PDA

View Full Version : Antihistamine Mediation & Anxiety

minihaha
23-08-08, 00:53
A few weeks ago i was suffering from a rash on my face, arms and neck, on the advice of the pharmacist i took a pirityn tablet once daily and applied a mild steriod cream to the affected area. After a week it was still the same so i made an appt with my gp who prescribed a stronger antihistamine tablet and told me to stop using creams etc (i am an excema sufferer so i am very aware of the effects of lotions and potions on my skin......) Within 10 mins of taking the prescribed tablets my pulse was jumping out my neck, increased heart rate, dry mouth, nauseau and tremors. My sis in law was with me and insisted that we phone NHS direct and i was then seen by an off duty doctor who having seen my notes suggested that it was an anxiety attack ...fair enuff the symptons were very similar. However in the last few days the rash has appeared again, the tingly lips and itchiness and once again i have used the antihistamine tabs and the same reaction occured, only this time i had severe dizziness and a rushing in my ears like i was going to faint.

Have any other anxiety sufferers experienced this with anithistamines?

worriedGrace
23-08-08, 19:36
Have you taken anti histamines before? I have a lot of allergies and my doctor told me you can actually be allergic to anti histamine. Just a thought.

lesleya
23-08-08, 19:52
Hi hun
I used to fine taking antihistamines up until a year ago, but last time i took one for a rash (loritadine) i had an allergic reaction to it. Wish i could take them as i get hayfever now and could do with some relief.
Could be like worriedgrace suggested you might be allergic to the anihistamine your taking. Ask your chemist or gp for advice as there may be different type you could try to help you.
Good luck