PDA

View Full Version : A Giant Frog Lives In My Wardrobe

purplehaze
30-08-08, 08:33
Hey
yeah catchy title :roflmao:

Over the last 5 weeks I have been putting myself through situations that I know will make me feel awful. The reason behind this was to see how bad my panic/agoraphobia would get. Oh you must be mad I hear you cry. Well I never ever claimed to be sane:winks:

So spent,

One week with no sleep
one week with drinking loads of coffee
one week without seeing anyone
one week recovering from the above
and one week doing none of the first 3 things

RESULTS

The panic attacks got worse and I was turning night into day. The first 2 days I went without any sleep at all and I was on edge all the time. I was a walking zombie. My eating habits went out the window and I lost interest in cleaning my house or even looking after my basic needs. Being on edge all the time I would not answer the phone or the door and when I went to the shops I felt out of my body (if that makes sense)

Coffee...Well not to much happened with this, maybe added to the non-sleep the week before, so was still suffering the effects of that but again more edgy than normal

Not seeing anyone..

This left me feeling so isolated and all I had was the pc...I went a whole 7 days without seeing anyone and I was feeling depressed and weepy.

Again I seen that the pattern....No sleep..coffee...isolation only makes me feel worse. So why even bother putting myself through it?

Well I have got so much better over the last few months and I wanted to see if it was the changes I had made in my life that had brought about this change and IT WAS THE CHANGES THAT HAVE MADE ME FEEL BETTER.

Conclusion;

Having a routine does improve ones mental health..
Proper sleep allows the body and mind to recover
Socializing is important to our mental health
Reducing stimulents reduces anxiety

Summary;

Set out a plan for the next 4 weeks and stick to it. Mine started like this

1/Out of bed 8am, even if I have nowhere to go..wash, breakfast and do a light house clean. Go to a local coffee house(this was a goal of mine as I suffered soooooooo bad from agoraphobia, you may have a different goal)..If you can go out then maybe pick up a few things from the shops each day.

2/Invite people round a few times a week just for a coffee/tea and a chat..Nothing to heavy, just for a natter

3/If you have a garden then get out and weed it...remember all we are trying to do is get routine into our life

4/ No tv pc etc an hour before bed....Un-wind before bed with a book

So for the first week your really just trying to get into doing things and no staying in bed even if you feel like poo

If you can get out then get out
If you cant then start to make steps to move forward but dont think oh there is no point as I have nowhere to go and nothing to do....Simple things like cleaning the house or (sorry about this) Ironing will motivate you....Its about changing habits

Plan your lunch or dinner

I repainted my lounge and it made me feel good
Change the furnisher around and give the house a new feel that way, honestly its amazing how something simple can change our moods:yesyes:

The whole thing is routine does help us

The person that posted this accepts no responsibility for your improved health and well being and in no way can be held responsibil for you smiling or better quailty of life...He does accept blank cheques, toffee cake, a 2 week holiday to somewhere hot and a life time membership to train spotters(dont look at the pen but see the inner person) monthly magazine

titchjd
30-08-08, 08:39
Heya ..Gr8 title ....made me smile so thanx ha

Oh I agree routine is sooo important ...I had a routine be4 agoraphobia decided 2 come live with me ..now i have a routine of doing nothing .

When I was at work and taking daughter 2 school and after school clubs I wasnt as bad .....I must get a routine back gonna do a plan 2 day .

good advice
Cheers

Malton Seadog
30-08-08, 08:49
I'll tell you something, the isolation one I can totally agree with.

I've got a week (Tuesday to Tuesday) at the moment where I'm home alone and it's playing total havoc with my mind.

Once my mum returns from holiday, I'll be fine I think.

Being alone is never good for anxiety. I'm walking into town now just so I can be around people.

georgecat
30-08-08, 09:32
Routine is Sooooo important and will help you get better. I would also have a list of things to do (nice things) so that when gloom and edginess descends I can think come on, onwards and upwards - you need to clear that drawer out this afternoon. Gardening is a great stress buster

purplehaze
30-08-08, 14:54
Hi

yeah I felt for myself that without positve routine we fall in to negitive routine I.E. We laze around, we dont get up, we stay up all night, we stop going out, we no longer socialize and then we wonder why we feel the way we do!!!!!

crimson
30-08-08, 16:06
Yes youre right. Every day i get up at 10, drink coffee do breakfast and write a small list of what needs to be done and what i want to do. It makes a huge difference to me. I try to get in the garden every day even if only for 15 mins. I also pick tv programmes instead of watching any old thing. I find it hard to turn telly off but i do it. Won't put it on till 2pm either. I even make time for blowing bubbles and watch my pets chase them.Makes me larf