PDA

View Full Version : Floor "Swaying" Help

leon_telford
31-08-08, 13:35
Only part of the "Panic attacks" left since I sorted what causes the attacks.

Happens when in a shop for example, any advice to get rid of it feeling like I'm on a ship!

Cheers!

Leon

gtrgrl3369
31-08-08, 14:50
I read up on this because this is also the only thing I have left to deal with. The books say that this is the longest symptom to go away. Usually the scariest to. I agree there. They say not to panic when it happens...DUH. How can you not, but anyway to also make fun at it. When my comes on, I tell myself that I have been drunker than this and havent fallen over. I know it sounds dumb but it makes me laugh and then it goes. Try to make a joke of it. If we dont let it scare us it will go. Sounds like a really bad horror flick.

june
31-08-08, 15:32
Hi leon_telford,
I copied this from the "symptoms" list on the left of the screen.
It comes under heading Hyperventilation.
Well worth reading

""""This is sometimes accompanied by a feeling that you might faint or pass out. It also may feel as though you are walking on a boat, or that the floor seems to move up and down and it's hard to balance. You may also have difficulty placing your feet because your perception of the ground or floor may be wrong. In some cases it may seem that even though you are standing on a firm floor, the floor may be vibrating or moving.""""":ohmy:
Hope this helps
June

Chant
31-08-08, 15:32
I get this too. Makes me run to the car or somewhere. Feel like I'm gonna fall. I also heard we our suppose to laugh at it. It's the hardest part of panic attacks to get rid of for me.

june
31-08-08, 16:03
chant can i suggest that you also read """symptoms"" on the left of this page == the heading is """hyperventilation""""
I am the worst in the world for this I KNOW that my breathing pattern is wrong and i get sooooo out of breath.
BUT as i have said before i find it very difficult to relax and deep breathe.
I once went up an escalator in a shop and at the top the whole shop seemed to be under water - everything in front of me was swaying and moving - like seaweed in water.
Oh boy did i feel sick. The 'down' escalator was right beside me and I followed a lady - staring into the middle of her back, luckily no one noticed and she (followed by me) went out of the shop.
Once in the fresh air i was ok. A truly terrifying feeling.
June

Chant
01-09-08, 11:27
Hi June,
Thanks for the info! How many times have I said to myself "Yeah but I do breath correctly." Not! I breath very shallow sometimes which also brings on swaying. I have had dentist tell me to breath when I'm on the dentist chair. It's like automatic. When I go to pick something up I stop breathing. I know it sounds dumb but I've notice that I do that.
Today just the tought of going shopping trigger a small panic attack. This swaying thing happens also when I have to cross the street. Always afraid I'm gonna fall. This is indeed the hardest symtom for me to get rid of.
And if I'm in a store and I'm waiting at the cash register and I get that swaying feeling my legs start to shake cause I'm so scared of falling that my fear pumps in that aderlin from tensing up my legs. I wish I could be normal again!

gtrgrl3369
01-09-08, 14:23
You are normal and think of it this way, do you know how many people pay to have the feelings we get everyday for free? Ok bad joke, but you are normal and I know this is scary to you. I get it on a daily basis usually only once a day now. I am getting better at controlling it. You will too, just remember to breathe. I have faith in you.

orangeblossom
01-09-08, 20:54
Hi - something that might be of use is what a therapist told me years ago, if you feel as if you are swaying and that the floor might give way, stamp on it! It reassures you and your body that you are standing on a firm surface and that you are not swaying.

Actually.. it really works!

Chant
02-09-08, 10:04
Hi there!
I don't think that was a bad joke! My husband tells me that all the time. I don't think he'd like to feel like he was on a merry go round when he wasn't! I'm just trying not to resist or fight the feelings. (Very hard)!! But it takes practice and being possitive! Thanks all f you!!

smile
02-09-08, 10:44
I actually came on to say i get this too,and so glad I did because finally I am not the only one.And i know it's no joking matter,but I actually laughed at the comments made,which i want to thank you all for.Yes how mad is it to say 'when you feel like this-it's best not to panic' i mean come on,it's the first thing we blooming do !!!!(wanted to swear but know I can't).I mean who actually researches this stuff? Oh and yes we also have to breathe properly.Ok so in a shop feeling like going to keel over,panicking,trying to breath right..talk about multi-tasking !!!! I wish us all well ,especially to you 'Chant' as it was your thread to begin with.But does it ever go away?I mean is it possible to panic and relax /be calm at same time??? cos i have it most of the day and really scares me . take care all x

Chant
02-09-08, 11:43
From what I heard if we don't fear it and just accept it (ha ha) it will take away the anxiety at the same time wish cause that syptom. Yeah that funny. Don't panic, breath right, try to distract yourself, no don't try to distract yourself etc etc!
I have been sober for 15 years with the help of AA. When I use to get drunk and have that swaying feeling I did't care. But being sober...well it's sort of spooky!
But please, I want you all to know that booze is not the answer. I'm happy I haven't had a drop in 15 years! Got panic attacks but that is OK. I will get rid of them! And so will all of you!

june
02-09-08, 13:55
smile,
I too get mad when told "you must not panic" yeah!! and the next daft statement? That is the whole point I am panicking and I want to know how to stop. I /we do not have a choice - to panic or not to panic Hmmmmm? Obviously if we had that choice WE WOULD NOT PANIC.
Do non-panickers think we do it for fun??????Grrrrrrr.
Deep breathe slow calm breaths ---- any one who panics will know -you are feeling lucky to be breathing at all, you feel so bad.
Sorry bit of a rant.
June

Elaine19825
02-09-08, 17:41
Hi guys,

Can i just check i'm getting a similar thing. Basically i've been feeling quite dizzy/ off balance/ bit of wierd vision - but i get this first - then i start panicing. I'm so sure i not over breathing cos am fine to start with but as soon as i start feeling like the world is moving i really lose the plot. Is this the same as you? Any advice much appreciated cos this is really bringing me down now - plus am finding its all i think about :(

E x

Chant
03-09-08, 00:21
HI Elaine,
I can't talk for everybody else but thats what starts my panic attacks. That then lead to that feeling like your there but not there. But I notice keeping that in my mind all the time is what makes it come on. I sometimes strain my leg muscles from forcing myself into not falling. But ya don't fall. It's just part of the fear. It will go away!

leon_telford
03-09-08, 09:06
Every other symptom of the attacks I can take, just this one I hate!

So wish there was a drug to make it all go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I get swaying without having a panic attack, that normal? I hear having a hole in the ear drum may cause it????

june
03-09-08, 14:04
Leon,
worth asking your doc about your ear because if there is any infection - you really will have giddy turns.
I have a whole in my eardrum and one doc asked me to close my eyes and march on the spot. Apparently IF your ear is bad your body will turn slightly in that direction.
Anything to do with your ears does affect balance.
hope this helps
june

helenclaire
03-09-08, 15:25
Hi

I was wondering if anyone felt nauseas with this, i get it from time to time and it makes me feel sick, my heart also pounds for a couple of minutes after and i get jelly legs and feel cold.

It is a scary feeling and i always feel shaky after.

Helen

Cheekyone
03-09-08, 18:11
Hiya,

the best way I've found to get rid of this sensation is to force my body to relax, if you can make the muscles relax then the sensation goes away. apparently it is caused by tension in the face and neck muscles, so if you actively relax your shoulder muscles it seems to relax those muscles too. They say you should let your shoulders drop and slump. Not sure if it works for everyone, but an easy thing to try

Ros

russell
03-09-08, 20:53
i get this too when out walking on my own in certain places. i try and distract myself by counting backwards in threes. it does help honest!

Chant
04-09-08, 12:18
Hiya,

the best way I've found to get rid of this sensation is to force my body to relax, if you can make the muscles relax then the sensation goes away. apparently it is caused by tension in the face and neck muscles, so if you actively relax your shoulder muscles it seems to relax those muscles too. They say you should let your shoulders drop and slump. Not sure if it works for everyone, but an easy thing to try

Ros
I just want to thank all of you for these great suggestoins! And it easier to accept when we know we are not alone!

One day at a time!

Chant
04-09-08, 12:20
I just want to thank all of you for these great suggestoins! And it easier to accept when we know we are not alone!
I went food shopping this morning. Who would of thought. Not I!
One day at a time!