PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Hello, I need some advice

Rob1977
29-08-08, 00:25
I’d like to start off by saying hello to everyone. This is an excellent site with a tremendous amount of accessible information along with members that provide admirable support for one another.

I am a 31 year old male. I have been physically active my entire life. I still presently lift weights, bike, run, and study kung fu. In my teens I started adopting a healthy lifestyle. After experimenting with alcohol in my teens I did not touch the stuff between the ages of 17 and 28. At 28 I started drinking wine and the occasional beer which does not add up to more than one or two drinks per week. I’ve never smoked and never taken any recreational drugs. I take my vitamins, watch the junk food (though I enjoy the occasional treat), and eat my fruits and vegetables.

It would be accurate to say that I have had social anxiety since I was a child. I don’t have issues meeting new people or being in crowds, but I hate being the centre of attention. I also find that I’m uncomfortable in groups of people more than 5 because I feel a different kind of mentality takes over. While I admit to this anxiety, I am reluctant to label it because it has not been overly debilitating. I may avoid going out to a party but I make the best of it while I am at one.

For the most part, I’m considered by most to be fairly laid back. I don’t sweat the small stuff, or for the most part, the big stuff either. I am married, have a loving wife, have a good career, and have a supportive family. Life is good and I enjoyed it…up until 5 weeks ago.

While at work I was dealing with a coworker who was questioning the integrity of my work, I had not eaten anything all day and I had just drank a latte. I started to feel a little tight in the chest, short of breath, and I could feel my heart beating. I took my pulse and it felt like beats were being missed.

I work just down the street from a hospital so I checked myself into the emergency room. The doctor took two ECG’s and told me she caught a couple of extra beats that were completely benign. I felt a little better when she told me this but this did not last for long.

For the past 5 weeks I have been experiencing anxiety over these beats. I notice them all the time and they seem to range from 20 to 150 each day. My family doctor looked at the ECG and told me they are PVC’s and are benign. Nonetheless, he is going to set me up for a twenty four heart trace. Blood pressure is normal, blood work came back fine.

I’ve read on here how much these PVC’s can cause anxiety. I also for the most part have convinced myself that they are benign. The problem is I can’t stop thinking about death. Sometimes I get into this mode where I think my death is imminent. Other times I think I will live to 100 but that those 70 years are going to disappear in a flash. Then I think about the incomprehensibleness of having an absence of self and it sends me into a wave of panic. When I get like this I feel completely disassociated from the rest of the world. Time seems to stop and the past, present, and future seem to be a single snapshot. I’ve never had any problems thinking about death before. I previously enjoyed pondering such heavy stuff.

I should mention that the first two weeks after going to the emergency room were the worst. 95 % of my waking hours during that time were in this state of worry about death. Two weeks after that I actually had a few days where I felt completely okay. Then I had days where I felt okay for most of the day but had episodes around midday or first thing in the morning.

Now I am at the state where I am okay for most of the day but I am still thinking about death. I took quite a few philosophy courses when I was in university and I feel it is the student in me not satisfied with the answer I am finding. I still have some anxiety usually around the midday and in the mornings, but nothing like it was a few weeks ago.

Here is my dilemma. I went to see my doctor and he prescribed 37.5 Mg of Effexor and 50 Mg of Clonazepam. He told me I should take the Effexor for six weeks and then he will look at doubling the dose. He is looking at having me on this for six months to a year. The Clonazepam is a two week supply to be taken at bedtime. He is also referring me to a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.

I have not taken the medication. Having a bachelor’s degree in psychology I know the great things that pharmaceuticals can do. However, I almost feel like it is overkill when I consider that the trigger for all of this was “benign” ectopic beats. But I also know that I have not been myself. I am more than willing to partake in some CBT.

For all of you out there that have much more experience in dealing with anxiety, I don’t know which direction I should take. Part of me feels like I have made progress and will get through this on my own. Another part of me feels like I should avoid the medication and take the CPT. Another part of me thinks the medication may give me an advantage.

I apologize for the long post and thank all of you that have read to this point, but I think I should add that the evenings for me are usually fine. From 7:00 p.m. until I go to sleep I feel great, like my old self. I also have no problems sleeping. When I wake up though, I feel like there is something that I’m forgetting…and then I think about health, death, and anxiety.

xBettyBoopx
29-08-08, 01:07
Hi Rob & welcome to nmp:welcome:

A lot of peoples anxieties start with these ectopic heartbeats, which are for the most part very very normal. Your preoccupation with death has stemmed from this anxiety. I think all people with health anxiety have a huge fear of death & it becomes a constant worry. I think the sooner you nip this in the bud so to speak, by getting CBT, the sooner you can get better.

As a sufferer for 33 years, I always urge people to get help straight away, I didn't for a long time, if I did maybe I would have recovered a long time ago, who knows.

If it helps any, I used to get these ectopic heartbeats long before I started to suffer with anxiety. You maybe will have to stop so much coffee, or cut it out all together. Tea, coffee, alcohol & ciggies are all stimulants. If I remember rightly, your first encounter with ectopics was after a coffee? Also you had not had anything to eat & were dealing with a problem co-worker. All stress factors that prolly 100% contributed a lot to what happened.

OMG I sound like an expert!! Please remember I am a fellow sufferer & am offering some advice & reassurance. If you remember that even healthy people get these 'funny' heartbeats & try & shrug it off, you will be ok. I know it's easy for me to say, I find when I get them that if I get up & walk around, I will burp, then they are gone. They are NOT at all harmful.

I hope that I have been of some help, I do try, lol.

Take care

Els
xxx

Quiet-Lift
29-08-08, 09:51
Hi Rob...:)

I've skipped through your post. Very impressive and intelligently written.

You seem to have so much going for you and I hope that these difficulties are only temporary.

Maybe the medication will help if you give it a chance (try not to expect instant results) and you're very lucky to be offered C.B.T.

Perhaps your present distress may provide a valuable learning experience. Such morbid thoughts that you describe are probably very common amongst many people. It's natural to ponder upon the great mystery of death when we are reminded of it in so many ways on a daily basis.:unsure:

This ability to be able to reflect upon the nature and eventual ending of our existence is what sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom, as I'm sure you know.

Trust in your family and keep on doing what you've been doing, which is admirable and can only help to shorten what must be a passing phase.

I hope that the opportunity to be able to write about such difficult matters through the facility of NMP can help in some way.

All the best and good luck:yesyes:

Louise123
29-08-08, 10:42
Hello and welcome Rob. In a similar vain to what you were posting about, i too previously enjoyed all aspects of "pondering the heavy stuff", did a Psychology degree, have and still worked in supporting people in a variety of ways, been on endless courses about behaviour and counselling etc- and too was very surprised when i began to fear death as if it would happen to me tomorrow. My "trigger" was that i had a baby and lost a dearly beloved family member within 3 weeks of each other. My labour had been particularly traumatic and the support from the hospital staff was appalling. I was then not in a position to visit my dying relative and once he had passed- i found i could not phathom out how life and death work- suddenly it was a complete mystery to me. This plagued me for months and months, and the symptoms of anxiety were in their full flow- though i was too enveloped in it all to be able to see it- on the outside i was doing brilliantly with a thriving baby and happy homelife- internally i was fearing even getting out of bed- knowing that i would be constantly ruminating over and over about dying and death. I would even hear a song that i liked, and before singing along- would think to myself "will someone remember to tell my daughter that i liked this music when i'm dead?" and then from that thought- would be pondering for hours about what it all means and why we are here- what's the point, if we're all going to die etc.
For the first time in my life, i even envied those who were religious- i could really see the benefit of having a powerful belief- even though i had always been so confident in what my belief system was, and how it all worked- i was suddenly struggling to answer my own questions and see a way out.
I take betablockers for my anxiety- which helps me 100%- it stops on the influx of adrenaline and i feel in a much better position to be able to control panic attacks and dread and fear. With those symptoms removed, i was able to start to focussing on what i needed to do to take myself forwards.
I see a counsellor once a week, to say out loud- my inner most thoughts and fears, and whilst there isn't the structured plan of outcomes that you might get with CBT therapy, this at present is enough for me- its a safe space to talk and not be judged/laughed at/made to feel like i have failed/am failing in any way.
I really hope that you are able to get the right kind of support that you need to see you through this.

Best Wishes xx

pooh
29-08-08, 10:59
Hi there and welcome to NMP

Your thread was very interesting to read and made me think of a few things that may be applicable: you hadnt eaten, you had a coffee and you had a conflict. (How are your conflict resolution skills?) You were in a situation that naturally would raise almost everybody's anxiety levels. You became aware of you heart. Skipped heartbeats are natural nothing to worry about, but it sounds like you unfortunately became aware of your own mortality at the same time. ( EVERYONE does at some point) So now you wake in the mornings with some thoughts that you don't particularly find pleasant that make you feel a little anxious. These anxieties have bothered you enough to do an net search and find this site. What you are doing possibly? Is getting into new patterns of behaviour that will feed your anxiety and it is this process that I feel you should be looking to address immediately. Have a little think. How do you feel about having your integrity questioned? How do you feel about your own mortality. Deal with these and I believe you may very well find yourself back to the person you are in the evenings.

Pooh x

Rob1977
29-08-08, 16:52
Thank you everyone for such quick and insightful replies.

Elspeth – I’m trying to teach myself to ignore the PVC’s. When I do happen to notice them I utter to myself a word like “harmless”, “benign”, or “normal” and I find this helps.

Tetley – All last night I had dreams that I was taking the medication, and when I woke up I was confused as to whether or not I actually had.

Allan – I find that when I look at the situation as a learning experience—as an examination of my own nature—the anxiety never seems quite as severe. And yes, being able to write about such matters on NMP has been cathartic.

Louise – Reading your reply felt like I was reading my own thoughts. I too have been plagued with morbid scenarios while in happy moments. I remember envisioning my now 5 year old nephew, with whom I am very close to, as a teenager, looking at a photo of me and asking everyone around him who the man was in the photo.

Pooh – After reading your reply I think you are correct in that I am beginning new patterns of behavior that are contributing to my anxiety. With respect to my own mortality, I don’t know if I necessarily have a fear of death, but I know that I really enjoy living, and I don’t want to give it up.

Again, thank you for all the support and excellent advice.

kellie
29-08-08, 21:14
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here. As you can see from the replies you have been given already you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.

nomorepanic
29-08-08, 21:43
Hi Rob

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

milly jones
01-09-08, 21:56
A wonderfully warm NMP welcome to you

Milly xxxx :hugs:

keepemlaughing
23-09-08, 16:09
My doctor is giving me .5 mg of clonazepam twice a day. You are taking 50??

Veronica H
23-09-08, 17:01
Hi Rob
:welcome: to NMP. Many of the symptoms you describe sound like typical anxiety/panic symptoms. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is avalable from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and has really helped to put me on to the road to recovery. Her recordings can be downloaded to your MP3 from NMP too. Glad that you have found us. You will find comfort and support here.
Veronica

Dazza
23-09-08, 18:36
Hi Rob,

Welcome to NMP!

I read your story with interest, as it is so similar to mine!

My problems started about 4 months ago, about 10 days before I was due to move to Vietnam to live with my partner. I was at home one day, and felt a tingling in my left hand, which then moved up and took over my whole left arm. then my heart started to pound, missing beats, felt like it was coming out of my chest, I could not breathe properly, I was getting rushes and dizziness...i though I was having a heart attack and so dialled 999. The ambulance crew took me to A&E; blood tests, etc were normal. The same happened the next day...back to A&E.

About 4 days after arriving in Vietnam, the same started...it snowballed, and I became obsessed with heart attacks, death...and was plagued by visions of my impending, painful and terrifying demise. I was in and out of hospital for the 3 months tht I was in Vietnam. I was flown back 3 weeks ago, in a total state.

I've been obsessed with death every day, as well as being obsessed specifically with heart attacks.

Thankfully I have had an echocardiogram, and 24 hour ECG and an ECG stress test within the past 48 hours, and all of the results seems to be normal. I will see the cardiologist for the final outcome on 10th Oct.

All of that to let you know that I know how you feel. It's like your life has been taken away from you by the mental torment of this obsession with death.

I too have refused any meds for my anxiety. i'm signing up for some CBT and also am going to get some combined CBT/hypnotherapy. I've heard wonders about the power of CBT to help people out of the anxiety trap.

Do let us know how you get on with it mate. Wishing you all the best!