PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you get a palp?

mabelina
27-08-08, 17:36
Do you ignore it? Do you tell yourself its ok, there harmless? Everytime i get one i immediately jump up and walk somewhere, no idea where i intend going though:shrug: I dont know why i do this, i dont tell myself to do it, it automatically happens. This is why i cant go to the cinema or church or whatever. Id look a bit simple just jumping up and walking:roflmao:

yanksforever
27-08-08, 19:11
Idk. It makes me sad...I try to continue with whatever it is I'm doing. usually I check my pulse following one. It's just awful though. I've never had an EKG, but these have only happend since my HA began, so I am sure my heart is healthy.

One time I had 2 BANGs, those hard skipped beats..so I went to my room and did jumping jacks, and i was like, IM still alive and heart is beating normally again "boom boom boom boom" so I must be fine..

Mikke
27-08-08, 20:27
The first time it happened I rushed to the ER.
Second time too.. :blush:
After seeing 7 doctors, three in real life and consulting four others online, I have slowly come to the conclusion that my heart is probably healthy, and that my anxiety is playing new tricks to me, just as it has before when my hyperventilation made me believe I had asthma, when my low blood sugar made me believe I was diabetic, or when I suspected that my dizziness indicated cancer.
I hold on to this and don't get so scared anymore by the occational skipped beats, especially as I realize they tend to follow stress, but when I have f.ex two skipped beats more or less in a row, I have a tendency to be very alert the rest of the day, checking my pulse, reading through comforting websites added to my favourites in the browser etc.

pi_panic
02-04-09, 06:16
i do the EXACT same thing you do. if it's more than one in a row - i jump up out of my seat and start to run somewhere, i also cough to make it go away. i guess i think i'm going to just get my body moving - or am headed for the ER, but it always stops long before i reach the door. it's a natural reflex i believe.

belle
02-04-09, 07:34
Last Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday AND Sunday i had those horrible single hard thumps happening EVERY 2 - 3 minutes. No let up at all. Then they just stopped. After the 3rd day i must admit i did start getting a little worried, but i could feel my heart otherwise beating okay...so i just got on with it...

x

jbond1978
04-04-09, 12:13
I change position as fast as possible. I tell myself it's ok and normal - just a bit uncomfortable - but normal and harmless. I then do my nose breathing exercises (in-1-2-3-4-5-6-out-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10... etc).

These things are helpful every single time for me.

Rhian_78
04-04-09, 12:21
i tend to whack my chest lol, or cough

but i ALWAYS do the jumping up thing, lol

Gryphoenix
12-04-09, 04:30
I just ignore them, even though they are scary. (Easier said than done, I know!)

I sometimes cough though, if they're really strong. I never seem to get them randomly anymore like I used to, I only get them now after panicking or when I've had a particularly large amount of adrenaline dumped in my system.