
20-08-08, 14:23
HI Dacer

I have been taking fluoxetine for over 5 months now. When first prescribed I was also given two weeks of diazepam 5mg twice daily to counteract any negative initial downturn. As with any drug therapy it has its bumpy moments but I can say that I definately feel pretty levelled out.

Stick with it and if its tough initially ask the doc for a short term course of diazepam.

Pooh xxx

dacer
21-08-08, 12:10
Thanks Pooh,

I am particularly worried about the insomnia aspect that has been mentioned alot on this forum. Did you have any problems in that regard?

Thanks
dacer

pinkpiglet
05-09-08, 20:35
I started taking fluoxetine 3 weeks ago, although i was doubtful that it was

the right drug for me. For the first two week i felt shocking, much worse than

did before and i was going to stop taking them. Then my mate suggested

that i just take one every other day for a few days (check with your GP

before doing this though). After four or five days i started taking them daily

again and now i feel so much better. :yesyes:

It's amazing, i was really sceptical and because they made my anxiety worse

i just did'nt think they were going to agree with me. Just goes to show that

we need to give things time to get settled in our system, Good luck:yesyes:

kittykat
09-09-08, 09:41
Hi there,
I was at doc today cause of my increased anxiety caused by my health at the moment, and am now starting back on fluoxetine. I've been on them before and know what to expect the first few weeks, but it's definately worth sticking with them as they did help me. As for sleeping i dont sleep anyway.......lol......so im not sure about tht one. But it's worth remembering that everyone is different. Let us know how your getting on. xx

dacer
10-09-08, 13:14
Well, my GP has taken me off the fluoxetine, because I was having such acute anxiety and tremors. Still having the tremors and they are hellish. GP thinks I am sensitive to SSRIs since I did not cope with Citalopram either. So it looks like the next stop is clorapramine (is that how you spell it). Either way I am feeling very desperate and down:weep: