PDA

View Full Version : Rapid pulse

nikkixx
31-08-08, 20:00
Hiya everyone - its me again!!

Just wondered what everyone elses pulse rate is normally? Mine ranges from 68-82bpm normally but when I stand up it gets much faster. Is this normal?

I'm driving myself and my family mad constantly checking my pulse.

Nikki x

Horse
31-08-08, 20:13
Nikki.
Sounds pretty good to me.
It's lower than mine when resting. Yes it will speed up when you move, I think it even speeds up when we breath in and then slowes again when we breath out, or vice versa.
The time to worry is when you cant feel it and it stops (joke).

You will find that it will be faster even if you're resting but feeling anxious. The more you worry about it, the faster it can get. Calm yourself down and it will slow down.

Kevin.

Casey
01-09-08, 22:28
Hi Nikki,

I feel your pain. I'm exactly the same at the moment. This morning I came in from walking the dogs and decided to take my pulse (as I do far too many times a day), it seemed far too rapid for just as easy walk. Which of course makes me panicked and then it doesn't slow down for ages.
Casey

MyNameIsntRich
01-09-08, 22:29
Nikki thats a perfect pulse, lol i wish mine was that good.

nikkixx
02-09-08, 22:33
Thanks for your replies.

I think I have some kind of confusion with my pulse and blood pressure. If my pulse is fast I assume my blood pressure is sky high.

Nikki x

Neilr1978
03-09-08, 01:15
god this thread was made for me.I check my pulse loads im not kidding some times ive when i standing up and you feel a head ive felt my pulse and it slows for a few seconds the speeds up again other times i try to feel my pulse and when i cant i race up the stairs in a blind panic to get my heart rate going so i can feel it at the top of the stairs.And to top it all of im taking my wifes pulse to compare it with my own.Ive even strted to take my pulse when im out shopping and stuff:weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep:

LeeBee
03-09-08, 03:40
I'm a pulse-checker too, though I have improved a lot and am much calmer about the state of my heart these days. It's a good idea not to symptom-check too often if you can help it as it only fuels your anxiety - even if you feel it and its fine, that makes you feel relieved and the feeling of relief encourages you to do it even more.

Anxiety will encourage your heart do all sorts of little tricks like speed up suddenly, miss beats (ectopics) and flutter. Your heart isn't a metronome that just beats at a 100% steady rythm 24/7 - a healthy heart doesn't do that. People who don't have anxiety are usually not aware of all the ectopics, speed-ups and slow-downs that go on all the time. Anxietiacs (not a word, I know) are just more aware of it than most.

It's normal for your heartbeat to speed up and slow down a little as you breath in and out. It's called sinus arrythmia and it's a totally normal part of your heart function - it's probably more abnomal not to get it:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9745