PDA

View Full Version : new member

danieluk
25-08-08, 16:43
Hi

I have been suffering with panic and anxiety disorders for five years now (that I have been aware of). I think I suffered for some years before that, but unfortunately I was taking mood altering drugs and was unaware of what was really going on.

I was so pleased to find this website about a year ago. I stop by regularily to read stories when I am struggling; it really helps. But I have been too ashamed to join. I feel a lot of shame about how vulnerable I feel these days.

I am 34 and up until I had my first major panic attack, I was courageous, out-going and loved getting the most out of my life.
Nowadays, I have periods where I cope, sometimes weeks at a time; I do my best and try to continue doing the things I love, but I feel I have this "grey cloud" that hangs over me and whether I like it or not, it casts a shadow over whatever I am doing.

I have done 2-4 years of therapy and a fair amount of work on myself. I understand what is happening physiologially, I know myself, my childhood, etc, etc but none of this has given me freedom from the anxiety and I feel so tired now.
I have had to put my work on hold this week as I had a big attack on the weekend, i have also cancelled buying a new home with my partner, which I know she is sad about, as am I.

What hurts the most is that my life is really good. I am successful in my job, I have a lovely home, A wonderful partner, who is very supportive and patient, a great family and good friends. I know this in my head, but I dont feel it in my heart. I feel alone and a failure. I feel that I am deceiving everyone and that no one knows me.

I wanted to finally leave a message on NMP as a way of admitting where I really am in my life and in the hope that someone else feels the way I do.

I have also been given lots of really helpful things to help with my panic and I wanted to share them as I dont want my first post to be "all doom and gloom". I have listed them below, they may be obvoius, but maybe not.

1. I do a meditiation of 10-15 minutes focusing on my breathing. breathing calm into every part of my body.

2. I write "gratitude lists". this is a quick list of 10-20 things that are good in my life. It can be my partner or even just toast, so long as I write them every day. It helps me focus on the positive.

3. I repeat "mantras" that are the opposite to what my head is telling me. for example, my head tells me "I am dying", so I repeat "I am healthy".

4. Running water. For some reason a shower really helps. Maybe that is just me, I dont know.

I know there are lots of useful things out there, but I just wanted to share some of mine.

I hope to be able to talk to other people who feel like me as I am tired of being misunderstood and I am just plain "TIRED".

take care

D

kendo59
25-08-08, 17:36
I also have a bit of a complex about the whole stress/depression thing that I'm suffering with.

Up until last year, I was an outgoing confident sociable bloke, good job, good partner, son at uni, and I thought life was great. A year later, various things happened, I lost my family and job, had a breakdown.

I too feel stressed & depressed about feeling stressed & depressed. It's a huge vicious cycle that I can't seem to break out of.

Little things help temporarily - go for a walk, do a bit of gardening, watch a bit of telly, read a book.... but they are only temporary distractions.

When I'm home, trying to work out where to go from here, the dark clouds circle over me again.

pooh
25-08-08, 18:41
Hi ANd welcome along to NMP

its great that you have decided to join and allow yourself to get some

support

Pooh x

nomorepanic
25-08-08, 20:22
Hi Daniel

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

marie1974
25-08-08, 20:24
hiya and welcome what u suffer from is very common and lots of people on here will b able to offer you advice and support. hugsxxx

danieluk
26-08-08, 00:00
HI all

Its nice to know I am not alone. I am going to try and take some time to do some work on myself and hopefully get back to some sort of everyday living.

thanks

D

Lindalou64
26-08-08, 20:52
Hello Daniel And Welcome , I Wish Ya Well, Linda

lorac
26-08-08, 21:32
Hi Daniel

Welcome to the site, glad you decided to join. I am sure you will find many nice people on here who will understand what you are going through.

Take care

Carol

milly jones
02-09-08, 17:51
A wonderfully warm NMP welcome to you

Milly xxxx :hugs:

alexis
03-09-08, 00:02
Hi and welcome, glad you have found us, hope we can help, Im sure you will make lots of new friends on here.
xxx

Southern_Belle
03-09-08, 16:31
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the site. Many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get support. Glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura