PDA

View Full Version : Taking things for granted?

xxlisaxx08
25-08-08, 05:52
I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia. This is my second relapse of my agoraphobia and it is the longest i've went staying indoors (except when I have to go to doctors etc) It's been about 17 months but the last 4 weeks I've become quite scared about what my future holds if I don't get over this so I have pushed myself to do things such as I went for dinner (which sounds mad I know!) and went to a birthday party and other small things and the anxiety I experienced was no where near as bad I imagined! But I still don't feel happy or proud that I have achieved this and it's really worrying me as I learned the last time it is vital to praise everything you achieve no matter how small.

I was wondering if anyone has/is experienced this?

Lisa x

pooh
25-08-08, 08:22
Hi Lisa

If you can the sooner you get out there doing things the better. You should be very proud of yourself for achieving the things you have (thats a long time to be housebound).
I have gone this year from only being able to travel two stops on the bus to now being able to travel quite widely panic and anxiety free. Sometimes is a bit like when you fall off your bike you gotta get back up and start riding it again or you may never.
Small steps are the best way to do it to build your confidence Lisa. Yopu've beat it before you can and will again I am sure

Pooh xxx

Eva May
25-08-08, 11:50
Oh my god yes I have! I've noticed it when thinking back on what I used to be able to do. At the time I would always still think about what I couldn't do. I used to be able to travel all around the country with my boyfriend, I used to be able to have him stay the night in my house and at the time it just wasn't good enough because I couldn't fly or go abroad. Now that I can't go anywhere except a few certain places, that's all I can think about - where I can't go! I really think we need to appreciate to a huge degree all the little things we can do, like going to the shops or for a short walk. I know they are little compared to what other people can do but they are massive triumphs for us

xBettyBoopx
25-08-08, 15:27
Hi Lisa

Here is my take on whats happened (stress only how I see it). The fact that you didn't feel particularly happy about the fact that you went out to dinner & to a party, means your mind is acting like a 'normal':shrug: :shrug: persons. In other words, if you were not suffering from anxiety/panic you wouldn't see what you did as an achievement. I think actually this is a good thing because you will now go off to do more & more because the smaller things are not making you feel good. Um, does that make sense?

Good luck with everything, take care,

Els
xx

xxlisaxx08
28-08-08, 00:55
Yeah that makes sense. I do think a lot of the time "why should I give myself praise for something so small that everyone else can do" but I suppose I have to accept that to me is 'big' and I find it difficult to do. I know that if I keep making myself go out everyday even just to do something small my anxiety will rapidly decrease in a few weeks. It's just finding the strength and determination to make myself fight it.

Lisa x