PDA

View Full Version : Need some reassurance...Citalopram?

Magik
02-09-08, 02:35
Hi, I've been having panic attacks for a good 3 months or so now, my doctor is trying alot of things, but the anti-anxiety meds werent working and she wants to put me on Anti-Depressants.

But after reading the cautions and the warnings and the possible side effects, I am so afraid to take them.

Has anyone ever been on Citalopram before?

It warns about suicidal thoughts and that you can't discontinue the meds without consulting your doctor and everything..first time I've seen any pills with this type of warning and I'm getting stressed about medicine that might help me.

I mean, I'd hate to have to call my doc for every little question, I think she's starting to wonder if I'm not stressing over every little thing. x.x

So anyone who has been on them and can possibly help, I'd appreciate it... thanks x.x

ShineUK
02-09-08, 11:47
Hi I've been taking Citalopram for a couple of weeks and sadly they don't seem to be helping me much! I'm not saying that they won't help you though and they may be worth a try. I haven't had any nasty thoughts, but the panics are still coming.
Thinking of you
Shine UK

emma81
02-09-08, 18:38
Hiya

I have been on numerous anti depressants over the past 5 years and have currently been taking citalopram for about 18 months. Like you i am the sort who will read all the leaflet then talk myself out of taking them but i have kept on with my citalopram. The first time i took them i felt a bit strange but i found doing things to keep me busy distracted me from the slightly strange feeling and it soon passed. The second day i hardly got any strange feeling and from then onwards all has been fine. I could be wrong but i think most anti-d's now have a warning about increase in suicidal feelings ever since all that stuff about seroxat and suicides a few years ago on the news. I have been on a lot of different anti-d's and none of them have made me feel any any more depressed just a kind of strange tired but need to do something feeling for the first couple of days. I know its easier said than done but go for it, and see how you get on. If you think there is anything to worry about then your doc or nhs direct or the hospital are only a phonecall away - nothing bad can happen xx take care

Shone
02-09-08, 22:20
I have suffered panic attacks/anxiety on and off for 6 years now. this is thefirst time i have been prescribed anti-depressants. Citalopram doesnt work until week 3-4 i was told. I am into week 3 now and i have to say i think they are working, my anxiety has eased and the panic attacks have lessened, im not as emotional and tearful as i was a couple of weeks ago. I was worried too after reading the leaflet and was in two minds whether to take them or not and so far i am glad i did. Stick with it, and dont worry about the doctors thats what they are there for. I have a fantastic doctor at the moment who wants to see me every fortnight to talk things through etc. they may not be right for everyone but they seem to work for me.

Shone x

Magik
02-09-08, 23:46
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback, I"m going to start them tonight then. I do have Xanax if I start feeling too weird. I'm just worried about some of the other side effects. Not used to medication saying things like that on the leaflet xD

KaylaMarie
05-09-08, 02:08
Argh...I am the same way...I read the pamphlet and then not take the medicine at all...
I dont even read pamphlets for my medications anymore..it just makes me worry.
Instead I ask my boyfriend to read them and take note of the symptoms to be ware of....Then If I am feeling odd...I explain what I feel to him and If it is a bad symptom i trust him to let me know so I can do what is neccesary instead of me freaking out 24/7 if I had read the book myself.

I have never taken that medicine before but I just thought this may help you until you feel confident enough to read the booklet yourself without feeling odd about it. ^.^

Lou~Lou
05-09-08, 08:27
Ive been on Citalopram now for 9 weeks and have only good things to say about this Med.Yes i did have side affect's like bad tummy, feeling spaced out, headaches etc but I can now drive, go to the supermarket, im back at work, have had a night out with the girls - all in all I have my life back!
BTW, have you ever read the side affects on a packet of paracetamol/aspirin/indigestion tablets?