PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Anxiety

winkle
27-08-08, 20:27
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who suffers from anxiety when travelling. I am a really nervous passenger especially in my husband's car and it only seems to have got worse over the last few years or so. Hubby has a sports car and although he is a very good driver, I get a bit antsy if he gets a bit too close to the car in front (only on motorways, not normal roads).

I also hate long car rides; anything over a couple of hours and I can feel my stomach start to go and we often have to stop for a loo break, lol.

Anyway, to get to the point, my biggest anxiety is travelling on trains. This all started when I used to live in East London and the trains had no toilets. I now live about an hour away from London (trains here have toilets) and rarely have cause to use the train. I'm meeting up with a friend in October and spending the weekend in London and I'm really dreading the journey. I just know I'm gonna get myself into a real state and make myself ill, spoiling the weekend for myself.

Does anyone else here have any tips for me?

honeybee3939
27-08-08, 20:55
Hi Winkle

Im not too good at travelling either:ohmy: . When i do journeys i take my MP3 player with me and listen to some of my favorite music that takes my mind off the journey. I always make sure i have a bottle of water with me too. I dont know why but i find if i keep sipping water it helps too.

Hope that helps:)

Love
:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Gregor
28-08-08, 01:42
Silly question, but do you need to take the train? Could you perhaps take a bus or coach? Maybe that'd be better if trains are a real problem.

Aside from that, as above, take some music and focus on that. Not sure what else to suggest as it's a while since i've been on a train myself or any journey for that matter.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Gregor

PhoebeE
28-08-08, 10:59
I travel by train all the time, traveling by car is much more frightening for me, except for the times when the train stops and lets people in. Sometimes I'm too afraid of the people sitting next to me.

Reading on the train, getting to the toilet before leaving home, eating something, traveling with someone, and indeed listening to music: it helps me.

Good luck, winkle!

Graz
28-08-08, 16:18
I've gotta take a bus and 2 trains in 30 mins, and I'm certainly not looking forward to it at all. Take a bottle of water and polo mints- I find the polos seem to refresh your mouth and tummy which often helps. Good luck :)

mabelina
28-08-08, 22:55
I cant travel either. It upsets me so much as i loved nothing better than to go for long drives with my boyfriend or family. My boyfriend lives an hour away from me and i can honestly count on one hand how many times ive been there in the year we've been together. I did start to venture out of my town a month ago, i was a passenger in a friends car and we were driving back to my house about 10pm. I felt quite relaxed when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a huge greyhound ran out from between parked cars and in front of us. We hit her, then she bounced and we ran straight over her. Her cries will haunt me forever. Greyhounds are my absolute favourite breed too and i regularely sponsor ex-racing ones. Well that was me back to where i started, and now im such a bad passenger to have and am constantly waiting for something bad to happen again.

winkle
29-08-08, 20:37
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll certainly give your suggestions a try

Mabelina, I'm not surprised you don't like travelling after what happened to you. I hope you manage to work through it somehow:hugs: