PDA

View Full Version : panic attack self treatment?

ryedubs
30-08-08, 02:25
hi, new to this and was advised by to join from another c/room.

about 18months ago i was involved in an incident that led to my involvement in a lengthy court case that only ended in march, during this time i began to smoke cannabis heavily as a way of blocking it all out. almost 3 months ago i had my first serious attack when going to sleep one night. after smoking a little the next day, when i began to feel anxious i stopped their and then the following day after 3 years of wasting my life on the weed.

after a month and a half i began to feel much better and the anxiety had subsided, however, the last week i have felt the anxiety returning. although i have not had a serious attack like before (where i jumped up in my bed all flusted and feeling like i was going to have a heart attack and die), today i was walking with my mum back from the dentist and i could feel the blood rushing to my head and felt like a was going to pass out, she informed me my face turnt bright red for a couple of seconds.

i think that, well i know obviously, that it was my drug abuse that caused my current state, coupled with the stress of the court case (which was not serious i might add [i'm not a complete pot smoking yobo] and was a driving offence, but one that worried about greatly), plus as i touched upon i am trying to get treatment at the dentist for a very bad set of teeth, that cause quite a lot of confidence problems for me. i think it may have been this that i was thinking about that caused the mild attack as i have been worrying about this a lot lately as it seems i will never fully sort my teeth out unless i win the lottery, ha ha.

i was just wondering if anyone else here has attacks due to drug abuse and how they are dealing with it. although i know the court case is over, it has had many implecations on my life and i do still worry about it all. i dont think i will fully sort these problems out for a few years either. therefore as i cannot simply try to prevent the things that are causing me strees and i have to live with them, i dont really know how to stop my attacks on my own.

i have given up caffine for a couple of months, have not drunk alcohol for over 3 years, but i do smoke; would it be good idea to quit smoking or would the withdrawal symptoms increase my anxiety.

also, if there are any ex-pot heads out there, do you know if i will feel less anxious when it is fully out of my system, as i have read that it can take 3 months to completely go?
it seems just as i was starting to get my life back on track i have been dealt this hand to keep me back down, i can only laugh really :)

i hope nobody gets too bored reading all this, but this is my first post so i thought i'd say a little about my circumstances.

any advice would be really appriciated, cheers, rye

emma81
30-08-08, 11:35
Hiya

I was a heavy cannabis smoker for about 5 years, smoking it all day every day, in fact i dont even think i smoked a normal cigarette in that time. I suffered with depression then but i believed that the cannabis relaxed me and blocked out my moods so i didnt see it doing any harm even tho i knew i was smoking a very large amount of it.

Then 3 years ago i developed agoraphobia and experienced my first real panic attack and it terrified me. But still the cannabis relaxed me even during panic so again i thought there was no harm.

It was only when 18 months ago i went through a huge personal traumatic event that when i tried to have my 'joint' to relax me that i experienced a horrendous panic attack whilst stoned. I was roasting hot, continuously vomiting, crying my eyes out, my stomach was churning like crazy, my heart beating so hard and fast but more than anything my mind went terrifyingly crazy, almost like i was hallucinating. The whole night i lay awake terrified of what was happening to me and the next day i put it down to the trauma that i had recently gone through. However on that next day when i was about to have a smoke that same anxiety rose inside me and i couldnt bring myself to smoke it incase i went through the same terrifying panic attack i had the night before. Each day for weeks i sat there looking at my cannabis and just the sight of it made me panic. So i stopped and whereas when i had tried to stop whilst i was enjoying it, it had felt impossible, this time it was so easy. My body was telling me it didnt want anymore. It wasnt going to feel nice. That was 18 months ago and i have never touched it since.

Unfortunately for me i have since developed anxieties with alcohol and medication as well as something has got into my head now that any substance that can alter how i feel in any way will make me panic so i am not the best person to give any advice. My agoraphobia, panic attacks and depression are all quite bad just now. However i just wanted you to know that you are not alone and if u ever need to chat just send me a message.

Sorry for such a long reply!
Take care,
Emma

P.S. I think the things people say about 3 months or whatever timescale for it to leave ur system is a lot of rubbish to be honest, you get to a point probably after a few weeks or couple of months where u just dont think about it anymore and something in ur head tells u that u neither need it or want it anymore.