PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone overcome health anxiety?

Lissy43
21-08-08, 17:22
If so how did you do it?

I am on a waiting list for CBT and I read a book about health anxiety but I feel im gettin worse not better. I can't switch off from the things ive googled in the past, these things stick in your head. I never google now but I don't forget what ive read either:blush:

HeatherMc
25-08-08, 19:08
libby I have the same thing, do not ever ever google your symptoms! if anything go on the health anxiety forum and vent your feelings on there it is more productive and will put your mind at rest CBT will help I have had some work off my therapist and it does make sense, still getting panic attacks and worrying but things will start making sense soon hun, go on the ha pages and have a good look around also read the members stories.

Cheers

Heather
:hugs:

nickieb
25-08-08, 19:42
Hi LIbby

I too suffer from Health anxiety and its awful. Mine began 6/7 months ago at one stage i got that bad i made myself very ill & suffered a breakdown. Following lots of blood tests nothing else i kinda came to the conclusion that i didn't have a brain tumor like i first though but was suffering with my nerves due to health anxiety.

As i started to relax a bit more my nerves and stress did too. I on average probably have 1 bad week out of four....usually leading up to my period where i get a headache & pow it blows it up again. Also if i get a twinge in my head this can easily turn my stress levels into space....

I think its fair to say i am 70% better than i was at my worst but i still very much have Health anxiety & still very much rules my life. I have learnt to accept that i will always have it, as after researching it it appears its a life long thing. I don't thing anyone will ever be cured of it as we all have to get ill & that will flare it up again. However i think we can learn to deal with it & tackle it better when we do get it at its worse. It has never ruled my life and i will never let it as i suppose i am quite strong like that. I cannot explain how difficult this last 7 months of my life has been especially as i am a nurse too and know too much & keen to learn about health & illness so that's been very difficult as my imagination runs wild....

I think the best advice is take each day at a time & live your life to the full!!!!!!

Best wishes
Nicola