PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you can't sleep?

Caz49
01-09-08, 12:14
Hi Everyone - it's really good to find this site as I was thinking I was the only one in a panic!

I have been struggling with this condition for 3 months. It came out of no where and I have been taking Propranolol which has certainly helped with the palpitations.

I thought I was getting better - in fact I was definitely getting better, then out of the blue yesterday I felt an attack coming on slowly. No idea why (but then I've no idea why it all started either). So by bedtime I was in serious trouble and I spent most of the night tossing and turning trying to think myself out of it. Fortunately my husband was working nights (other wise it would have been the spare room again I expect!)

Anyway. Has anyone got any recommendations for getting to sleep while being so anxious? I have nothing to be anxious about. I'm not facing some crisis in my life, in fact my life generally is fine. How can I convince myself in the wee small hours that I'm just panicing for nothing?

Today is better because I'm finding things to do and this site is helping - thankyou. But I'm dreading another night like last night and would appreciate any help you can give.

Best wishes
:scared15:

mrsdebbie
01-09-08, 12:25
hi, its not much but try and do a bit more in the day, slip in a half hour excersise session if you can, have a nice relaxing bath before you go to bed and try to do breathing excersises before trying to sleep.. breath in for 7 and out for ten, maybe do it with a relaxing cd. also its best not to go to bed until your tired, dont put pressure on yourself to be asleep by a certain time, but set yourself times to get up.. even if your not working, i find it takes me hours to get to sleep as my mind starts racing and i think too much then i want to stay in bed till 2 so i try to get up at 9 no matter how much sleep i had, i get tired but its easier getting to sleep now.

Caz49
01-09-08, 12:45
Hi - thanks for that. Funnily enough I didn't do very much yesterday! In fact I remember being quite bored as there was nothing much on the tv last night. I did some cross stitch - but it doesn't stop my mind from wandering. I started to read a PD James book - and scared myself!

What a state to be in! Perhaps I should get the bike out!

I'm pounding round the house today keeping busy, getting the washing on the line, things like that. I actually blame my lack of HRT for all this! I was taken off it about a year ago and haven't been the same since ...

many thanks
Caz

mrsdebbie
01-09-08, 12:51
ahh, and have you told the docyor about the changes since coming off it? how long ago was that? maybe it will settle down when your body gets used to not having it, sounds like your doing well anyway keeping yourself busy but the bike sounds a gre\t idea if you can. hope you get a good nights sleep tonight :D x

Caz49
01-09-08, 13:08
Hi again

No actually I haven't! Maybe I should. Thanks for that.

I'm just going to pump up the tyres :)
x

meinaz
01-09-08, 13:11
I understand the sleep thing. I usually take a bath before going to bed, if I feel anxious about trying to sleep. It's hard for me to sleep if I'm worried about my children finding me dead in the morning! Then having chest pains and feeling like I'm not breathing. I actually lie there checking my pulse for assurance only to find that it's not normal. It's usually between 83 and 99 at a "resting" state...which I'm sure is due to the anxiety itself. BUT, of course I worry that it's confirmed that there is something wrong with my heart. Funny thing is, I don't have palpatations. But, still taking the bath, and reading relaxes me. Also, a dim light and if I try to meditate or pray silently I will fall asleep in the middle of it. I find that if I am active during the day also, that my body naturally wants to fall asleep easier and my fears don't keep sleep at bay for as long. Hope this helps!

marie1974
01-09-08, 13:33
hiya just a small thing but when i cant sleep i read a book cos within half hour i am out like a light. hugs xx

Caz49
01-09-08, 14:20
Thanks everyone, you've all been so helpful!
Caz

Lexi
01-09-08, 15:26
i agree with the book idea, works a treat for me i am usually out like a light within 15mins. Nothin scary or thought provoking though, try a nice gentle read :)
Good luck!!

Caz49
02-09-08, 08:36
I took all your advice and did have a good night's sleep.

Thanks everyone.
best wishes
Caz

lunasea
02-09-08, 09:36
i usually come here and read till i understand im sane.. lol

mrsdebbie
02-09-08, 10:40
great stuff x

mrsdebbie
02-09-08, 10:42
lol my last comment was in reply to caz having a good asleep :)

Anna C
02-09-08, 18:27
Hi,
my relaxation tape, normally works when nothing else will.
If you are feeling anxious writing down your worries can help, it puts them into perspective.
Also as you know keeping busy during the day can help too.:)

I hope you have a good nights sleep tonight.
Anna x

LoveMusic
16-09-08, 21:19
I'm having problems. I can be relatively calm, but the thought of actually 'going to sleep' makes me panic, so I can't sleep!

Sometimes it ends with an attack, and I have to wake someone up to reassure me

kendo59
17-09-08, 00:12
My sleep patterns have been all over the place for months.
For the last few weeks I've been unable to sleep until 5am, and then sleep for 12 hours.
No matter if I do go to bed earlier, I just lay awake, staring at the ceiling in the dark.
So what I usually do is read a book or watch a DVD or something, until I feel tired.

milly jones
17-09-08, 16:39
when im having problems sleeping i come on nmp forum, or go in chat where u meet a whole new set of mates

hugs to bill lol, who looks after me in the wee hours

milly xx