PDA

View Full Version : blushing

denise
29-05-03, 20:36
Hi I am a 30 year old female who has been suffering from panic attacks and blushing for the past 5 years. The panic attacks have decreased in severity but the blushing remains. Every time somebody speaks to me my face goes scarlet. I am starting to find it more and more difficult to function in life. I cant keep down a job as alot of people find it amusing and tease me. I have been to my GP who said there was nothing she could do as it is just the way I am. Is there anyone else who suffers from this blushing and has found some sort of therapy/medication that has worked.

Thanks for reading this Denise

Joanne
30-05-03, 11:38
Hi Denise,
yes, i suffer from blushing! And the worst thing is.....once someone has seen me go scarlet- I am more conscious of it happening the next time I see them! Then I worry that they think I'm weird- or if it's a bloke, I worry that they think I fancy them or something! (which I dont!) Then the cycle continues like that. Being aware of blushing makes me worse. I have found myself inventing reasons for doing it- like ' i'm so hot today' or ' I'm a bit ill with a cold/ fever'
Lately- I have told a few people that I blush cos I'm shy. That made me feel better. I also carry water around- so when I approach people I can keep busy- which tends to take my mental focus off blushing- by which time I have said hello and the focus is off me!
It doesn't happen every day, but usually when I am the focus in a group situation- or talking to alot of people at once. I get self conscious- and feel like I look/ sound an idiot! It's so stupid- cos I know I dont. I have never looked into it, tbh. I might have a search now.
sorry, I'm rambling- will get back to you. Joanne xxx

To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did: I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times.

Mark Twain

bruce
08-06-03, 01:02
Denise,

I have suffered from symptoms of panic for a while and my summary of success breaks down into cognitive behavioral therapy and klonopin/ clonezepam.

As for your blushing, i am assuming that perhaps you may also find it hard to talk to people about person things sometimes, or may be intimidated by people, feeling nervoud when making speeches or going fir a job interview or just getting to know someone. your thinking too much about a sorts of whacked out ****, especially what that person is thininking of you!

I also imagine that also it is sometimes hard for you to retain eye contact especially when the person is looking directly at you and speaking to you and when you are doing so. whereas i think that this is probably just your shyness reigning thru (your not alone) you may actually have a problem with anxiety, specifically social anxiety.

If this is the case, although your situation is different than mine, the remedy is exactly the same. social anxiety will likely never become something you are afraid of but it is discomforting as you really are an interesting person and why the hell do you have to blush in front of people, thats not the real you! i understand.

You can try my route, even if you arent diagnosed with a real anxiety disorder what i am advising you do wont hurt you in the least and perhaps will help you to relate with others more socially and you will gain practice at a faster pace.

If you have trouble formulating relationships, sexual and non, then this may be a tell tail sign of my accuracy on this. i am sure you dont have much problem keeping healthy relationships but perhaps have one hell of a time getting that spark started, i have sometimes suffered this too.

CBT works wonders, also a caring and reliable and trustworthy partner and friends will help, you need the kind of poeple who you dont feel nervous telling EVERYTHING to. when you have that you farther than most of us ever will be.

Social anxiety will not hurt you physically so there is nothing to fear but definitely work to allieviate this as to not hold back what you have to offer to the world. hope you can relate to my message, bruce

I am here as a result of my continuing efforts to lead an anxiety free life