PDA

View Full Version : Fighting and achieving...

mjh74
12-05-05, 23:13
Hi all,

After some great advise from the very helpful Meg, I started to try and change my mind set and my daily habits. Instead of dwelling on the thought of every swallow and whether I'm choking or not, I decided to start with some distractions. My first day being Monday, I started work on a little electronics project which ended up with me being totally submersed for about 3 hours in the same position. I was enjoying what I was doing but when I stood up, I felt really strange, my neck and shoulders had locked and I was dizzy and felt out of it. Before I could stop it I entered a panic attack (haven't had one for 5 months) which lasted for about half an hour. I laid down for about 2 hours after and felt relatively "ok" again. Undetered, I decided to try again yesterday by going for a ride to my sisters house to get out, I managed ok and decided to go for a quick shop in the big Tescos on the way back (at about 11pm). By the time I left there it was midnight and I'd handled it aided with my raspberry chewing gum and a bit of courage!

Today was my first visit to occupational health at work which I was dreading, I attended the appointment and told her everything, she totally understood and was very compassionate. We spoke about doing some theraputic hours at work when I felt up to it. After that I decided to go in and see my work collegues for a "flying visit" and ended up being in there for an hour and a half! Also, this time when entering the office, I didn't feel all strange and have the weird "tunnel vision" type thing that I'd had the last time I tried a visit.

I'm classing these 2 days as the start of my recovery and have reaslied it takes quite a bit more work than I've been giving it over the past few months. It IS tough and it does mean pushing your 'safe' boundaries to see what happens but I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run.

Here's looking positively...

Mark

Meg
13-05-05, 05:50
Mark..

Glad its going well. Sorry about Monday..

Think we did discuss posture and moving shoulders regularly... you'll remember next time now

Fabulous about the trips out and feeling so much better, keep it going..Very well done and yes sorry, it is hard work.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
13-05-05, 07:23
Hi Mark

Glad you are doing so well.

Well done on the positive attitude and the progress you're making.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

mom22
13-05-05, 12:31
Hi Mark,

Positive attitude like that is bound to take you a long way. Glad to hear you're moving forward.

Sue

PS The gum thing is good eh?!!

kairen
13-05-05, 13:56
Hi Mark

Good for you Mark, great to hear your looking more positive, remember to keep telling yourself how well your doing, It is hard work but it does get easier, i think once you trust and believe the advice you are given it makes all the diffference, I know the advice i have read of Meg has been priceless, and when you think about it, it all makes such perfect sence, I think had i not found this site i would have slipped back into my old ways, but having this site as a back up is great, so once againg mark good to hear your doing so well, take care mate xxxx

kairen x

nomorepanic
13-05-05, 20:10
Mark

A big hug mate and so pleased things are going so well for you.

You are doing so well so keep it up ok!!!

Nicola

sal
13-05-05, 21:30
Mark

Hope it went well.

You are doing so well.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.