PDA

View Full Version : Sinking in the stomach

Yvonne
25-08-08, 11:14
Who else gets this horrible sensation - I hate it. You can be feeling ok and then this real sinking feeling in the stomach - the promise of impending doom it feels like. I hate it!!!

Also - how the hell do you get the cbt to work for you. It's not easy to keep chalenging the thoughts and changing them - even when I do the feelings have kicked in already and the little bugger thoughts have created anxiety! demons they are.

No seriously - what is the key to getting hold of this cbt lark.

Love to all xx

Yvonne

worriedGrace
25-08-08, 11:57
Yes, I get that awful sinking stomach feeling and have had it since childhood. It feels as if I have just been given terrible news and the shock that goes with it.

Regarding CBT. I also can't get my head around that even though I've read the books etc. To me it seems like someone telling me what I should be feeling and saying that my own thought don't count for anything. For example,I am often upset by what people say to me and generally I deserve to feel like this because the have hurt me.CBT seems to be saying that I'take things the wrong way' which is what people say when I tell them they have hurt me.

Yvonne
25-08-08, 17:29
I know exactly what you're saying Grace. I don't think we take things the wrong way (I've had this said to me too) - I think it's the fact that we're super super sensitive and we react and dwell on things people have said more than others do. This is what it is with this anxiety lark - we are oversensitive I reckon.

The thing is with thoughts - not all thoughts are true or rigidly right. I read a book about it. Millions of thoughts go through our minds each day and these thoughts should not be taken too much notice of - sadly we do take notice of them and believe them.

If I could get ahold of the cbt properly it would help me a lot. However, it is difficult to change the thought habits of a lifetime isn't it. My own personal view is that when we feel ok we don't take too much notice of our thoughts - or our feelings for that matter - the thoughts come and go and we don't take too much notice. Also when we feel ok we are more interested in what we are doing rather than living in our minds. I think we are highly sensitised and thisis why we react to our thoughts and feelings so badly which starts off the vicious circle of anxiety.

Anyone else out there know how I can get rid of my automatic negative thoughts and completely brainwash myself into not thinking about anxiety and not taking t oo much notice of the horrid feelings.

Take care all x
Yvonne

bottleblond
25-08-08, 17:43
Hi Yvonne

I woke up this morning with that very same feeling in my stomach and it hasn't left me all day. I had yet ANOTHER argument yesterday with a nasty neighbour and i know that is the cause of it but it's still horrible and makes me feel very jumpy :shrug:

Sorry i don't have any answers regarding the CBT but i wish you loads of luck with it.

Love Lisa
xxxxx

Coni
25-08-08, 19:14
Hi Yvonne, I know this feeling well....and like Lisa I often wake up with this almost as soon as consciousness creeps in...it is horrible but what you have to tell yourself is that its just a feeling, nothing more and probably a feeling based on a faulty thought process. Just because it FEELS like something terrible is going to happen doesnt mean it will, and the thought that triggered it may well have been a sneaky one that crept in, with you barely noticing.

Distraction is good at times like this, my psychologist even suggested choosing a letter from a page of a book and counting to see how many times the letter appears, anything to get your thoughts away from how you feel.

Excercise is good too as it tends to provide an outlet for any excess adrenaline and can lift your mood and boost confidence. Well thats the theory anyway...if only I could practice what I preach lol!

Ive never had cbt, but am trying to work on challenging my thoughts too, but it is very very hard, because what we think seems so very real to us and so believable. But keep at it...apparently practice makes perfect lol!

good luck

Coni XXX

Captain America
25-08-08, 19:42
hope this helps. the first couple of days that i started cbt there was constant mental chatter going on, and all with myself. it's hard work! what helped me in the end was i did my cbt as a journal every day, and then when the thoughts would hit me during the day i was better prepared to handle them. like, if i knew that i'd be freaking out about something the next day, i'd cbt that in advance. eventually the chatter died down, and i'm just left with the 'biggies' like my health anxiety and stomach problems.

but yeah the early days i was cbt'ing everything from the flu, to mrsa, to car crashes, etc etc. it's exhausting but does work.

Yvonne
26-08-08, 11:04
Thanks so much for all those brilliant replies.

Lisa hope you don't have too much trouble with your neighbours - there's nothing worse.

Coni - yes distraction is the best thing isn't it. That was a good idea your psychologist told you. My therapist keeps telling me "they are only sensations" - and allow yourself to feel how you feel. All good stuff but it takes a while to filter into the old mind when mine is on autopilot to go the anxiety route - however I will keep practising.

Captain - that's a good idea to prepare yourself beforehand. Thank you.

Love to all. xx

Yvonne

june
31-10-08, 11:47
I put "that sinking feeling" into search and came up with this thread.
There is a good discussion here and i chose these 2 quotes.
Which i understand VERY well.
"they are only sensations":ohmy: :mad: Like you when the feeling hits all my good intentions go out the window.
I bought a Tai Chi CD to help with hyperventilation:blush: well it is very good :) but i don't seem to be able to concentrate on it - i see the speck of dust that MUST be sorted The cobweb that wasn't there (just a shadow) it seems as if my mind looks for anything to distract me from helping myself:weep:

yes distraction is the best thing isn't it. That was a good idea your psychologist told you. My therapist keeps telling me "they are only sensations" - and allow yourself to feel how you feel. All good stuff but it takes a while to filter into the old mind when mine is on autopilot to go the anxiety route -(oh so true) however I will keep practising.
My own personal view is that when we feel ok we don't take too much notice of our thoughts - or our feelings for that matter - the thoughts come and go and we don't take too much notice. (also very true) Also when we feel ok we are more interested in what we are doing rather than living in our minds. I think we are highly sensitised and thisis why we react to our thoughts and feelings so badly which starts off the vicious circle of anxiety.
Also my personal thoughts are "that as soon as we 'kinda' sort one problem, a dozen others LEAP in to take its place"
I have an appointment with a psychiatrist later this month - they are trying to dicharge me because " i am only having panic attacks, which can be controlled:ohmy: and because i won't take meds. This is my choice and they should respect that. More than thirty years i was on and off meds and i got sick of them!!!!!:mad: I want proper answers now.
Thanks for listening
June
:hugs: :hugs:

Elsey89
31-10-08, 11:56
I get that feeling just when I leave the end of my street and I feel totally out of my comfort zone. Its awful isn't it?

Does anyone else feel like is a vicious cycle? Like, you get this feeling of anxiety in your stomach, which makes you more nervous and the feeling gets worse until after about half an hour you're a nervous wreck?

bumbles
31-10-08, 11:57
I have been going to CBT for 11 years just because you practice all the time does not mean you will not get poorly it just means you will be able to function when you do. The reason they tell you to drop the thought of temper isnt because your points are not valid ones it is because temper is poison to a nervous person and therefor not wotrth entertaining for the sake of our mental health we go for the peace and not the power. You are entitled to an opinion but it must be stated in a calm cultured manner for the sake of your mental health. It takes a long time to practice non stop watching your every thouight but it is worth it. But we are allways going to get setbacks that is our fate. But CBT can make them less frightning and not last as long. Good luck Practice makes almost perfect.:yahoo:

june
31-10-08, 14:12
Bumbles, how did you get CBT for so long? I got 12 weeks and was told that was all I was entitled to. Enough to learn the basic rules of being calm, and dealing with my panic.
(sorry if I am being nosey)
Best wishes
june

bumbles
31-10-08, 15:53
I am very lucky where I live there are 3 free voluntry group CBT classes and you can stay as long as you like infact they encourage you to stay. I dont know wher I would be without thier support I have managed to live a mormal life for 10 years ina setback at the moment but I am sure I wiill get uot of it soon. Everybody should have such good support.:yahoo: