PDA

View Full Version : Hey, glad to be here :)

Graz
20-08-08, 16:28
Hi everyone, glad I found this website and that I'm not alone!

I've always been an introvert- and hated doing things in front of people. I used to not have a social life until a couple of years ago when I went to university, which definitely changed my life for the better. I've made good friends and had many nice evenings out. I'm now 23, male.

Things also make me jump very easily and I have a slight heart condition. But over the past year I've suffered from anxiety, nervousness, and the resulting ailments that come from these. Over the past few months it's got a lot worse, this week in particular.

The worst thing is, whenever I become anxious my heart pounds, I sweat, shake, my hands go cold, I sometimes get stomach cramps, and I always start feeling sick. I then become anxious about being sick and it gets worse from there. It sounds rediculous - and it sure feels that way to me. But it's a horrible feeling, and a feeling of nausea several times a day gets me down.

I'm unfourtunate in that I now have to spend 2 hours each way travelling to and from work. And I get anxious about being travel sick on the trains and buses, which in turn makes me feel sick. Great situation, eh! :doh: It's horrible feeling sick on the train and bus- all I think about is how long it is til the next stop and if I should get off there. I often step off the vehicle a complete wreck. It was so bad on Monday morning this week that I couldn't even board the bus, as I felt sure I was going to be sick there and then. Instead I had to go to the doctor who put me on a 'beating the blues' course starting next week. I don't feel depressed- but feeling this way doesn't make me happy until I step off the train/bus!

I usually take polo mints and water on the trains and buses with me which does help a little, but certainly doesn't solve the problem completely. I used to travel to work with my friend too- but that was a big worry as I was very anxious then, the last thing I'd want is to be sick in his car. I almost was a few times :(

Now I'm starting to worry more in the day and morning about the journey and even become a little social phobic in certain situations. I've also lost a lot of weight and my appetite isn't as it used to be. I have to get the bus home in 1/2 hour and you guessed it- I can feel myself sweating and my stomach is churning already. I'm looking for a much closer job which I hope will stop this. Sorry for the mega long intro, and in the meantime if anyone can give any tips or support to calm me down, it would be much appriciated. Many thanks! :)

janeybaby25
20-08-08, 16:49
hi Graz, welcome to NMP. Would it be ok if I PM'd you asking about your heart condition? I too have a heart condition & its always interesting to hear from people in same boat as you. x

Graz
20-08-08, 19:19
Hey Janey, many thanks and please feel free :)

nomorepanic
20-08-08, 20:38
Hi Graz

Just wanted to say :welcome: and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Graz
20-08-08, 20:52
Hey Nicola,

many thanks. The sad thing is I used to really enjoy train travel- but it's now got to the stage where I can't cope with it anymore.

I'm taking Fluoxetine and will let you know how things go :)

Graz

Lindalou64
21-08-08, 13:21
Hello Graz And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

kellie
21-08-08, 15:23
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
You will also find a lot of ppl who feel or have felt just like you do.
keep posting with your fears and we will help you as much as we can.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

milly jones
21-08-08, 21:55
a warm and wonderful nmp welcome to u

love milly xxxxx

lorac
22-08-08, 19:24
Hi Graz

Welcome to the site you will meet people on here who will understand what you are going through and offer good advice and support.

Take care

Carol