CrossingTheWater
22-08-08, 15:11
A typical trip out goes something like this:

Getting ready to go out - already worried about having a panic attack
Going outside - even more scared about having a panic attack
Having a panic attack - 'I knew this would happen!'
Panic attack over - 'What if I have another one?!'
Back home - ' I don't want to go out again because it will happen again'

I used to be scared of something bad happening to me or my family whilst we were outside, but now I'm just scared about panic attacks and their symptoms - breathlessness, dizziness, the ground swaying, choking sensation, going hot, hands and legs feeling tingly and then going numb, hyperventilating, feeling sick, racing thoughts, feeling as if i'm going mad or dying etc. Even if I know that I won't die, it doesn't change the fact that it feels as if the world is ending. Unless I stop being scared of being scared, then it's impossible to stop having panic attacks. Where can I start? It's like an endless cycle.

I hope this makes sense. After a few minutes outside, I begin to look like this: :unsure: :huh: :ohmy: :wacko: :scared15: then like this :blush: when it's all over.

Wenjoy
22-08-08, 15:52
Tee hee - loved your smileys at the end of your post!
I know what you mean.i can go outside but always worry before going shopping, cafes etc - what if i feel hot and dizzy,suppose Im not near an exit, suppose I feel faint inthe queue etc etc
My CBT therapist told me to turn the What Ifs into So Whats - so what if you feel hot - just take your coat off - its probably stuffy in the shop - fan your face with a magazine - who cares - people are not looking at you because they are too self centred and not bothered.

Easier said than done I know. Walked into town to do shopping today and walked round the shop utnil a there was a til with no queue coz I hate standing still in a hot shop!!!

We all cope and we all overcome but it takes different amounts of time - as claire weeks says in her books - Face, Accept, Float through the fear and try to think of other things.

Hope this helps.Wenjoy x

sunnydays
22-08-08, 16:05
Hi,

You could have been describing me in your post. I am agoraphobic but have plucked up enough courage now to go out. I hate doing so though.

Like you, I get worked up into a right state before I even step outside the door. Once outside I can feel my breathing starting to play up, then I feel faint, weak legs, tight stomach nauseated and just want to sit down.

I really don't know what to do about it. I keep hoping that one day I will wake up and everything will be back to normal again. I will be able to go out and feel normal. That's not happened yet but I keep hoping!

love
Sunny

thevoicewithinme
22-08-08, 16:15
Hi, again...what you describe is me!!

I am an agoraphobic (or should I say a recovering agoraphobic)...up until 3 weeks ago I wouldn't go out apart from the garden...now most evenings I go for short drives, with someone with me...but yes I still get all the above feelings..but on the positive side...I do know that it won't last forever.

When my daughter was born 19 years ago I suffered with severe post natal depression, which led to panic attacks and then agoraphobia and I was housebound for 7 years...then one day I decided enough was enough and bit by bit (i.e. opened front door...stood on doorstep etc) I started to go out. Eventually I overcame it and was free from it all for 12 years...unfortunately due to some horrid events in my life last year...my panic attacks came back and I became agoraphobic again and have been this way now since February of this year...but the one thing I am determined about is that I AM going to get better..I have done it before and I CAN do it again.

It's not easy I know, and yes we do feel frustrated, annoyed and even silly at times...but we can all beat this with a little (or lot) of determination.

Kaz