PDA

View Full Version : I am new to NMP. Coming off Sertraline.

joegg888
28-08-08, 14:03
Hi all. This is my very first message on NMP.
I have been on Sertraline for over 3 years and about 5 weeks ago my GP decided to change this to Mirtazapine. I was originally prescribed an SSRI for depression caused by a very stressful job.
Unfortunately I had a massive reaction to the Mirtazapine which left me practically asleep for 3 days, not knowing whether it was day or night and not caring anyway!!! :scared15:
I also have to take Warfarin tablets since I had a fall at work in April 2005 which led to a DVT and a PE (pulmonary embolism- a blood clot in a lung). I had another PE in July 2007. Anyway, due to being asleep for most of 3 days I missed some Warfarin tablets which led to low INR (my blood was too thick) and this unfortunately led to yet another PE on 31.7.08. :doh:
Having spoken to my GP I decided to go back on Sertraline, but to reduce the dose from 150mg to 100mg ( as I had already started to get withdrawal symptoms). My GP then prescribed Sertraline in suspension form so that I could slowly withdraw from it as we had decided that I should take a break from being on any SSRI's.
This did not go as planned, as everytime I tried to reduce by 10mg I ended up having terrible withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, headache, feeling very shaky,diarrhoea,irritable,crying etc. etc. etc.
I spoke to my GP yet again and we decided that I may as well stop Sertraline and go through the withdrawal, rather than take another 10 to 12 weeks to get off it, yet still suffering from withdrawal all of that time. Anyway, it has now been 20 days since I stopped Sertraline, and I feel absolutely awful due to the withdrawal symptoms. I have had such bad nausea and vomiting and a horrendous headache that I have had to spend the last 3 days in hospital as the A and E consultant thought I had suffered a brain haemorrhage !!!!!!!!!
Thankfully a scan was negative. When I asked the hospital doctors if they thought my symptoms were still due to Sertraline withdrawal they dismissed this, and yet I am sure that all these symptoms are classic withdrawal from any SSRI.
As Sertraline has a short half life this means it should be totally out of your body in about 10 days after stopping, I foolishly thought that all withdrawal symptoms would have gone in this time.
Is there anyone out there who has stopped this SSRI and gone through similar, and can give me an idea of how long it will take for these symptoms to go? I have now been off work for more than 4 weeks and as I am self employed I do not get paid. This is also killing my marriage, as my husband is bored of me being ill and so I have nobody to talk to.:weep:
There must be light at the end of the tunnel, but as I have only just entered this tunnel I cant see any light yet!!!
Even though I feel so bad I cannot go back onto Sertraline. I just want to sort out my blood clotting/Warfarin doses so that I dont get any more PE's.
I look forward to any replies as I am sure they will help.
I feel so alone. Take care everyone, Jo :)

Lindalou64
28-08-08, 15:12
Hello Joe And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

smurfette
28-08-08, 16:55
:welcome:Hi Joe

Panikki
28-08-08, 17:33
I can totally relate to what your going through had similar experience coming off SSRI and like you it was dismissed by medics! It was horrendous to go through and believe it or not i suffered for more than a year ..took months of gradual drop in meds and still suffered like hell ...some people have little or no probs going off and on meds others have a bad time the only thing i can relate my experience to is people that have been long time users of diazepam and try to come off them(sorry if spelt wrong) most of the symptoms were very similar..have been off meds now for 4yrs and still feel the trauma of that withdrawal haunts me...hope this may help you if only to let you know that it can be awful for some of us!

nomorepanic
28-08-08, 18:59
Hi Jo

Sounds like you have had it really bad with the withdrawal and I can only sympathise with that.

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some lovely people and get loads of support and advice along the way.

joegg888
28-08-08, 22:28
Thanks to all who have welcomed me to this site!!!!
to Tetley, Linda, Smurfette, J Baker and Nicola.
It means so much to know that I am not alone and that there are people who sympathise and care so much.
I am amazed how many replies I have had so far!!!!!:blush:
You are all wonderful and I thank you so much.
I hope that I am able to help others on this site too.
By the way, my name is Jo !!!!!!! I am female. I was always called Jo Egg by my twin sister so I have kept that name, I could do with putting a space between my Jo and egg as lots of people think I am a boy called Joe!!!!!!!!!
Never mind, I dont mind, I am so glad that so many of you care.
I wish I had found this site a long time ago.
Much love to you all,
Jo :) x
You can be in a crowded room and yet feel so alone.

pooh
28-08-08, 22:44
hi and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

milly jones
01-09-08, 22:08
A wonderfully warm NMP welcome to you

Milly xxxx :hugs: