PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself...hello...

Louise123
27-08-08, 09:16
Hello. I'm 28, and had pretty much convinced myself that the anxiety that i have been dealing with over the last year or so could be attributed to a million other things, but have now finally submitted to the fact that i DO have anxiety, i DO have pure O obsessive tendancies, and whilst reading through the various forum threads, can see my thought patterns and behaviours throughout.

I take antenlol for my anxiety, and am seeing a therapist once a week to work through my issues. I have also been a mental health support worker, and the line of work that i am in involves me supporting people on a one-to-one basis, and giving regular feedback, support etc. One of my main barriers in admitting that i was suffering, was that i have felt like i had in some way let down the people that i have supported / do support. But then, i had a bit of a revelation when i was designing an exercise for two members of staff, in order to get them to work more effectively together, and thought...."well if i'm asking for honesty, and genuinity...then i should practise what i preach"..and off i went to the GP's. Ive always had external support through supervision in some capacity, because of the nature of my work. This has always been a significant outlet for me, and i guess that is perhaps why i have managed the condition so well for so many years.

When i reflect, i can see that i have had a huge range of the anxiety related behaviours all the way through my life- from phobias, to fears, to panic, to ritualised behaviours....and now anxiety! I feel at a slight advantage in life because of the learning that i have done in psychology, counselling, supporting people etc, and i'm sure its no accident that i went into the line of work that i have done- in some way its so important for me to refocus the negativity and use it to really empathise with others.

I am also a married mum of one and that combined has been my biggest acheivement in life so far. I adore my 18 month old and whilst i have apologised to her many a time that she has been born to an over-sensitive and somewhat anxious mum, there is nothing that i won't try to learn about this so that i can explain it to her in whatever way that i can, so that she does not have to try and guess and worry about me.

I have had some recent panic attacks, and mostly ruminate about death/dying/upsetting people/not getting it right etc, and i struggle to recognise when i am happy, until after the event. I often have the sense that i am living my life on the outside, but inside i'm in conflict between what my thoughts are- the shame, guilt and embarrassment of them- and dealing with not acting on them- all of which i know is part of anxiety in general. I do feel so much more positive already however, having read through this website and hope that i can get involved in some discussions for support, and to offer it, too.

Well done to everybody who has joined, and blogs so openly- so brave- each and every one of you.

Best Wishes xxx

Graz
27-08-08, 10:43
A warm welcome Louise, I'm glad the site is a help already and all the best for the future :)

kellie
27-08-08, 14:12
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
You will also find a lot of ppl who feel or have felt just like you do.
keep posting with your fears and we will help you as much as we can.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
27-08-08, 15:32
Hello Louise And Welcome , I Wish Ya Well, Linda

Louise123
27-08-08, 17:06
Hi everyone- thanks for giving me a warm welcome. I feel part of the group already xx

pooh
27-08-08, 17:37
hi and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

lorac
27-08-08, 18:01
Hi Louise

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

nomorepanic
28-08-08, 19:08
Hi Louise

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some lovely people and get loads of support and advice along the way.

milly jones
02-09-08, 17:57
A wonderfully warm NMP welcome to you

Milly xxxx :hugs:

alexis
02-09-08, 23:56
Hi and welcome, glad you have found us, hope we can help, Im sure you will make lots of new friends on here.
xxx

Southern_Belle
03-09-08, 16:26
Hi Louise,

Welcome to the site. Many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get support. Glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura