PDA

View Full Version : Please could someone talk to me?

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 02:01
Think (well, know) I'm having a panic attack at the moment, and wondered if someone could talk to me for a little while. I don't really know what to do, as my family is away on holiday. I was very bad last time they went away (a couple of years ago), but so hoped I'd be better, and I was at first. I'm pretty sure I have OCD too, and am really frightened of burgulars (not for any real reason). I was Ok, but I'd gone to bed, and heard a loud noise, which turned out to be just my cat playing with her toy mouse (I know, so cliche. Usually in a detective program the person would still get murdered after going 'Ah, just the cat/dog' though), which triggered this attack. I felt really sick, which is subsiding somewhat now I've thought of this forum, but don't know how I'll be tomorrow. Last time I was Ok for a day, then had a panic attack, and felt sick and weak the rest of the week. I thought it might have been a virus, but am not so sure.
Sorry, I know this is probably a bit heavy, but I can't think what to do, I can't think straight at all. Just talk to me about anything, if you prefer.

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 02:21
Anyone? I feel so awful. I could ring the Samaritans, I suppose, seeing as the no panic helpline will be closed at this time. I'll wait a minute, then I'll do that.

mothermac
28-08-08, 02:31
Hi don't worry you will be ok.It is only the thought that you are on your own that is fueling this attack,and films are just films it is NOT! going to happen to you.I was on my own last yr when my hubby went away on business and left me and my daughter who was 4 then,I was ok but stayed awake nearly all night listening and when you listen you hear things that are not there believe me.
Every house has noises in the night,it's just the brickwork etc adapting to the drop in temp outside etc things like that you are quite safe with doors locked etc.
Get your cat on your bed and sleep with her if it makes you feel better,pets can have a great calming effect on the soul.
If you really can't sleep or feel that the panicky thoughts won't leave you alone watch tv or put music on.
Hope this helps and tomorrow is just around the corner.

Mikke
28-08-08, 02:38
I always try to remember that anxiety comes (and goes) in waves. It's hard for a couple of minutes, then it's better for some minutes, and so it goes on for about an hour.
Your body is very functional and adaptive, and it doesn't like to stay on high alert for a very long time.

Your are completely safe! Burglary and murder is in reality not very common in our parts of the world, but reading newspapers and wathing tv make us believe it is :blush: The media make their money covering stuff that intrigues us (just like moviemakers) - but in reality the world is a pretty safe place to be, and people in general are much nicer than we think.

I have travelled a lot and been amazed about how nice people really are.
At one time I was on a business trip in Portugal, and fainted from anxiety in the streets (Im agoraphobic). This extremely nice portugueese people came to assist me, and even ran to the pharmacy for me for medictations to calm me down. I had a terrible anxiety attack on Heathrow some years ago, and was talked through the attack by this nice scottish businessman who hadn't even heard about panic disorder. In Malta I woke up some poor neighbours to our hotel, feeling I couldn't breathe and wanted them to call an ambulance as the hotel staff was not on duty at night. They didn't, cause they realized I had anxiety. They gave me cookies though, and let me sit in the garden with them until I felt better.
People are nice! They are not in general murderers and thieves. It's on tv they are...

PS. Do you have Animal Planet or some tv-channel like it? They have programs that always keeps me calm during anxious times..

Steffijade
28-08-08, 02:43
Hey Sweetie, i know how it feels believe me. Not sure about our time changes but its probably day there for you now. Do you see a doctor for your panic??? If not you should because let me tell you meds saved my life on more than one occasion. Without them the panic will get out of control. They let you lead a normal life and if an attack arises its usually much milder and you can talk yourself through them. I have just had 5 straight days of 24/7 anxiety and panic attacks. It's unusal for that to happen but believe me its hell. I just strated on some new meds yesterday and am feeling so much better already. Take care hun.:hugs:

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 02:51
Thank you all. I do have the cats on my bed, but unfortunately just end up worrying about them. I've got Radio 4 on now, good idea to put something comforting on. It says the shipping forecast is coming up. I look forward to it. It's 2:47 here now. I did ring the Samaritans. I forgot they didn't give advice, but it was so nice to hear someone's voice. The lady didn't know about panic attacks. In the end, she did say take it a day at a time, but I did that last time. Went through five days of hell like you did, Steffijade, so I really don't want to do that again. Don't feel so sick now at least. I should go to the doctor, I know, I wish I had before.

london
28-08-08, 03:13
why did you not go in the chat room to take your mind off it
wish you better

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 03:25
Thank you.
I would have used the chatroom, but you have to have been a member for a while to do that, and I only joined just now, when I was trying to think of something I could do that would be better than than waking my relatives, who don't live near enough to come round anyway.

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 03:38
I feel quite a bit better now, so think I'll see if I can go back to bed. Thank you all.

Louise123
28-08-08, 09:52
Hi there! I hope that you are feeling better this morning- what an awful night you seemed to have had. You must be feeling pretty tired too? My partner works away a couple of times a month for a few days. Whilst i don't feel any anxiety before he goes, or even in the evening (distractions of sorting my daughter out/feeding the dog/watching tv/getting ready for the morning etc) i have experienced massive panic and fear when it came to actually lying down and going to sleep. I'm not saying that i don't experience it any more, but just to a far lesser degree- this is because i started to almost "plan" for the anxiety to come on, and had a strategy...of sorts. So when i had done everything that i needed to do, i would switch everything off and repeat in my mind "of course its ok" and visualise being at home with my partner on any other night of the week, when i don't feel anxious about being by myself. I would go upstairs, allow myself to listen out, in the dark for 5 mins or so, explain what i had or hadn't heard to myself....repeated "of course its ok"...spoken out loud to myself that " i am fine and i am safe"...turned on the radio, read until i was sleepy, leave the light on until i was on the brink of relaxed sleep- switch it off and then more often than not, sleep the whole night through peacefully. There are of course times when i have woken up to an unusual noise/daughter waking/dog barking etc, and i have had to pretty much repeat the process, but it really helped me, knowing that it worked for me, that i was in control of the situation, and that i was "prepared" for it. I hope that you managed to get some rest- it can be so difficult to be able to switch off and properly relax- i hope that you have found some support today in some way. Good luck xxx

june
28-08-08, 10:38
I am afraid it makes me quite angry to hear that the person at the Samaritans did not know about panic attacks. Surely that should be part of their training????
I know they are there to prevent suicide BUt many people in panic THINK they are dying. ALL they need (usually) is a friendly "voice" to talk to them while the fear subsides.
The night time always seems worse you are so alone ( do not want to look or feel a fool or be embarrassed by calling family).
Just to know there is someone to listen and calm our fears - here at the forum we find the 'friend' that we need.
Someone who won't judge us or - make us feel more silly than we already feel etc etc
Best wishes
June

Ampharos64
28-08-08, 16:18
I was surprised she didn't know about them, too, I would have expected them to be taught about common problems.

I did decide to go to the doctors since I felt pretty washed out this morning (exactly as though I had Flu), and he prescribed diazepam, just to get me through the week. I hadn't really expected him to give me a drug like that, seems a little strong, maybe just a sleeping tablet or something, but then thinking back to how I was last night, maybe not. I took a teaspoon like he said, fell asleep, and now everything feels kind of misty and distant (which is actually an improvement).
Night time is definitely the worst, I can all too easily end up dreading it which of course only makes it worse. Sounds a good idea to be prepared like that, I'll give that a go.

I think I may well be Ok for the rest of the week, even if it is through a drug-induced haze.

Thanks for the support, all of you. ^_^

keepemlaughing
28-08-08, 16:25
Louise has given some pretty sound advice. I hope that you are feeling better today. Welcome.

daniel_ploss
26-01-09, 16:12
hello, dont be scared you will be okay i promise
if you need someone to talk to private massage me

be safe ,

your friend

Daniel Ploss