PDA

View Full Version : Ginkgo Biloba

CarlNottm
01-09-08, 21:14
Hi,

I have been thinking about taking Ginkgo Biloba to help with anxiety and depression. has anyone taken this? is it useful? are there any side effects??

Thanks
Carl

pongo's mum
11-10-08, 20:56
Hello,:yesyes:

I thought it was meant to improve your memory?

What about selenium? Google selenium? Or check it out via Gillian McKeiths web site?

Id defo recommend brewers yeast via holland and barrett because it contains all the b vitamins.

But keep asking in here, and comparing notes, it can't do any harm

maro111
01-07-09, 12:15
I have been taking ginkgo for about a week now for Vitiligo, as it said in the paper it could be good treatment for it. I was aware that is known for concentration and memory but i was a bit sceptical. So far my concentration hs definately improved. This has helped my anxiety alot as I suffer from social anxiety and the concentration has meant that I dont worry about the people around me as much. Tbh it is a bit like putting blinkers on. Kinda focused on one thing and everything else fades into the background. The concentration has also helped my OCD alot.

From what i have heard it takes a few months for ginkgo to work properly. But so far I am definately feeling more relaxed, less argumentative (caused by depression/frustration) and more focused. Really hope it continues or even gets better :) :) :)

Good for my asthma as well.....

mark :) :)

Liam
05-01-10, 17:53
Ginko Biloba is often given for circulatory problems such as Raynauds Disease or for increasing Brain memory function. Apparently it can take months to build up in your system. It is a prescription only extract- drug here in the Republic of Ireland but not in the UK.

I have never heard of it being of any use for Depression / Anxiety, perhaps you should look into St' Johns Wort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_wort

NoPoet
05-01-10, 18:02
I looked into gingko for my Citalopram Survival Guide thread. Ginko does not have any antidepressant properties that I am aware of but it is believed to reduce the impact of citalopram on the human sex drive. Gingko biloba can only be combined with SSRI medication on a doctor's advice and it cannot be taken with ibuprofen or aspirin or other anticoagulants.

Just.A.Girl.x
05-01-10, 19:56
I have been taking it for 2 days now..no bad effects as of yet hehe..I will let you know in a week :P

You from Nottingham Carl?? Me too :)

xxx

Nomorepalpitations
18-02-10, 12:06
Ginko improves circulation (mildly) and hence oxygen flow to the brain, this is how it improves memory. It does not help anxiety or depression, not in my case anyway.

Nomorepalpitations
18-02-10, 12:15
For anxiety and depression some natural supplements are hops, valerian, passiflora (anxiety) and you could try 5htp for depression, exercise is good for depression as well.