PDA

View Full Version : Being inappropriate...

Louise123
27-08-08, 16:57
Hello

Does anyone else dread the fact that they might do something wildly inappropriate as part of their anxiety/panic/fear etc?

Here are some of my frighteners that can spiral me into a panic;
That i'll wet myself in front of other people
That i'll announce something that i shouldn't
That i'll run a rampage around the supermarket
That i'll try and do something i shouldn't (open the door on a plane..grab the steering wheel of someone driving...to name a couple!)
That i'll go into a panic and have to exit myself wherever i am
That i'll kiss someone i shouldn't or wouldn't want to (!!)

etc etc.....it seems to heighten when the focus is on me- at work meetings / family gatherings when people are listening to me / on the phone when people are listening to me responding to them...it goes on and on and on and on and on.......
:blush:

Fionared
27-08-08, 18:42
I had similar when I was having panic attacks. Mine were mainly to do with 'will I faint' 'If I faint what will happen to my children' 'will someone help me?'. Obviously it never happened - but the fear was there. I have read of people who fear that they will lose control as you describe - again, they NEVER do. :)

Liverbird67
27-08-08, 19:21
Hello
I think that this is a very common theme of thought during a panic attack or sometimes in the anxiety building up to one, I felt a bit like this on Sunday, I boarded a train at an underground station in Liverpool (not my train but one that took me to an outside train stop) whilst on this train, it was packed, people pressing against everyone else against the doors etc, I thought "God if I don't get off this next stop, will I go berserk and lose control?". I didn't and had a 15 min wait for my train by which time I had calmed down considerably and my train wasn't packed.

Again I think this is a very common thought,

Lots of Love

Debbie

Eva May
28-08-08, 12:02
I am always terrified I will get stuck in my panic attack and that it will never end. Wave after wave of terror that will continue until I have to kill myself to make it stop. I'm afraid the feelings will overpower me or something and at the same time I'm not exactly sure what the hell I'm afraid of because I know that it will stop, maybe only for a few seconds or mins but it will stop

Tom_M
28-08-08, 12:17
I think that's half the problem with panic - worrying about doing something in public that will draw attention to yourself. People have got so detached from each other these days that we now have anxiety just being amongst each other. I used to do a lot of travelling on trains. I remember one occasion where I could see this lady in distress. I had to make a decision whether to go and sit by her to calm her down or just do what everyone else was doing - ignore her. Well I took the decision to sit next to her which proved successful in reassuring her. But I guess I could of looked a fool if she took it the wrong way. Sometimes you have to take that chance if you feel it's worthwhile.

Tom

Tom_M
28-08-08, 12:21
I am always terrified I will get stuck in my panic attack and that it will never end. Wave after wave of terror that will continue until I have to kill myself to make it stop. I'm afraid the feelings will overpower me or something and at the same time I'm not exactly sure what the hell I'm afraid of because I know that it will stop, maybe only for a few seconds or mins but it will stop

Hi Eva May

You can always carry Diazepam which will stop a panic attack in it's tracks. That's what I did for a long time

Tom

Louise123
28-08-08, 13:16
Gosh- all so reassuring in so many ways that we each have a version that we struggle with. Really helps to know that there are people out there who are dealing with this type of thing day after day- and successfully keeping going. Really good to read your post replies.

Tom M- i have helped a few people on the underground over the years...an epileptic having a fit / a diabetic having a hypo and a woman fainting....whilst at the time i threw myself into help mode and didnt pay attention to what was going on around me..in hindsight i was petrified that there seemed to be noone else there that was willing to respond- it makes me wonder what would happen if i needed help- would there be people there to look after me?

;0)

chicken licken
28-08-08, 17:20
hi.

I get really riddiculous fears when Im in public too, I hate it and it makes me so angry with myself and effects what I do and stops me doing things.

mine are wetting my self, or getting sweaty crutch and fearing a wet patch looking like Ive wee'd my self.
or soiling myself a little, or some how having poo visably on me ... dont know where its from or who's but what if its there or smells ??
and of course hand in hand with that lot , periods! leaking , comeing on bigtime ... I hate going out anywhere when Im on.

other less toilet related fears are , smelling or looking like I smell and unclean ? regardless of how much Ive washed etc prior!

lately Ive started to worry incase I 'lose it' not sure how exactly but in a mental and crazy way, or I worry I have/ am but I dont know that I have. like I think Im waiting in the que quietly but really Ive just called everyone names and chucked some stuff of the sheves and started rocking ????
if that makes sense.
another is fainting but less commonly
and another is that people are laughing at me cause I look stupid or dont realise something...like toilet roll hanging out my trousers or pants tucked in skirt... or bogey on my face ....
Im glad Im not the only one who walks around thinking thoughts like this, Ive not really ever told anyone other than now ... I'd feel to embarrassed about it .

Louise123
28-08-08, 21:29
Hi chicken licken- nope you aren't alone at all- thanks for being so frank. It can be so horrendous and i know what you mean about it preventing you from doing things- ive rearranged many things as ive not wanted to put myself in a position where i may have to worry about these things. I think it helps to write it down though..i certainly feel better for it xx

mabelina
28-08-08, 22:40
Every time i visit my doctor and he's talking to me, i keep thinking to myself "im gonna kiss you now" and then imagine myself getting up and kissing him! I actually start grinning and im sure he notices. My god i dont even fancy him:shrug:

Louise123
29-08-08, 10:14
mabelina- i know exactly what you mean- your mind just takes you off to a really odd place and i guess you know that you won't actually do it, but its there and so uncomfortable! I had an ex colleague who was telling me he was driven mad by intrusive thoughts that he was going to punch people all the time...i suggested he may have some anxiety related stuff going on, but he refuted this and i then chose not to divulge any of my thoughts of a similar nature!