PDA

View Full Version : What’s wrong with me?

leon_telford
22-08-08, 13:05
What’s wrong with me?

I apologise for the length of this in advance.

I’ll start from the “beginning”.

In June 2008 I went on “drinking” holiday with 7 lads to Ayia Napa (Cyprus) for a week, the week consisted of heavy drinking at night followed by plenty of water in the day time.

I of course ate in the day. Sleep wise I was getting in at 3am average a night, and waking up say 12 mid day, caught a fair bit of sun as was fairly tanned but used sun cream, other than face. I forgot! Doh!

Must stress now I hardly ever drink while in the UK, I go out once a weekend maybe.

Before we went out every night in Cyprus I took a couple of “Pro Plus” pills to get me going,

I felt OK on Holiday other than the standard “hang over”. But know I was over doing it on Holiday!

The problem started in the departure lounge when we were waiting for the plane home.

While in the duty free shop I felt like “I wasn’t there” like everything was surreal, felt my balance was all over the place, yet I’m sure to other its looked like I was walking and looked normal.

Just had to sit down, I’d been out till 6am the night before and slept till say 11am(ish)?

Grabbed something to eat (crisps and water) however didn’t feel any better, sat down till the plane came.

On board the plane I was at the back, against the window.

Plane took off as normal and I’ve flown MANY times before without any problems.

About say an hour into the 5 hour journey I felt really hot all of a sudden, my palms started sweating and I felt faint again. The planes generator was near me as I could hear it; however I could hear “music” in the sound as well. I had pins and needles in my right hand. Started thinking I wasn’t really there. My breathe was going., flashing lights I saw as well!

I asked for a glass of water as felt really dry in my mouth, started shaking. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack and had to get off that plane. I stress now I don’t smoke, take regular exercise and I am fairly well slim. I didn’t really have chest pains tho! Just felt like I was “dying”. I didn’t mention it to anyone and rode it out till we stopped in Birmingham.

The plane landed I was instantly OK after that. Put it all down to too much booze and caffeine. Plus lack of sleep during the week and my body was “drying out”.

Few days later I started back at work, felt alright until the floor again felt like it was “moving” underneath me, my ability to feel things when I touched them started going as well.. It has gone on and off to this day, just feels everything around me isn’t happening.

Tends to kick in public places like shopping centres, busy bars and at work.

Also had the “panic attack” since after a night out in the afternoon after, symptoms same as I had on the plane.

Also starts when I’m in the gym. I have been to the doctor who said I had clautsrophia, which seems strange as I am not really worried about small spaces. He prescribed me some drugs to take before a moment when it could kick in (e.g. in a shopping centre) the drugs he gave me are called Propranolol Hydrochloride 40MG.

The pills seem to work OK once I take them but I don’t fancy taking pills all the time, any advice? I don’t think I had a heart attack on that plane as I do things like Football still.

And in general I feel OK, just get this whole “balance” thing and my touch and feel and sometimes started panicking over it. Feel like the floor is moving underneath me! Feel like I am “sinking” into the ground, also smell seems to be going, though I may have a cold on the way!

I’m 26 by the way as I didn’t stress my age.

Any questions feel free to ask so I can understand this, doctor took my Blood pressure and that was all fine and normal.

My diets I consider well varied and drink two litres of water a day. Take multi vitamin and cod liver oil daily. With regards to drinking I isn’t drank in over two weeks so can’t be drink.

Any support and advice more than welcome!

Thanks

Leon

dawny
22-08-08, 13:17
hi leon,

good to see you here,

firstly the symptons you are getting are anxiety, they are nothing really to worry, as they are harmless although scary...you should read the symptons page, this will help you understand what it happening to your body....

...panic is very scary, but again is harmless, the thing is is not to become so scared of them that you start avoiding situations such as, flying, shopping etc....

read as much info as you can and everyone on here will be helpful,

panic and anxiety can both be overcome, so don't feel this is the end

good luck leon

dawny x

titchjd
22-08-08, 13:22
Hi Leon ...welcome 2 NMP ..you will get alot of help and advice on here .

It sounds like you have anxiety and had a panic attack on the plane ....I also have those feelings of faint and floor moving etc and not being with it .

Because you had bad experience on plane which could have been due to the excess drinking etc your body (well mind) has become sensitive 2 certain feelings and releases adrnaline causing anxiety .

I would suggest you read a book like Claire Weekes which will explain exactly what happens to your body and why ...Im currently having CBT which is helpfull ....so maybe ask your doctor if they can refer you .

The more you panic over the feelings the worse it gets so when u start 2 feel panicky ...sit down if poss and just take in deep breaths and try 2 relax ....You must understand that nothing bad will happen 2 u however bad you feel it will subside if you see your feelings through xx

Let me know how u get on and we are here 2 help anytime x
Titch xx

PUGLETMUM
22-08-08, 13:43
:winks: hiya leon, well you are very very new to all of this, so you neednt worry about it becoming a regular thing in your life.

i dont agree with your gp at all - a panic attack on a plane doesnt not mean you are claustrophobic!!! everybody wants to run when they panic - thats exactly what its for - to get you the hell away from the danger!!!!

but obviously you had no danger on that plane except for the 'fear' that the symptoms were making you think and feel - th efact you thought you were going to die, is clear indication that your physical symptoms of 'not being there, in the airport' are the root cause of your fear. im no doc but i would suggest a week of partying that you dont normally do would have been the cause of your 'weird' feeling - which instead of you accepting as just that, you then became 'frightened' by these harmless sensations and progressed into the fight/flight mode pretty quickly - which is exactly how panic happens - very very quickly - which is opne of the reasons it all seems so hard to unravel because you cant make the connection to how or why it started - it always appears to happen spontaineously? but it doesnt, the cause of your panic was the questioning of your your 'weird' sensations in the airport.

also you do go onto have more incase your are saying ' well why did i have another one, and isnt that evidence that i must have something seriously wrong with me?' - the truth is that the brain 'remembers' the panic and if you even think about it happening again or if you are in a similar situation your brain' thinks' it is in danger again - which it isnt but you have to jus tride out the panic symptoms with out running until your body and mind return to normal - which they always do - you are suffering classic fight/flight symptoms - remember the feeling of 'fear' is one of the worst symptoms in the whole situation? take care, emma:winks: