PDA

View Full Version : help please? questions ..

so jems like
24-08-08, 22:58
So I got into an accident where I got hit by a car. This happened a little over a year ago. I started getting anxiety/panic attacks just 3-4 months ago. Could the accident be associated with my panic attacks? Right after the accident, I started getting nightmares and couldn't even sleep in the same room anymore, until this day. Also, recently I started getting nightmares again relating to cars. Some dreams are me witnessing a car accident, some are of my behind the wheel and crashing. One dream which really freaked me out was when I was driving and I was getting a panic attack and I crashed. So when I woke up I was shaken up thinking I had a panic attack then and I couldn't move. I don't know, and I just started getting these headaches and it's been really bothersome. I'm also short of breath a lot and feel like I have a brain tumor or a heart problem. I think I may just be going crazy :wacko: I'm just all confused. I just got to college about 2 weeks ago, and maybe the transition and new setting is triggering new symptoms. I don't know. Can anyone relate? Anyone have answers? It would greatly be appreciated :)

weeleese88
24-08-08, 23:07
hello!
i think your panic attacks are related even tho it was a while ago that your accident happened!
i had a bad time in my life and i wasnt affected untill 2 years later!
i also have the same symptoms with breathing...
i have really bad dreams expecially the last couple of weeks!
i also get very paranoid!

hope you feel better soon!

lisa xx

Tom_M
25-08-08, 00:34
Hi so jems like

Sometimes we repress something that we can't cope with, but our subconscious still trys to make sense of it, trying to find a solution to why it scares us. Usually it does this when we dream. Dreams are just a collection of things jumbled up to create a scenario. Things that we don't understand or scare us. You can resolve it at a concious level by keep reassuring yourself that everything is ok now and the chances of it happening again are remote.

Tom

stephlet
25-08-08, 19:12
I definately think that your panic and anxiety is due to the car accident. I had a terrible boat accident over 10 yrs ago, but its only recently that ive had nightmares and flashbacks of it. Stress and PTSD can occur even over 20 years later in some people, its amazing how people black things to cope.
You are not going crazy and most probably dont have a heart problem, it just feels like it due to the physical symptoms you feel when anxious. When under a lot of stress, this can increase panic, nightmares and anxiety etc.

Hope i could help a bit.

Steph x

eternally optimistic
25-08-08, 19:17
Hi

It does sound like its a combination of things, the accident and perhaps going off to college.

Whatever you do, dont let it get to you and keep it to yourself.
Try and find someone that you can talk it through with.

I had a car accident 20 years ago and never had the opportunity
to discuss what went on. I did have my family, who were great, but
sometimes you need someone who is impartial.

Hope college goes well and try not to worry too much.

J