PDA

View Full Version : Sleeplessness/insomnia :(

Graz
21-08-08, 02:17
Well, one day after I started taking Fluoxetine, here I am as I type this message at 2AM wide awake, after just 2 hours sleep (Woke up at about 1am). It has to be the drug because I can't remember the last time I haven't had a good night's sleep.

I feel as tired as anything but I just can't doze off, and I also feel sick, dizzy and shaky. I was far healthier and better off before I started taking this. Looks like yet another trip to the doctor is in order in 6 hours...I can't cope with this every night :weep:

xBettyBoopx
21-08-08, 03:29
Hi Graz

So sorry that you're having a bad experience with this medication. I've never taken it so I don't know the side effects. Have you read the leaflet that comes with it? Does it mention sleeplessness? Maybe you are anxious about taking a new drug & that's why you feel this way. Most drugs take a while to get into your system & do the job that they are supposed to do. Do you have to get up for 2moro/2day?

I see you're still here (3.19am):mad: must be awful feeling so tired but not being able to get to sleep. Are you feeling anxious at the moment? I don't go to bed until I can hardly keep my eyes open, that way I know that I will prolly fall asleep straight away, but I wouldnt' be able to do that if I was working, which it why I asked you if you have to get up for work.

I know I haven't been any help:weep: but do you think putting the radio on low would help? On like classical music or something like that?

Sorry I'm pretty hopeless really, but I do try. I hope you get some sleep soon & that you have better luck at the drs.

Take care

Els
xxx

Ozzy
21-08-08, 04:47
When i was taking Fluoxetine about 2 year's ago i had the same problem was so tired and couldn't sleep i was awake for 3day's(with around 4hours sleep) at one point i went back to the doctor's and asked them to change my med's then changed it from fluoxetine to citalopram and gave me some zopiclone just incase i couldn't get off but the fluoxetine has a side affect of insomnia i think if i remember rightly i would go back to the doctor's and ask if they could change it for you as it dosnt seem the right one for you, saying that give it a week or 2 and see if the side affect ware's off it sometime's does but if it's a real problem do it sooner then later, also take it as early as you can sometime's if u take it after 1pm you wont be able to sleep at night (hurd this from a cpn once) hope u get the sleep u need and hope this help's a bit
take good care
Ozzy :)

Graz
21-08-08, 10:48
Hi Ozzy and Els, huge thanks for the replies :) . Sorry I never got round to replying last night. On a good note I think I managed to get back to sleep at around 4, but I had to be up at 6:30 to get to work...and as the travel to work (2 hour journey!) is my main anxiety cause it certainly didn't help!

Today I felt worse than ever, and barely managed to get into work (I missed 1 bus because I couldn't face getting on it), but my Dr said Fluoxetine may make the anxiety symptoms worse for a week or so.

Many thanks for the suggestions of music, that never crossed my mind and I'll give it a try. Unfourtunately insomnia is one (of very many) side effects of the drug. I've decided to try and keep going with it for a week or so- thank goodness a bank holiday weekend is coming up! And I have been taking it in the evening, so I'll try to move it towards the morning in the next few days.

Thanks again! :hugs:

Mags 2
21-08-08, 18:00
Hi Graz,

Not sure if it helps, but I take my Fluoxeine in the morning. So far, touch wood, I haven't suffered from insomnia. I know that everyone is different, but it's worth trying. There is nothing worse than lying awake, and the worry of needing to sleep in order to get up in the morning just makes things worse :weep:

I do hope that this is just a stage for you, and that it soon passes.
Take care,

Graz
24-08-08, 10:12
Hey Mags and all :) Just to say that the insomnia seemed to be a one off event and every other night so far has been fine. Many thanks for the suggestions. Now for the wait to see if it works!

Mags 2
24-08-08, 18:14
Good luck :)

xBettyBoopx
24-08-08, 22:44
Hey Graz

So glad you are sleeping now :yesyes: :yesyes:

Good luck with everything.

Els
xxxx
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40290000/jpg/_40290651_sleeping300.jpg:) :) :) :) :) :)