PDA

View Full Version : Inderal/propanolol - side effects?

sarap
28-11-03, 17:36
Anyone have big side effects from beta blockers? Propanolol/Inderal especially? Dunno if this is really silly but I'm getting anxious about taking the tablets that are supposed to help me!

Anyone help or reassure??

Sara x

Meg
28-11-03, 18:10
No big side effects apart from asthmatics who should not have them.

They are mainly used as Bryan mentioned in an earlier post of yours to reduce blood pressure so it's likely to do that too but you may be on a reduced dose for the anxiety.

Put betablockers into the search facility- there's lots of mentions.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarap
28-11-03, 18:22
Thank you Meg.

Sara xx

nomorepanic
28-11-03, 20:12
I took atenolol once (a beta-blocker) and was in hospital the next day with breathing problems cos I get asthma. The doctor obviously never checked my notes!!

Nicola

twister
29-11-03, 22:18
only side effect I had was feeling slightly nauseous but it only lasted 1/2 hour

Emily

swiftler
16-12-03, 21:02
i too was anxious about taking mine...last night i plucked up the courage. I took my third tablet 30mins ago. Its wierd but im waiting for the side effects to kick in but they arnt yet. i hope this is still the case in the next 30mins. Twister...the reason for my attacks is because i fear being sick...i really didnt need to read that last comment...haha

twister
16-12-03, 21:11
oh sorry Swiftler, I feel really bad now. [:0]

It went really quickly and I think was probably just nerves more than anything.

Emily

tina2004
16-12-03, 21:20
i was on propanolol for minths with no side effects 10mg 3x a day,,thats the only ones im not scared to take ,,im absaloutly terified to start my ciprimil ,,but i know i need to but cant ,,ive sat and cried all day cause i feel so scared ,im gonny ask to try propanolol again,i came off them to take atenolol for high bp but after 6 weeks they put my bp too low.so now im taking nothing and suffering,

stephen
16-12-03, 22:10
ive only been on propanolol for 4 weeks but ive found them the biggest help so far and no side affects as far as i can tell! tc steve

twister
16-12-03, 22:20
When i have started my anti-deps my doctor has given me a week or twos supply of Valium which has really helped

Emily

Lottie32
17-12-03, 09:53
I have got a prescription for 40mg Propranol, and I've never had a problem when I've taken them. They seem to leave me totally side-effect free.

The only "symptom" I've had is one of moving in slow motion, as though my body is being supported. It was accompanied by a nice feeling of being "chilled". It didn't stop me functioning - the last time I was taking it and felt like this I still managed to act as a groom at a large county show, and travel half way across the country to get there!

Charlie

RobertFlyde
17-12-03, 16:43
i suffered nausea, sickness, constipation etc before starting any drugs and was quite supprised i didnt suffer from any side affects when i started taking propranolol. Although my doctor said that it may stop my sex drive etc, to which i raised an eybrow to, but everyting was fine in that department and no problems at all!!!

ive had no problems with propranolol at all. ive just stopped taking them (40mg once a day). I stopped taking them through disscussions with my doctor. Ive still got my prescription and some pills left, but i can use them if i feel anxious or whether i feel the need to take them etc. it was only a small dosage, my doctor compared 10mg of propranolol to taking a 10mg pill before an exam to calm your anxiety's etc.

Im now drug free and have been for 7 days, no anxiety or PA's and ive done all what i usually do, went to wigan to watch football, xmas shopping, driving, down the pub on saturday night (i got home rather late and was quite drunk- I felt the need to celebrate being drug free, although bradford did lose) i have not been that drunk for a long long time!!!!!

Take Care

Robert Flyde

Lottie32
17-12-03, 16:48
well done Robert

Yet another success story to add to the good week most of us seem to have had.

Bit worrying though - if we carry on like this, there will be no more forum. We'll have to start a new one for cured sufferers.

Congratulations (could be worse though - you could support Leeds!)

Charlie

RobertFlyde
17-12-03, 17:09
aye, most of my friends support Leeds, so there is lots of friendly banter beetween us!!!!!!!

on a more serious note, i think people need to read about what other peoples PA's anxiety etc and see how they managed cope etc and without places like this forum to post messages people would struggle. From this forum people can take alot from what other people are going through and realise that they are no the only ones suffering. This site helped me alot and im sure it is helping others too........

Take Care

Robert Flyde

nomorepanic
17-12-03, 20:33
Hi Robert

Great news and I do hope you continue to come back and not leave us when you are cured - lol

Perhaps the site will live up to its name "No More Panic"

BTW - it took me hours to think of the site name and get one that was not already taken. www.nomorepanic.com was already taken.
I had all sorts - "no panic" (a well known charity), "free from panic", "panic no more", "panic gone" etc etc

Nicola

lisa smith
26-04-07, 18:58
I Have Been On These For Nearly 2 Weeks, A Bit Nausea When Taking Them Though. After A Week Of Taking Them, My Anxiety Felt A Bit Worse For Wear, Buti Hope It Settles Down Soon..lisa

vicks
21-08-09, 18:21
i have been taking citalapram fro 5weeks and i feel worse if anything please someone tell me it will get better i am on 20mg per day thanks

pollyanna
21-08-09, 19:07
Took me a year to pluck up the courage to take these, i was terrified of what they would do to me, was having terrible paplatations so eventually took them. ...best thing i ever done, would hate to be with out them now. The only side effect i had with them was a little bit of tiredness in the begining.

P x