PDA

View Full Version : Driving

ariadne
16-05-05, 00:15
Not to sound like a broken record, I know many of us may suffer from the driving phobia. I am doing what I can to overcome this thing. It has really destroyed my quality of life. I can't exactly go through life like this forever. I have been depending on my husband to drive me everywhere. Now my husband is away on business for about 10 days and I have to get my oldest son to the airport so he can go to his father's and he is departing from an airport that is 2and a half hours away. My husband will still be gone then and it will be up to me to make sure my son makes his flight. It is just too much pressure on me. I can barely get around in my own little area. I just do not know how I am supposed to do this. My husband is trying to see if someone in his masonic lodge will step up and drive both my son and I to the airport. I feel like such a loser though that I have to ask for help like this. I just really do not think I could make this trip alone though. I am on on maeds and everything but they do not help me overcome things like fear of driving overnight. It will definitely take some work and time for me to get my confidence back again. I am atleast making the effort though, but small steps are all I am able to take right now.

sal
16-05-05, 08:31
I can understand how hard this will be for you when you are just sorting out getting some confidence back and allowing yourself to talk.

I hope your husband can get someone to drive you and your son to the airport which will take a lot of the pressure of you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Piglet
16-05-05, 09:35
Hi Ariadne,

Don't feel bad about this, I know plenty of non anxiety sufferers who wouldn't be keen on doing a long drive like that either.

I think it might have been Meg who said somewhere in our efforts to get over anxiety we don't have to aim to be superhuman but try and differentiate between anxiety thinking and genuine dislikes - that's not quite how she said it but you get the drift.

Your confidence will come back in your driving but throwing you in at the deep end doesn't sound the nicest of ways to do it.

Love Piglet

Meg
16-05-05, 09:42
Ariadne,

There is a school of thought that believes in 'flooding' chucking you in at the deep end and the reality is that we all do survive the experience but it doesn't tend to last as an aid to recovery as the thoughts and feeling surrounding it are all just too negative and overwhelming.

So I'm sure you could do this trip but I think it is a lot to ask and if someone could accompany you the result would be more satisfactory.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
16-05-05, 10:46
hello Ariadne,

I have been in that position before and I had to make the drive alone. I did it but it was horrible and one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I was fine on the way home though because I had someone with me. If you could get someone to go with you, it would be a lot easier..

Sarah :D

florence
16-05-05, 18:01
Hi ariadne

I have the same problem, driving phobia that is. I understand your frustration, I am sure you want to overcome it but also can't find the inner strength in you. Thats what its like for me.
I am trying too to overcome it but like you said, its gonna take time, I am doing hypnosis at the moment hoping that it will bring some positive results.
I wish you all the best.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

nomorepanic
16-05-05, 21:30
Hi ariadne

Can I just ask what the issues are with driving? Mine are being stuck in traffic jams, road works etc - what are yours?

Nicola

sal
16-05-05, 22:28
Hi Adriadne

Like Nic mine is the fear of being trapped and not being able to carry on driving.

Have you got anything sorted to get your son to the airport whilst your husband is away.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

ariadne
17-05-05, 13:45
My fears of driving deal mostly with my symptoms. Driving makes me more aware of them. If I have to focus and there are cars around me or behind me, I feel even more like I am in a dangerous situation. I feel totally trapped and become fearful that I will pass out behind the steering wheel or get into an accident because my panic attacks cause me to have vision disturbances while driving. I think even the thought of the drive itself makes me anticipate that I will have difficulties which makes me too fearful to even try it because I know I am not confident enough to try it yet.

ariadne
17-05-05, 13:55
Concerning getting my son to the airport, I am still working on that and trying to get someone to to drive us there. If nobody is able to we will probably have to pay extra and get the flight changed to another day so my husband can take him when he gets back. That is the problem with this illness it can really become a burden on everyone else. My husband has already stated that he doesn't want to pay the extra money even though he knows he may have to if things do not work out the way we would like them to. The trouble is I can't help it. I wish I could but I really can't. I am just not ready for a trip this huge. I am just starting to ease back into driving again. today I am driving myself to the dr and that is 30minutes away. That is a big step for me. I am not sure how I will do. I just intend to get through it somehow. I am only ready for the babysteps at this point if you know what I mean.

EmmaJane
21-05-05, 22:35
Hi Ariadne,

How are you feeling now? Have you got the airport trip sorted.

Dont be to hard on yourself. You will get through this.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

ariadne
22-05-05, 17:53
Hi, Emma,

The trip turned out fine. A nice lady who was married to a friend of my husband drove me to the airport and everything worked out fine.
I am also happy to report that my dr increased my zoloft and is keeping me on klonopin and now I am starting to venture out more and now driving for me has become much more comfortable. I am feeling much better. I am starting to gain my confidence back behind the wheel now that my meds are starting to work for me. It is such a relief. I almost feel normal again. I am still taking babysteps and only driving distances that are comfortable for me but I am starting to venture further and further each time. So it is great news for me on the road to recovery. Although I could not do any of this without my medication.

seh1980
22-05-05, 18:51
Glad it went well!! :D

sal
22-05-05, 22:50
Pleased you found the support and she drove your son to the airport.

I hope he has a great time and it is good to hear that you are feeling a lot better.

Love Sal xx

Meg
22-05-05, 22:58
Excellent - keep practicing

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

eeyorelover
24-06-05, 04:46
I know what u mean. I am so tired of depending on someone to take me or the kids places. I drive in my little town only (which by the way I just started to drive again - it only took me about 10 years [Ugh].
But I decided a while back that I'm not going to feel guilty about it. So what if I can't drive that far! It doesn't make me a bad person or a bad mother cuz I can't drive. We all do our best with what we have and I'm not apologizing to anyone anymore. I'm going to take it one day at a time and work at it but I think part of the reason I have trouble driving is cuz I stress about it. The what if's and have to's. I think most of u know what I am talking about.
So don't feel like a "loser". U just do what u can and don't let this bring down your self esteem.
Sincerely,
eeyorelover