PDA

View Full Version : Accepted at college big step.

Pauluk
30-08-08, 11:49
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to put this topic, anyway, after attending an interview earlier on in the year without much expectation i received a letter yesterday sayng i had been accepted, enrollment is next week. I can't decide wether or not go its three full days if i recall, i've been agoraphobic and suffered from anxiety for about 8-9 years but i know i can't sit at home forever. Not sure what is more frightening facing my fears now knowing i might fail, or waking up in ten years time being in the same situation which would be bogus. Part of me says what the hell just go for it and the other thinks about mixing with all those strangers in an unfamiliar place.

lorac
30-08-08, 11:57
Hi

I think you should go and give it a try otherwise you will never know if you can do it or not. Well done for getting into the course you made the first steps with going forward with your life so why not have a try. If you don't think it is the right thing you can always leave but you will never know unless you give it a try. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Carol

pooh
30-08-08, 12:03
Try it what do you have to lose. college can be a really good way to build your self esteem too and learning is ,at least for me, always fun. I do believe that too often we neglect the intellectual needs of our brains and for entertainment and amusement the brain starts to get very emotional about things.
Let me know how you get on

Pooh x

Tom_M
30-08-08, 13:25
Hi Pauluk

Just see it as a big adventure and keep focusing on the positive side of it and block any negative thoughts you might have.

Tom

ladybird64
30-08-08, 22:41
Hi Paul

I just finished a course in July and would advise you to go for it.
I originally signed up for a 10 week course, one night a week..that was in 2005!! I enjoyed it so much and I agree with Pooh, to stimulate your brain is one of the best favours you can do for yourself.
I also had the "Don't wanna be in a room full of strangers" thought but I overlooked the important fact..that we are all there for the same reason!
I also have anxiety and agoraphobia but I ended up feeling so at ease at the college it became one of my "safe places".
If you need any support please feel free to PM me.
PS. Go and enrol, if you don't like the course you can always drop out..but at least give yourself a chance. :)

freakedout
31-08-08, 02:26
Hi Paul,

I can understand why you feel apprehensive, I am a fellow agoraphobe, and panicker! I too think you should give it a go, it may be the making of you and help to turn your life around. I hope so.

I think it helps to read ladybirds reply, that is very inspiring. I wish you all the best of luck with it.

Take care,

Freaky

Quiet-Lift
31-08-08, 04:43
Hi Pauluk...:)

I envy you. Give it a chance. What have you got to lose? I can think of nothing finer than to be a student and it will give you an incentive to get out.:shades:

I did a 13-week website design course earlier in the year. Although there were a lot of things I didn't like about it, I managed to stick with it to the end and have, at the very least, become more familiar with a few features of the Dreamweaver program.:yahoo:

I only regret, due to a return of my depression, that I haven't made any effort to line myself up with something for the autumn.:weep:

You answered your own question admirably. Unfortunately you can sit at home forever, BUT WOULD YOU REALLY WANT TO? It would be a bit of a waste.:lac:

Even if you screwed this up ( which I hope you don't and don't believe you will ) , you can always try again.

Good luck and best wishes...

orangeblossom
01-09-08, 20:38
Hi Paul,

I think that is the best thing you could do for yourself - College is great fun and your mind always needs a challenge... it also needs something else to concentrate on instead of the panic, so you are doing yourself a big favour!

It will be a great way not only to meet some new friends, but also broaden your horizons AND begin to really give your anxiety a good old shove out of the way of the rest of your life.

We all know how, ahem, 'challenging'(!) it can be BUT you have already taken the biggest step by going to the interview and posting your message on this site!

If you ever need any help/advice do not hesitate to get in touch with anything re: college / help that might be available etc. I'm currently doing my PhD so have run the whole gamut as it were... I've also been a Students' with Disabilities Officer for the university Union so I know what sort of help is available - whether at university or at college.

You'd be surprised at how many people are so very happy to help in any way they can - whether on this site or at college.

:-)

orangeblossom
01-09-08, 20:39
Hey Allan - well done to you for doing that course! And... there is always the Spring term to do something else and to look forward to! :-)

Quiet-Lift
02-09-08, 23:11
Thanks Orange Blossom...:)

I hope I'll hear about the Certificate we all struggled for soon. I might try and do something by way of Adult Education classes this Autumn.

Cheers

Pauluk
03-09-08, 18:23
Hi guys,

First off thanks for all the replies i appreciate it. Well i have managed to go for the last two days and i had a full day today. Athough it was a HUGE achievement for me and i can take many positives from it, i really don't think the course is for me ' i chose a catering course btw '. I found the course to be to much in my face with allot of group task/bonding stuff and apart from one other person in the class they were all like 17. To be honnest most the college were either kids or asylum seekers and i felt totally out of place.

I've just posted my OU forms off today and i will continue to do computer course's with them and maybe try and find a night school class somewhere as well.

Cheers.

milly jones
03-09-08, 18:27
but well done for facing ur fears and going

what an achievement

hugs

milly xxx

lorac
03-09-08, 19:10
Hi

Well the course may not be right for you but you went and found out so a big well done for that.

Carol

ladybird64
03-09-08, 22:41
Hi Paul

You know I had a feeling that you were determined to get into the college, you didn't let the agoraphobia beat you, congratulations! :yahoo:
It doesn't matter that it's not the course for you, you have made that initial step and I know just how hard it is to do that. I think you're right, a night class may be a better option so if you do decide to try something else keep us posted. :)

Quiet-Lift
04-09-08, 00:53
Well done for going. Marvellous.:yesyes:

Sorry it wasn't up to your expectations but at least you have some alternatives (OU) and
there are always evening classes

Best wishes

Pauluk
17-09-08, 13:15
Hi guys,

Thought you might like to know i got my results today from my first OU course,to my amazement i passed with a grade A 87%. Well chuft as i know i didn't put my all into it as i had a bit of a dodgy spell half way through the course. My next one starts soon and its given me a huge lift as i never finished school and wasn't sure what to expect. Maybe, i'm not that dense after all :D .

nickieb
17-09-08, 14:51
YAY Well done Paulos

Nicola is very proud of you, did i ever tell you nerds are cool!!
We will celebrate together in Dubbers xxx

Anxious_gal
17-09-08, 17:21
aw congradutlations x

orangeblossom
20-09-08, 19:50
That is absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!

Wow - that must have given you a spectacular confidence boost!

Quiet-Lift
21-09-08, 00:39
No. you're not dense Sunshine...:)

A big WELL DONE from me. I am so green with envy. I was a mediocre student. Didn't even get one O' Level ( Got a few HO HO levels though ).:D

Jolly Good Show Old Boy. Jolly Good.:shades:

No seriously...great stuff Paul. Keep it up.:yesyes:

orangeblossom
21-09-08, 00:44
Hahahaha! 'ho ho levels'!!