PDA

View Full Version : I sometimes hate Television

Tom_M
25-08-08, 22:49
I don't normally watch TV as I find it usually depresses me in some way. Well I broke my rule today and watched "Extreme makeover home edition" with the misses. It was about this family who had a little girl that had cancer. The beginning of it was OK with lot's of joy and happiness, then I had to go out. On returning the program had finished but the misses spoilt my day completely by telling me the little girl died 7 months after the program was made. Like I really needed to know that. Now I'm not depressed but I feel very sad and no doubt it will effect me for some time. No more TV for me unless I know it's something with a happy ending.

Tom

mothermac
26-08-08, 01:55
I too can get affected by what I watch on tv a lot.I tend to dwell on stuff and if anything is upsetting it can be on my mind for days.If I watch the news and anything is reported about children or cruelty to animals then I have cried before today,my husband sometimes vets things and says its a no go(lol).I think anxiety makes us very emotional and more in tune with other peoples problems or situations and this can make us react much more intensely than if we didn't suffer from it.I suppose in a way if anything is sad or depressing we feel it more cos we are.Hope you soon feel better and perhaps it's time to watch Father Ted or Only Fools And Horses(lol).

Bill
26-08-08, 04:16
I'm exactly the same as you Tom. That's why I admire nurses so much because they face upsetting events every day in their jobs. I just couldn't do their job because I'd be in a constant state of depression!

When I know a programme will be on that I think will upset me, I don't watch it, just like I try not to read newspapers anymore. I don't see the point in upsetting myself over something I can't do anything about. Some programmes also have so much shouting and arguing, they just gets on my nerves so I turn over!!!

I think the professionals would say we're wrong to do this though because they'd say we're "avoiding" hurt. We should actually watch and read upsetting things to de-sensitise us so we don't get affected so badly by them. It's something I'd rather not do though. I think we can still get through life without deliberately upsetting ourselves.

I saw a doctor once who told me if sad programmes upset me so much, don't watch them! I prefer his advice even if it may not be the correct thing to do. I just think living is full of upsets so why should we also watch depressing things that we can't do anything about that just depress us! I'm with you Tom!:winks:

Anxious_gal
26-08-08, 05:04
hmm I love t.v! but i dont dwell on sad stuff, its ok to feel sad its all part of life, without sadness there would be no happiness.