PDA

View Full Version : Large Hadron Collider

panic123321
02-09-08, 17:30
The stories I've heard about this thing have made me very anxious. I won't go into what it is in the fear I might worry other people but if you know about it I'd love to hear something reassuring to help ease my worry.

nomorepanic
02-09-08, 18:28
Can you tell us what it is?

kendo59
02-09-08, 19:26
Isn't it some kind of high-energy particle accelerator to do with combining electro-magnetic & nuclear forces with gravity, to recreate the Big-Bang creation of the universe (under controlled laboratory conditions), and produce mini black holes and 'dark anti-matter'?

Have you read the book "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown? If not, you should.

Tom_M
02-09-08, 19:27
The LHC is the latest and most powerful in a series of particle accelerators that, over the last 70 years, have allowed us to penetrate deeper and deeper into the heart of matter and further and further back in time. The next steps in the journey will bring new knowledge about the beginning of our Universe and how it works, as the LHC recreates, on a microscale, conditions that existed billionths of a second after the birth of our Universe.
http://www.lhc.ac.uk/

I don't know why people worry so much about this. Events like the ones they are investigating happen in outer space all the time.

Tom

jill
02-09-08, 19:27
Hi hun, :D:hugs:

I know very little about this, don't understand it so don't really want to read stuff like this. I do feel its people, yet again, trying to frighten the life out of us.

Hunny,:hugs: I know its dame hard for you, but please, DON'T read stuff like this, it it will only fuel your anxiety.

There was another thread awhile ago, not sure if it will be of any help, but you will see, there was another memeber with the same worries as you,

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32906

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

seeker
02-09-08, 19:28
Well, they are accelerating atoms and particles very fast, so they can try to recreate the big bang. some people are scare mongering that it will be the end the world...but they are wrong. probably, we'll turn it on and it won't work, as happens with most physics experiments! I'm a physics teacher, by the way...

seeker
02-09-08, 19:33
Safety aspects have been considered fully:

'The safety of collisions at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was studied
in 2003 by the LHC Safety Study Group, who concluded that they
presented no danger.'

milly jones
02-09-08, 19:48
wow the things u learn on nmp

ladybird64
02-09-08, 20:58
I read about this in an Italian newspaper (online version) and got myself in knots trying to translate what it was saying so I decided to investigate it a bit further. (St Google :winks: )
I have learnt quite a bit about it and although I'm not frightened, I can fully understand those who are.
Scientists are not infallible, they do make mistakes and on a personal level (I freely admit to having practically no knowledge of physics or science whatsoever) I wish they would leave well alone.
I maybe boring but I have no interest in how the universe was created or what happened in the immediate aftermath..I'm more interested in the preservation of the world we have now.

Just my tuppenceworth. :)

bab
02-09-08, 21:05
I read about this I think in a paper at the weekend - It did worry me a little

stm93
03-09-08, 16:02
Actually things like LHC make me very very excited - after all this IS something interesting, scientific progress and natural wonder. It makes me laugh people thinking that we (humans) can re-create Big Bang. Shows that they have no clue whatsoever what is (was) a big bang and what kind of energies were involved. Simply put, we can't and never will re-create proper big bang or create a black hole that would suck everyone in. Can't wait until experiments finally start in LHC!!!!

lesleya
03-09-08, 21:44
The Universe started with a Big Bang – but we don’t fully understand how or why it developed the way it did. The LHC will let us see how matter behaved a tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang.
No idea why they have to keep messing around with our planet..

ch19ler
03-09-08, 21:54
Take it with a pinch of salt!
Cx

JimP
05-09-08, 09:26
I'm not the only who had a major panic attcak when hearing about this??!

read the article and it startde saying about a black hole etc, then at the end says, but dont worry, there's no chance of it happening! so why the f**k print the story in the first place!!!!

HeatherMc
05-09-08, 11:10
I read this yesterday, for the love of god, why do they print things like this, I remember all the hoo ha in the 80s re nuclear wars, some newspapers even printed lists of what food to hoard and how to build a bomb shelter in your garden. for goodness sake, the media just love to alarm us sometimes remember all the disaster movies re comets a couple of years ago,

got to go and dig out a tin of 80's corned beef for my lunch now

Take care

Heather

JimP
05-09-08, 13:24
Scaremongering isn't it, apparently the chances of a black hole are the same as the machine creating fire breathing dragons

I read that but still scared thinking what if they are wrong - I know I am chatastrohising and it's making me feel sick but I just cant stop negative thoughts sometimes!

:(