PDA

View Full Version : fluoxetine (prozac) and diazepam (valium)

Emmie
14-05-05, 22:47
Hiya,
ive just been prescribed these two meds (fluoxetine and diazepam) and am quite nervous about taking them!! I really worry about side effects and i was just wondering if anybody had any experience with these meds- preferably positive! lol.

Thank you
Em x

EmmaJane
14-05-05, 23:02
Hi Emmie,

Im on 40mg of Prozac a day and I have Diazapam to take as and when needed. Around christmas, I needed the Diazapam quite often. Now I hardly need it, only around PMS time. I didnt have any side effects at all. Although the Prozac do take a few weeks to kick in and the Diazapam can make you drowsy.

I know how you feel about taking them, it took me 3 months to get the perscription. Im glad I did, and Im well on the way to a more positive outlook on life.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

henri
14-05-05, 23:10
hi emmie,
you know what they say...different strokes for different folks and all that.
i've only ever been on diazepam - was a fairly low dose. started off taking 5mg over the course of the day and gradually started taking smaller doses. now i reckon i use it once or twice a week - it always calms me down and i've never had bad side-effects.
hope that helps!
henri

Emmie
14-05-05, 23:26
Emma and Henri,
thank you very much for your replies. Its made me feel a little better now. I guess i just have to give it a whirl and see how it works for me. Good to hear that the meds are working for you both. Take care

Em xxx

florence
14-05-05, 23:49
Hi Emmie

I have been on both, but now, just on diazepam (2mg at nights) , I ve been on diazepam for quite a while now, and honestly, it helps me a lot with panic/anxiety, the problem with this sort of medication is the addiction, but its ok for a few weeks.
Prozac has helped me in the past with depression but not with anxiety and is the only anti depressant that didnt give me bad side effects.
Hope that helps, don't worry about taking them or side effects, they won't hurt you, just try and see how you get on.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

LisaD
15-05-05, 02:32
Hi Emmie,

I've never taken either med myself, but I wanted to let you know that my Mom takes Prozac, and as soon as it kicked in she was in the Doctor's office praising God for whoever invented it!! Just remember that its not instantaneous!

Lisa

Sarah-Jane
15-05-05, 09:41
I took Diazapam and it was a life saver only thing is it knocked me out which was good at the time because i was having a really hard time sleeping and relaxing.

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

Emmie
15-05-05, 12:45
Hello,
Florence- do you know if prozac is supposed to help with anxiety? That is what i thought i had but now im thinking it was a rather odd choice of medication. Maybe it helps both anxiety and depression-im just a little confused! lol [:I]

Lisa-thank you for your reply, it has made me feel a bit more positive. I hope it has the same effect for me as it did your mum!!

Sarah-Jane- I am glad thy work for you-its a good job i got your reply because i was thinking of taking one tonight to calm me down before i start my night shifts but i dont want to fall asleep on the job so id better give it a miss! lol

Love Em xxxx

florence
15-05-05, 14:57
Hi Emmie

Yes its supposed to help with anxiety also, it works wonders for some people, and we all have different experiences, side effects, reactions, etc ...with this type of medication. I guess you should try it and see how it goes for you, only you will know how you react to it, hope that makes sense.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

nomorepanic
15-05-05, 15:37
Em

I have been on both Prozac and Diazepam at the same time with no ill effects.

The Prozac helped the depression I had but did not touch the panic attacks.

I hope it helps you too.

Nicola

Meg
15-05-05, 19:38
Emmie,

Prozac is not actually licensed for panic/anxiety disorder in Europe although it is widely precribed for it.

It is licenced for panic in the US.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Emmie
15-05-05, 19:47
Ah i see-thank you Meg thats very interesting to know. (and reassuring!)

xxx

Babynoahandethan
30-05-05, 07:58
Hi There,

This is what I have been looking for. I too have started Fluoxatine and really scared. I have only been on it for 4 dasys and have a really bad rash from rist to elbow on both arms. I have really irratible skin but listening to every one I am just scared there are more side effects coming....

When do I call the doc? I don't really want to change drug cause I am starting to feel better. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? Thanks and good luck to you guys

Emmie
30-05-05, 13:09
Hiya- i think you should give it about 2 weeks and generally the side effects will disappear. If not-go back to the docs and see what they say but it's really good to hear you are starting to feel better. I have been taking the fluoxetine for just over 2 weeks now-im still not 100% sure it's doing anything for me but im sticking with it til i see the doc in a couple of weeks.
Take care

Em xxx

Meg
30-05-05, 19:08
The rash is a symptom of potential hypersensitivety to the medication, please do inform/ see your doctor tomorrow and take his advice of whether you need to stop it or work through it .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...