PDA

View Full Version : Periods....

orangeblossom
24-08-08, 15:43
I know this is probably a pretty bizarre thing to ask, and I completely understand if no one else wants to talk about it at all, but since it has happened to me, I also wonder if it has happened to anyone else!!

I wondered whether any of the other women on this site had experienced amenorrhea, ie, whether their periods had stopped for any length of time due to stress? And also, how you felt when they started again?

I ask because it has happened to me - I've only just started my periods again after they stopped for 7 months. When I first mentioned it to my GP, he said that it was more likely than not to be due to stress and that he had known it to happen to quite a few people in his clinic.

Threepointonefour314
24-08-08, 15:48
This happens to me all the time, but usually only for a month or two. It happened about 4 times this year.

Anxious_gal
24-08-08, 16:15
I have had lighter ones due to anxiety.

Zebedee
24-08-08, 17:31
Mine never stopped but are definitely heavier and more troublesome when stressed. UUGH!

The Fool
24-08-08, 19:05
i cant really comment becuase i only started mine 4 months ago

weeleese88
24-08-08, 19:36
mines stopped for 6 months last year!!

marie1974
24-08-08, 19:45
i have had lighter ones if i stressed and also i if lose too much weight they get lighter too.

CrossingTheWater
25-08-08, 13:01
I haven't had my period for five months because of stress. I can't complain though...they're awful.

orangeblossom
26-08-08, 22:15
lol, I know what you mean, things were much simpler without periods! But, I have to say that now I seem to have mine back it feels as if I am making real progress with my anxiety - ie if my body is healthy enough to have a period, I must be doing something right!

I find it really strange/interesting that our anxiety can have such an impact on our bodies.. :-S

I remember when I was in my early teens I lost some hair to alopoecia because my stress levels were so high... I guess my anxiety started early(!) But it grew back when my anxiety began to decrease...

northern_sky
27-08-08, 00:39
I haven't had my period for five months because of stress. I can't complain though...they're awful.

Ditto. I didn't have any for about 7 months after my first big panic attack. That is very unusual for me I've always had :blush: :ohmy: long heavy regular periods. I have been overjoyed to have none/not very often ones.

My Dr doesn't seem bothered. :huh:

heath
28-08-08, 22:25
yes but only late for ten days then back to normal. but it is very normal.x

Natural Mystic
23-11-08, 19:15
i cant really comment becuase i only started mine 4 months ago
oh to be so young :doh:

Diane O'Brien
23-11-08, 19:22
My periods now are lighter and lasts only 2 days, I have lost a lot of weight so I think its all to do with that as well.

Oceanblue
24-11-08, 06:54
I'm all over the place with mine.

Sometimes I get them horribly heavy, other times not much at all, this month (although I've had the emotional low feelings and some physical pain and sickness,.. nothing ?):huh:. Don't know whats going on, i'm supposed to start taking the mini pill this month. Although I hate periods as they may make me feel so ill, I do wish they were regular as It's making me feel so confused,.. I have a fear of getting pregnant. I have two young children and they are my world,.. but I could never do it again, as childbirth scares me to death. I had bad experiences and I just couldn't go through that ever again.

orangeblossom
24-11-08, 09:49
I can empathise with experiencing all the emotions/painful breasts and things that are associated with periods, but without actually having them. That is what I have had for about a year now, and although I had one this month, it was one of the very few I've had in a very long time. I went to see my GP about it and he thinks - for me at least - it might be that I have polycystic ovaries. At which point I burst into tears.

I have to go to hospital for an ultrasound scan and I am so scared that I can't even express it in words...

Jan63
29-11-08, 22:01
Mine are a bit erratic lately too - I had one in August and then it was October when I had another one and I haven't had one since October now so god knows when I will get another one. Don't know if mine is because of anxiety or because I am nearing the menopause though.:huh:

ElizabethJane
01-12-08, 16:01
I dont have any as I had a hyst in 2007. Dear Orangeblossom please do not worry about polycystic ovaries. There are treatments which can help you. Try to keep a healthy weight and track of your periods or lack of them. If you want to have children there are treatments that can help you. I had IVF to eventually have my son. For painful breasts, bloating and PMT ( I still have my ovaries) try agnus castus and evening primrose oil but check with your GP first.

1PETER567
02-12-08, 00:08
Hi everyone,
I myself have had no period for quite awhile. This has been a problem before anxiety was ever a problem. You might want to consider getting your thyroid gland checked out. I was diagnosed with hypthyroidism. I am not getting treated right now because I have no insurance. I will in three months because my husbands will kick in. Anyway that could be a cause and another interesting thing that thyroid problems can cause is depression and anxiety. I am looking forward to getting checked out.

Blot
05-02-09, 11:03
I find that my periods are erratic when I am stressed, light but it lasts for weeks instaed of 3 days.
Yuk!

Blot

Insomniac
06-02-09, 09:38
Interesting questions, stress can do that. I don't miss my period but I do have problems with anxiety when my period is due. Thats my version of PMS, anxiety over everything large or small! lol

orangeblossom
06-02-09, 15:09
Elizabeth - thanks for your message and support, I appreciate it. I'm actually going for a scan at some point when it is arranged (hurray for the nhs - LOL!) to see whether i have a problem or whether it really is stress-related... it will still be a few years before i want to have children, but i am hopeful that it will happen.

x x

lonely
12-09-09, 22:32
no i even have anorexia nervosa and i weigh very little yet i still have regular periods that the gp doesn't understand why i still have them

bouche12
08-05-10, 08:20
So glad found these posts. I am 14 days late at the moment and 2 negative pregnancy tests! Thinking back, over the last maybe 6 months I've only had one period that is typicaln of what I usually get, the others have been really light. Really freaking out right now!

loulabella
08-05-10, 11:08
I have more than usual, 3 in last month. I think it's med related! X

bouche12
09-05-10, 10:07
mmmmm I'm not on meds, and only 29. Have had some light brown discharge today.

EmmaJane
15-07-10, 13:31
Im worried about this at the moment. Mine is a week late, so im really concerned it may be something sinister.

alwaysanxious
15-07-10, 22:58
mine have been longer and lighter plus early and late but that could be due to my age i am 41, some symtoms im having could be due to pre menopausel??? i have found that my pmt is less i dont want to kill any1 this month so thats good!!:)

Louise2009
16-07-10, 23:27
Mine stopped for 8 months once! am sure it was stress! They have always been irregular, usually a month or few weeks late.

xx

JaneC
17-07-10, 01:19
Anyone got an answer to a menopause-related question please? Does one's periods stop just like that - or do they sort of tail off? Mine's nearly a week late and it's driving me nuts? I'm and not pregnant.

annette1
17-07-10, 06:14
My periods stopped completely following a trauma when I was 49. Initially my GP thought it was shock now she says it also sent me into menopause, although I have no other symptoms & they were very regular before.
That was 5yrs ago, they've never come back & I've since been diagnosed with PTSD.

KittyKate
17-07-10, 23:58
When my dad died my periods stopped for 4 months. Think it was just stress x