PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

EmmaJane
17-05-05, 12:26
Hi all,

I had a root canal done on a tooth years ago. My new dentist has now suggested I have it crowned. I have cancelled 3 appointments as I panic, whenever the time gets near. I think im worried about the pain or having a panic attack. Im not really sure. ( I just feel something bad is going to happen ) He has said, I wont need an injection as the nerve is dead, because of the root canal.

Im due to go this Friday (GULP) and was going to get my husband to cancel AGAIN!!! today, as I don't have the bottle to cancel.

Ive decided, Im going to go through with it this time, I feel very tired and not very sociable. Definately anxious over this coming visit.

Question is, do I take a Diazapam, before I go to steady my nerves and has anyone had a crown done before?

PHEW, I feel better, just being able to write all these things down somewhere and to know that people understand.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

mjh74
17-05-05, 12:31
Hi Emma,

I'm exactly the same with regards to the dentist. I even cancelled my last checkup. I always take valium before I go and it usually helps. That was before going through what I'm going through now, it's going to be even tougher when I have to go for a checkup in October but I'm not even thinking about that yet!

Hope this helps!

Mark x

mumof4
17-05-05, 12:54
im the same with the dentist i wont go i have a hole in one tooth which gives me toothache and i also need a filing i did go a while bk when i took a infection in my tooth and he told me to come bk and get it taken out but i wont.

EmmaJane
17-05-05, 13:06
Yeah I think ill take one before I go. ( if I dont back out ). Thats very positive Mark, not thinking about it till October. If that was me, I would of already told myself what was going to happen, when I was due to go.[Sigh...]

Emma xx

vernon
17-05-05, 14:37
Doctor gave me vallium to take when i visit the dentist the dentist has also told me it was ok to take them, but even with vallium (they do relax you) but I still cant go lol the fear is so great, and I have also had toothach on and off for over 12 months.

Piglet
17-05-05, 14:46
Hi Emma-Jane,

I don't know what having a crown is like but I had to have 3 fillings done at Xmas and had been stressing over it for weeks (I never liked the dentist even when I was a kid).

My friend and the kids came with me and I was in and out of the toilet all the time I was waiting (don't like waiting either) but even while I was waiting it was no worse than how I'd been feeling worrying over it at home.

When I finally got in I felt so scared that I decided to say to my dentist how horrible I was feeling and that I don't really like all the tools in my mouth. My dentist who I've known for 17 years is lovely and he said to me 'right, here's what we do - you raise your hand at any time and I stop what I'm doing and we'll only go on when you're ready, how's that?

Like you I didn't know whether I was frightened of the pain or of having a panic attack - I didn't go into loads of detail with him, just how I was feeling that moment and I'm so glad I did.

I knew when I walked out afterwards that I must try and remember that not at any point did I feel worse than I had beforehand and use that for future situations.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sal
17-05-05, 15:52
Hi Emma

You managed to have the root filling and although nervous i am sure you will be fine and once you have got through getting the crown on you can relax a bit.

I know how hard it is worrying that you will have a panic attack but try all ways to distract yourself and remember if you did have one the dentist would understand and you are not trapped.

Good luck.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

seh1980
17-05-05, 16:46
hi Emma,

I hate the dentist as well. From experience, I would say that the sooner you get it done, the better!! The longer you leave it, the more panicky you will feel about it..

Sarah :D

sueiamnew
17-05-05, 17:42
Hi Emma,

Yes to both, taking a diazepam before you go will help relax you, but also having a crown (especially where you have no nerve) will not hurt in the least.

Easy to say, i know. I have had two crowns and was petrified - my legs wouldn't stop jumping but i explained beforehand that i had panics and the dentist was very very good and understood. Also, i didnt feel a thing and afterwards couldnt stop smiling!!

Think how much better you will feel once it has been done.

Let us know how you get on.

Sue

cannuk
17-05-05, 18:02
Ohh man do I hate me the dentist. I didnt even go to the dentist from the time I was 18 till I was 25. (I guess the reason is that when I turned 18 I was no longer under the control of my Mother but now that I am 25 I am under the control of my fiance, she is the one that finally got me to go) When I finally did go and found out that I had 7 cavities (I never had any growing up) I was terrified. I remember going back for the actual appt to take care of the cavities and the dentist asking if I wanted to do all 7. I of course said no, and took the smaller number to fix (I had 3 on top and 4 on bottom). Anyways after it was all over, including the big needle and all the drilling, I felt fine. I felt like "that was it?". I guess that was my point in this whole ridiculous rant. At the end of the day, how many news stories have you read of someone dying at the dentist's office? We arent crazy, we are normal people. Sometimes we just focus on the details a little to heavily and I think if we can all remember to look at the whole picture and breathe we can get through any situation. So EmmaJane when you are sitting there in the chair just remember that no one has ever died in a dentist chair (well maybe they have, but I doubt it was from the actual dental work being done). Will it hurt? possibly. But it isnt anything that is going to be permanent. I hope you will read this and laugh. I also hope that you will remember this when you are in the dentist chair and you will laugh again. And then you will make the dentist wonder why you are laughing. And then he will think something ridiculous like he has something hanging out of his nose.

sal
17-05-05, 22:19
Hi Emma

You have had some great replies. Hope you are okay hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

nomorepanic
17-05-05, 22:22
Emma

I had a root canal and the crown done at the same time. The root canal work hurt like hell but the crown was fine.

I am sure you will be ok but take a diazepam to calm you ok.

Good luck

Nicola

EmmaJane
17-05-05, 22:32
Again thank you all for replying. Ive definately decided im going to go this time and get it over with. If I go through with this, it will be a big achievement for me. Still, we will see what happens, lets hope Friday comes and goes very quickly:D

Emma xx

sal
17-05-05, 23:04
Emma

Stick to what you are saying and best of luck and we are all here for you.

Love Sal xx

henri
17-05-05, 23:24
ooh, good luck! judging from people's past experiences, sounds like it will be pretty painless. but i know how you feel, i'd be freaking out too!
i'm sure it'll all be fine, let us know how you get on,
henri x

EmmaJane
19-05-05, 10:35
Well tomorrows the day and I have a pounding head and neck ache today. I feel so tired. Im so close to cancelling my appointment. Each time I go to pick the phone up and find an excuse, I try to make myself busy. My mind is racing and the health anxiety has kicked in big time. The appointments not till 1.20pm. Think its gonna be a long morning. :D

Emma xx

Meg
19-05-05, 11:00
Emma,

Can you pinpoint what it is about it that is so fearful - None of us like it but what makes yours go off the scale ?

Tell the dentist too.

Thinking of you

The dentist (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3058)

http://www.dentalfearcentral.com

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

EmmaJane
19-05-05, 11:09
My thinking just gets so negative on lots of things. I always look for the worst case scenario and then convince myself its going to happen. I know its silly really, but I cant seem to stop it. As far as im concerned, if any thing bad is going to happen, then its me it will happen to. I then thinik about the future and try and forsee what is going to happen and how I will deal with it all.

Does that sound silly?

Thank you for replying

Emma xx

Meg
19-05-05, 11:29
THink thats exactly how most of us got here in the first place .. You are not alone .

So try thinking of the whole spectrum: the worst , medium and best outcomes and then assessing which is - in reality- the most probable and how you can engineer it up a notch and using your best internal debating powers take that extreme negative voice to task and put over alternative view points... practice and practice on things that you know to be true and examples from the past.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Sue K with 5
19-05-05, 16:06
Hi Emma

You are so brave to be going !! well done for making that decision, I have cancelled 6 apts to the dentist and all need is a check up, scared i will paic in the chair

Good luck and you are a very brave girl well done for making a good decision

Sue

scknight

EmmaJane
19-05-05, 16:13
Thanks Sue,

I havent gone yet. We still have a few hours left LOL........
My head is still pounding and I keep sweating. Dont feel panicky, just a bit weird

Emma xx

seh1980
19-05-05, 18:40
Good luck Emma!! Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best. :D

EmmaJane
20-05-05, 10:03
Not long now, Im not panicking. Just not breathing LOL

Emma xx

bluesparkle
20-05-05, 10:51
hi emma
just wanted to say will be thinking of you...
im sure it will be fine... just think positive thoughts... i know thats easy for me to say... but i do understand how you are feeling right now.
let us know how you get on
rach

EmmaJane
20-05-05, 10:57
Thanks Rach, im still here till about 12.30 ish. Might PM you later, if you like for a proper chat?

Emma xx

mila
24-05-05, 12:17
I assume everything went well for you? I have 2 and a half hours till my dentist appointment[V][Sigh...]It`s a root canal, i`ve done the first part,cleaning ,preparing some weeks ago and a week after that i should`ve gone back to fill it in if it`s alright...well,that week ,that was 2 weeks ago exactly i started feeling this thing in my chest,like i can`t breathe, so i made another appointment for next week,than made my husband cancell that one too and now i know i have to go cause of the tooth,i should`ve gone than actually i`m worried for the tooth,that it might have got infected cause it feels a bit tender but i`m worried for me too , i`m scared i`ll suffocate siting in that chair , especially panicing about the anesthetic,not the injection but the feeling when it starts working, makes me feel anyway like it`s hard to breathe...well,i just had to vent...i know i have to go through this no matter what, i just really hope i`ll be alright :(

Meg
24-05-05, 15:28
Mila ,

Good luck . You must be in that chair about now..
Fingers crossed.

Meg

Karen
24-05-05, 22:39
How did it go Mila? I have to go to the dentist in a couple of weeks but I've already cancelled it once.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

mila
24-05-05, 23:08
Hi , i`m ok lol I can`t believe i`ve gone through with it lol It wasn`t nice and i was really panicing in that chair couple of times,i felt couple of times like i`m hanging upside down and i would start freaking out cause i hate that feeling but i couldn`t ask him to put a chair a bit up cause i had this rubber thing over my mouth lol so i had to just relax I guess i was alright You`ll be alright too than i`m sure Karen

sal
24-05-05, 23:25
Well done you, you got through it and coped really well.

Love Sal xx