PDA

View Full Version : Efexor ?

kd
28-11-03, 20:34
Hello, I've posted on here several times lately desperately seeking advice and been very grateful of the responses i've received. My situation was worsening and I had been stressing in a big way as a result of my over-reactions in certain situations. I was coming home crying and lost half a stone in 4wks. I was having panic attacks through 60mg of beta-blockers. In desperation, i went back to the docs today. He's now given me Efexor and is looking into CBT for me. I'm hoping this will stop my negative thoughts which kick off the blushing, hyper-ventilating, shaking etc.

What i was wondering, can you drink "any" alcohol. I know it says not to but its often when you don't have a drink that ppl start asking awkward questions especially around xmas. I've told friends etc. about my problem but do not want to mention it to work colleagues for fear of appearing weak -espeically as its not an environment that suits anxious people like me!!

Also, has anyone had any side effects. i took a citalopram and my lips swelled, and i kept geting involuntary movements and scratching. I'm yet to take my first efexor, but want to know what i have ahead of me.

Will I be able to function okay in the next few weeks without ppl noticing any jitteryness?

Jennifer
28-11-03, 21:14
Hi, I know your pain. I feel the same way. I'm struggling bad. All meds have been awful, including Effexor. It made me feel awful from that first dose of 37.5 mlg. But, I do know the meds will make you feel worse b4 better, but the worse is what I can't deal with. I got the tremors from that and dizzy and just felt plain out of. I know I have a very sensitive reaction from SSRI"s.. they bring on strange symptoms, I had the very same reaction from the Celexa(Citro).. but the worse that can happen is the same if not a worse feeling, but take w/ caution. You may just have sensitive reaction to the Serotonin which is more common thent these drs. care to admit. But maybe radar w/ help she's a better expert.

sadie
28-11-03, 21:54
Hi kd

I am presently trying to come off Venlafaxine and I think its giving me terrible symptoms. I feel awful. I am tingling all over but in particular my right side of my body, dizzy, nauseous, and I have felt particular itchy all over my body today also. Plus I have had a migraine for 5 days now also ( or I think its a migraine). I have only really been taking these tablets for 2 months and to be honest I didn't feel any affects until about 3-4 weeks. The first few weeks I also suffered terrible symptoms, they made me feel 10 times worse, in fact I couldn't eat or anything I was so worked up.

However, I have chosen to stop taking these pills myself just because I wan to try and take control of my anxiety myself..although I know this is going to be difficult. Once my pills started to work though, I felt good so they help when you need it. Dont worry about whether other people will notice anything strange about you because they wont. The majority of the time no one evers suspects someone is suffering panic attacks or anxiety becauase we tend to not show it and act normal to everyone else. Its only ourselves that know how we feel.

Take care

sadie

Meg
28-11-03, 23:13
Kd,

It's not advised to include alcohol but people do every day and they're totally fine. Your choice.

I used to have a G+T and then keep topped up with just tonic all evening. Not very exciting but kept the questions at bay.

Lots but not all people have symptoms when first starting a SSRI , it has to be got through before the ready brek feeling kicks in.
There may be a considerable wait for CBT, what are you doing in the meantime to actively help yourself ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
29-11-03, 00:35
Hiya KD
About the not drinking thing...I havent gotten drunk since this started 18 months ago. I have since had one baileys and about 3 glasses of wine ...so few i can still count them...lol
Its been my choice not to drink so each to their own but loads of people keep asking me why (including tonite a guy asked me if i wanted a double vodka to top off my orange juice).
The excuses ive given are that a) Im on a health kick, b) not in the mood or c) its funny being able to remember all the things drunk people do and be able to remind them about it later...lol, d)its too cold to take the bus so im driving. Dont feel pressured to drink if you dont fancy it, have a drink if you do... if in doubt LIE...lol
Love Sarah
xxx

kd
29-11-03, 12:47
Thank you for all your replies. I'll start taking the effexor tomorrow. daren't just yet!

Radar - you asked what I'm doing to deal with my problems at the moment. I'm doing quite well, in that I'm sharing my problems with family and some friends. I'm taking beta blockers, however they are not too effective. I've half mentioned to my boss that I worry too much .... but not mentioned the full extent of my problems. The most rediculous thing that I'm having problems with at the moment is that i seem to have stupid reactions (panic attacks) whenever sexuality is mentioned -i'm on a new course and its mentioned all the time with discrimination issues etc. It would make it ten times easier if I was gay but I'm not. I've been single for many years now so in my mind i must be thinking that ppl think i'm gay cos i'm single; this has only just been an issue since starting the course, and only becomes an issue once again when its being discussed. This sounds so screwed up, and indeed it is. I think far too much, and always think people are judging me. I'm sitting waiting for "it" to be mentioned and waiting for the panic to start. Its like I'm in half panic mode in anticipation of it coming up. Its like when I'm in a shop I think ppl are watching me cos they think I'm going to steal something. So, i want to take the effexor to stop all these stupid negative thoughts about myself and so i can live life to the max instead of having stupid worries all the time.

I was too embarrassed to mention the full extent of this to my GP but have shared it with my family and friends which has made me feel better. And, thank goodness, they are not concerned that maybe there is an underlying issue -cos there's not. I'm just paranoid about anything and everything.

I've probably given too much detail there, but hope that people can understand the stupidness of it.

Also- can I take that bach remedy with effexor ?

thanks for support

florence
29-11-03, 13:27
Hi all,
I've started efexor yesterday but they make me feel so strange.I feel shaky inside and it's not showing outside.
I yawn every 5 minutes and everything around me feels unreal like being in a dream. I feel really dizzy too. Lightheaded and tense in same time.
Has anyone had the same effects? Are those effects going to pass? Should I still carry on them?
Please reply, it would help me so much.
Lots of love.
Florence.

benoo5
29-11-03, 17:37
kd,

yes,you can take bach rescue..it will probably help you..a few drops in a bottle of mineral water,and sip all day.

florence,

please read all the posts,and use the search facility at the top of the page...all these medications,seem to make you feel worse ,for a few weeks,before they kick in..well worth the wait....bryan.

twister
29-11-03, 21:17
Both times I have taken Cipralex (SSRI) I felt awful for a week, didn't sleep, panicking, jittery inside but then the side effects stopped and they really help me. My advice would be to try them for at least a few weeks and if they are still not agreeing with you go back to the doctors.

Regarding drinking - I still do this and am fine, although today I have a hangover and am feeling panicky!

Emily

sadie
30-11-03, 09:22
Hi all

I am trying to reduce my dose of Efexor by taking one 75mg every 2nd day. Since ive started to do this I have been feeling kind of weird. I have had tingling down my limbs, face and in my mouth and a sore head. I was wondering wold it be best just to stop taking these pills altogether or will that just make things worse? Bryan has previously wrote that it take 8 weeks for medication to get our your system, does that mean I will feel like this for 8 weeks...I only took the pills properly for 8 weeks? Lastly, is coming off medication dangerous or what i mean to say are these symptoms dangerous?

I really wish I never started taking medication!!!

sadie

twister
30-11-03, 12:47
Sadie

Has your doctor not given you a time plan to come off of them.

When I came off of Cipralex before I was on 10mg, I went down to 5mg for a couple of weeks and then 5mg every other day for a couple of weeks. As your dosage is higher I should think you'd have to come off it more slowly. You can get a lot of medications in liquid form to allow you to reduce them more slowly, your doctor should know about this.

The withdrawal symptoms arent dangerous they are just horrible but I have found can be avoided by doing it carefully and sensibly.

If you have only been taking them for 8 weeks you also have to think that maybe it is just the original problem showing itself....

Emily

benoo5
30-11-03, 16:11
sadie,

i didnt mean it takes eight weeks for the drugs to clear the system,its the withdrawal symptoms that take the time.

if your still feeling rough,then phone your doctors surgery,and ask for a priority appointment.

hope you feel better soon...bryan.

kd
01-12-03, 13:11
.... another problem I am experiencing is that i have almost totally lost my appetite. I prepare something, look at it, and just don't feel like it. Once the effexor has kicked in do you think I should get an appetite back. I've lost over half a stone in 5wks.

Meg
01-12-03, 13:18
Hi KD,

I can comment on losing weight. I lost stacks about 1.5 stone when I was acute in about a month, sadly for me, it all went back on soon enough when I learnt to calm down.

Lucky was concerned at the amount she lost too, we haven't heard about it recently so hope it's settled. I don't think she needed to lose it though.

I lived on just about hummus and crackers only for several weeks. Don't know how much to do with SSRI or just the massive energy needed to sustain anxiety and panic plus all the GI issues.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarap
01-12-03, 14:36
Hi kd,

I took Efexor for anxiety and depression and it really helped me. Took it for over a year. I also lost my appetite, but think that was becasue I felt slightly nauseous. Had to remember to eat regularly to keep the blood sugar up. I also had no problems coming off it.

Let us know how you go.

Sara x

kd
01-12-03, 17:21
Thanks for your good words Sarah. I'm on day two with my tablets and its certainly not as bad as I was with citalopram which I couldn't even get passed day 1. Last night i fell asleep at 8 and woke at 4.30 with racing thoughts but i didn't have the itchy skin or involuntary movements (twitchy legs, feet and waking up scratching). I was sick lastnight about 2hrs after taking it, so hoping that the tablet had absorbed beforehand because I can cope with those side effects, though i got an incredibly stiff neck and my pupils were huge. I'm just struggling to find food worth eating, I've been a big food lover and suddenly over the past 4wks its gone. At least I can fit into some of my old clothes!!

kd
01-12-03, 20:18
I took my 2nd tablet about 3.5hrs ago, and I've got terrible neck ache and keep getting a sore jaw. Is this normal? I just feel all knotted up ???

sadie
01-12-03, 20:42
Hi KD

Your terrible neck ache and sore jaw will be through tension. Thats exactly what I get also. You shoulders will be sitting up tight and you will be tensing your jaw and probably crunching you teeth even though you wont realise your doing it. I do this in my sleep and get terrible tension headaches and earache etc because of it. I also have a really sore neck and have a very tender neck muscle which causes me a lot of pain. Try your best to relax and try not to worry too much about taking your medication. I did get some side affects at first when i started taking these pills but they do pass and make you feel good. I also lost my appetite for a little while but tried to eat soup or something light until it came back..and it does come back!! Take a nice relaxing bath and do some deep breathing and some stretches to loosen out your tight muscles and that should help.

Take care

sadie

Meg
01-12-03, 20:50
KD , getting a massage may make a huge difference to you at this time if the muscles are really taut.

Sadie has a good point about jaw crunching in your sleep and the pain that can result from it.

Take care, I know you're really struggling today but you are doing something to help yourself . Try to stick with it and allow it to work. If it's giving you sideeffects then something's going on inside and will do its best for you soon.

Meg

sadie
01-12-03, 21:54
Hi Radar

i am still trying to come off my exefor pills. I dont feel quite as bad as I did last week but I do still feel tingling done my arms and legs but not as bad and now i am getting really itchy all over. Is this a side effect?

I am taking 75mg every 3rd day now..do you think that will be ok?

sadie

twister
02-12-03, 13:28
i think you should see your doctor to get a weaning off plan as I dont think this is the correct way to do it

I think you need to drop the dosage before you do the every other day thing, otherwise your body is getting confused as every third day you are having a big dose leaving you in a permanent state of side effects

When I withdrew from Cipralex I dropped the dose bit by bit to a very low dose and then did every other day.

Emily

sadie
02-12-03, 19:49
Thanks Emily,

I know youre probably right, but the doctor said there werent any lower dosages but surely there must be.. I will call tommorrow and tell them how I have been feeling. I start to feel better after not taking a tablet but today I took one and felt weird for a little while.

sadie

twister
02-12-03, 21:25
I got this from the Effexor website

EFFEXOR XR can be prescribed in different dosage strengths (37.5 mg, 75 mg, and 150 mg). The usual starting dose is 75 mg, but only your doctor can tell you which dose is right for you and whether it will need to be adjusted over time.

The capsule can also be carefully opened and its contents sprinkled onto a spoonful of applesauce. This should be swallowed immediately and followed by drinking a glass of water. Do not chew this mixture before swallowing.

Emily

sadie
02-12-03, 22:00
Hi Emily

So do you think I should just open each capsule and sprinkle some onto some food (does it have to be applesauce?). What website did you find this information?

sadie

twister
02-12-03, 22:02
I'd advise you to go and see a better doctor!

You can get lower strength capsules - and I dont know about the magic applesauce!

I looked on www.wyeth.com who make the product

Emily

sadie
02-12-03, 22:08
Thanks Emily,

Thanks for the advice..youre probably right I best go see the doctor and ask for lower dosage of pills. I never even thought about trying to find out if there were lower dosages of Exeffor..just goes to show 2 heads are definetly better than 1.

Will let you know how I get on.

Take care

sadie

sadie
05-12-03, 21:36
Hi all

As you may know, I am trying to stop taking my Exeffor tablets by reducing my dosage..although this doesnt seem to be working too well. I have tried to get an appointment with my GP but they all seem too far away. Anyway, I havent had a tablet since Tuesday, I was supposed to take one today but forgot. Should I take it now or is it too late at night?

Also I have tried to find out what the discontinuation symptoms are for this pill but cant find any information. My head feels weird, as though I am not quite all there (that may actually be true..!!). I feel my body jerks, I noticed this especially in my sleep, my mouth is dry and still tingling.

Should I just not take any more tablets or is this dangerous? Are the symptoms I am expereincing dangerous??

I feel really confused about my medication. I know I keep harping on about this but I dont really know what is for the best. This confusion is making me feel more anxious.

Can anyone help??

sadie

nomorepanic
05-12-03, 22:07
Sadie

I would take it now - better late than never as they say!

Nicola

benoo5
05-12-03, 22:08
hi sadie,

firstly,its not dangerous at all.

wot does it say on the bottle? ie,one to be taken in morning etc...if so,i would be inclined to forget about tonite,and see how you feel,in the morning.

have a glass of water at your bedside,so if you wake up,with a dry throat,you can take a sip.

if your still worried...phone NHS DIRECT..or in some places its called NHS24..they are registered nurses,and quite often have a doctor on duty..they will advise you,as its far easier explaining one 2 one on the phone,than on here..best wishes..bryan.

sadie
05-12-03, 22:26
Hi Bryan

My tablets say 'one to be taken daily'. I think I will just take them tommorrow as its a bit late now!! Sorry for keep going on and on about my medication but I never have been particularly good at taking pills!!

Anyway, just a small note to say, your messages on the humour page have had me in stitches over this last week, particularly the ones about your toaster and the Xmas Nopanic party!! Thats sounds like one for the diary.

No pressure or anything but keep it up, you may just cure us all with your funny stories.

sadie

kd
07-12-03, 16:11
Hi.

I am now on day 6 of taking effexor and feel loads better. I think the initial 2 days are the most awful. I suppose it'll still take a few weeks to take effect. I did make the nmistake of drinking yesterday, and consuming quite a lot. i then remembered that i had to take my tablet (take them about 4.30pm each day) and half an hour after i could barely keep my eyes open. I suppose I shouldn't drink with them especially while my body is getting used to them.

Will my pupils always be dilated after taking a tablet. I look evil after taking one with big black eyes. or, is this just at the beginning ? I'm only onm 37.5mg for now, the doc is going to increase after 6 wks. Will my symptoms come back when the dosage is increased?

sadie
07-12-03, 22:53
Hi KD

Im glad that you are feeling better after taking your Efexor tablets. When I started taking mine they made me feel terrible for about 2 weeks but I did start with 75 mg..anyway any side affects do wear off and things seem a lot better. I think as you have started with a smaller dosage your system will be used to the medication and that you wont really experience any side effects..but maybe Radar can give you better advice on this one.

I have been trying to come off my tablets but seem to be struggling a bit with this. So, after suffering weird sensations throughout this week and several panic attacks, Ive decided to continue with the tablets until I visit my GP again and sort it all out. Plus I feel with Xmas coming up it may make me feel a bit calmer so I can properly enjoy the festivities.

With regards to you drinking on the tablets, I have too and felt ok. Are you not supposed to??

I also felt that my eyes were dilated too when I took the pills..maybe thats just what happens..I wouldn't worry too much about that and I bet that you dont look evil.

speak to you soon..

sadie

twister
07-12-03, 22:59
Hi Sadie and KD

You are allowed to drink with anti-deps (as long as your doc doesnt tell you not to) but obviously as alcohol is a depressant you should take it easy.

I have never noticed my having dilated pupils though, I'm sure it'll pass and you dont look evil[}:)]

Sadie - I think it is a good idea to take your medication until you see the doctor and do it properly, they are strong drugs and you should try and manage them proplerly.

Emily

sadie
07-12-03, 23:02
Hi Emily

Yeah, youre right..I just wasnt feeling the best over these last few days, but seem to be feeling better now,thank god.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask..where do you all get these funny little faces from on your messages??

sadie

Meg
07-12-03, 23:04
Hi KD,

As the dose increases you may have transient side effects again but as Sadie says you've already got some drug in your system so it should be easier.

Meg

twister
07-12-03, 23:04
do a reply to topic instead of quick reply and they are on the left.

come in to the chatroom[:p][:p]

Emily

sadie
07-12-03, 23:07
Would love too..but Ive tried a few times now and it keeps saying Ive been unsuccessful. I have tried to install the 'Java' thing but somehow it doesnt work..it must have something to do with my PC.

I'm going to ask my brother as he works with PC everyday..

Say hi to everyone for me

sadie

nomorepanic
08-12-03, 21:23
Sadie

If you are using Internet Explorer then there will be an option that may need turning on that allows Java (I think !!)

Nicola

kd
11-12-03, 19:43
Hi,

I'm now on day 12 with my tablets and feeling no more horrible side effects. Does this mean that they are starting to work. I feel more comfortable with things and not so panicky in situations. Though I've not found myself in the real anxiety inducing situations lately. They are still to come.

I've been breaking up my beta blockers and taking them about every 3 hours -maybe this is why I'm not feeling so bad.

Just feel a lot more postive at the moment and really pleased.

Is it the betablockers or could the drug be starting to work -or the combination. I'm not ready to take the betablockers away until I'm sure its working.

twister
11-12-03, 20:02
not sure which drug is working more but the good news is you're feeling better so keep it up!:)

Emily

Meg
11-12-03, 21:27
Good news kd.

When you're ready take a betablocker about every 4 hours and then every 5 hours,having reduced the dose first at 3 hours.

Everything you do with meds - do slowly .

Glad to hear they're all kicking in and you're feeling better.

Meg

sadie
12-12-03, 21:13
Hi Radar,

Ive had to start taking my Exeffor tablets everyday again as when I was trying to come off them I was feeling REALLY awful. Got a GP appt for next week but Im worried incase he tells me just to do what I was doing before...taking my 75mg tablet every 2/3 days. I really didnt feel good doing this.

The other thing is I feel a bit better now on these tablets so maybe I should stay on them for a bit longer? The only thing is I know that I need to come off them sometime and learn to deal with my anxiety but dont know when the time will be right?

Does anyone else feel so confused about their medication? Does the symptoms get worse immediately when stopping the medication?

Please advise if you can.

sadie

Meg
13-12-03, 15:40
Hi Sadie ,

As I recall you haven't been on them very long have you ?

See what your GP says . When/if you do decide to come off so it as gently and slowly as possible .
Christmas probably isn't the best time and if you're prone to feeling worse in the winter leave it until the sun is starting to come up a bit more too.

Meg

sadie
13-12-03, 15:45
Hi Meg,

I've only been on them for about 2mths and 2 weeks now but the first month was hell so I've only had any benefits for the remainder of the time.

You are probably right, I think I should wait until next year when I can be more focused on coping with the withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks Meg....Youre a star.

sadie

kd
28-12-03, 10:19
I've now been taking my effexor for 4 weeks now, and just feel "normal". I've not really put myself in an anxiety inducing situation for the last 2.5 wks so not sure if they work.

I feel a lot more relaxed about things, and don't feel the cloud of doom hanging over my head anymore, but this could be cos I've had the past 2wks off work. Though I did start shaking the other day in an anxious moment.

When I return to work (involves team meetings etc which I HATE!) should i try going without the added beta-blockers, or wait until i see my doctor -as I'm just not sure if the effexor is working as I'm only on a very low dose -37.5mg????

Is it necessary to increase to 75mg as this is what the doc said he might do when i return 6wks after beginning medication. Is 75mg the best for anxiety??? I'm a bit concerned that I might think these are working, go without betablockers and have the shakes, hyperventilating, blushing etc etc.

I suppose i might need my doctor to answer these questions, but thought I'd start here cos you're all so helpful!!

Thanks.

KD

Meg
28-12-03, 18:02
KD,
I'd stick to the betablockers until you really feel better and have challenged yourself sucessfully. Also use several challenging situations to gauge when and if to raise your dose ..

Discuss with your doc when possible.

I'm pleased you're doing better now, now challenge yourself and work on triggers and situations that are hard for you.

Meg

kd
13-01-04, 19:46
I'm now in my 7th week on effexor at a low dosage of 37.5mg and I'm doing well, and the GP said i can conmtinue to take beta-blockers when necessary as they both work very differently. So, I'm happier psychologically...... but I now have a physical problem I didn't have before, and have come across other people with this problem on the internet .... that is SWEATING I have body odour I have never had before. I could get away without wearing deoderant and now i stink. I'm probably more aware than anyone else admittedly but its something I'm not keen on. Is this the price I have to pay for no bad anxiety symtoms - i guess this is the one I'd opt to have if i had to have one! Does anyone else have this problem and offer me any advice ???

Its funny cos i was so desperate before i started effexor that i ws considering a huge bank loan for a sympathectomy, but the side effects if you have it for anxiety and facuial blushing is that you can then end up sweating instread -maybe effexor works in a similar way?? anyone know, or am I alonew with this nasty smell !!! (I'm not horribly smelly, I do tend to exaggerate a wee bit)

kd
13-01-04, 19:49
sorry.. me again... also I have lost nearly a stone. I'm now just over 9stone at 5 foot 9. Feel a bit of a skinny ribs but I tend to look at food and just not fancy it. I did have a big meal and managed it tonight but i could easily have done without it. Its like my hunger has gone.

Is this normal?

Meg
13-01-04, 22:19
Hi Kd,

The weight loss.. some people on SSRI really chunk out and others lose weight. Anxiety makes you lose weight anyway.

I would recommend that you don't try to force yourself to eat big meals but eat 5-6 smaller ones . Banana and yogurt sort of ones to make up the quantities.

The sweating thing - it could be the by products of the chemicals in the Effexor being excreted by the skin.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Meg

april tones
02-04-04, 20:24
hi all im on exeffor and experienced same side effects when statrting them. I felt like i was on ecstasy, it was horrible, i was teeth chattering etc. i feel brill now though and wish i took them sooner, i struggled to long with out med, it does help

apriltones

kahlua
17-04-04, 23:53
I took effexor 150mg for 18 months. the med in general, worked well, but I couldn't handle the side effects. Since it has a short half life, if I missed a dose, I would feel so rotten. I'd get flu like symptoms and feel so sick. I was taking so many days off work because of it. I switched to Fluoxetine, which is working well. If the effexor didn't have so many side effects, I would probably still be taking it.

april tones
19-04-04, 21:02
hi, does any one know if you can take vit supplements with this anti deppressant? vit b groups, evening primrose and cod liver oil?

apriltones

Meg
19-04-04, 21:42
Yes you can certainly take Vit B and Omega 3 so see no reason why not the others.

Do ask a pharmacist/ health shop owner as they often have potential interaction databases now .

Meg

april tones
20-04-04, 10:59
thanks meg x

apriltones

kd
10-05-04, 13:35
Hello all.

I started this thread off so thought I'd give an update. i was reminded to look on here because there was a report on radio 2 about the over-prescription of antidepressants -which i dont doubt. They were a last resort for me, and have had massive changes on my life.

I'm more confident in my job doing things I never thought possible. I am interacting with clients confidently. Occasionally someone may make me nervous and i can feel the beginnings of an anxiety attack (nostril flaring slightly) but becasue the symptoms dont increase from that I dont have that spiral effect of "god, they can see me panicking" and then getting into a worse state.

I'm no longer relying on betablockers and managing well on 37.5mg of effexor a day. I am anxious about coming off them particularly when there are minor anxiety symptoms (but i think they are controlled by the effexor).... i think it'll get bad again - if in a horrid situation.

I know this is a question for my GP but I wont go for a while. How long can I stay on effexor at a low dose. I'd love to stay on it forever actually.

As well as feeling better at work I no longer feel so self-conscious and no longer feel that I am being "watched". I'm also now in a relationship - this was all inconceivable before.

Meg
10-05-04, 16:04
Hi KD,

Glad you're feeling so much better on them.

Most GP's initially say 18 month -2 years but many people hav ebene on them for many more years than that. No medical limit.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

kd
01-06-04, 17:08
Over the past 6 months tyings have improved massively but just over the past week I'm noticing some differences ... like feeling a self conscious and self aware again, stuttering a bit and getting panicky in a one on one setting when the other person is doing the talking and me the listening. i just feel myself become very aware of my panicy and i do think if i wasn't on this medication that i would def go into a full on panic ...... should i see about increasing my dose. I'm on such a small amount that maybe it is no longer working.

Any suggestions? I have been feeling really tired and de-motivated - maybe this is why I'm feeling like this ?

Meg
01-06-04, 18:16
Hi kd,

SSRI's are not drugs you get resistant too.

How about trying to use these times to learn to cope with the self aware feelings instead and build up the tools and skills to deal with the uncomfortable feelings.
Practice your breathing and distraction techniques firstly.

Being tired is never helpful, so take extra special care of yourself these next few weeks, watching your sleep, diet , exercise etc and that may be all you need to get over this blip..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

kd
01-06-04, 19:59
Thanks Meg for your advice and reassurance.

I will take heed of your advice.

Its funny you mention diet. I am very sensitive to a lot of foods (particularly grains and additives)and haven't been very good at sticking to a non-allergy diet lately relying on antihistamines. Perhaps this doesn't help ! Also I missed a tablet about a week ago and haven't felt quite right since.

I'll be more postive instead of worrying that things aren't working!

lazaru
21-06-04, 14:12
anyone had any exzperience with efexor and ocd/panic disorder treatment? success or failure. i've only just started after 6 years of taking anafranil and fingers X it will work this time

april tones
23-06-04, 20:31
hi all, has anyone had experiences of being pregnant on this or any other med your not suppose to?? i wasnt trying to get pregnant but havent come on yet, week and half late but done test and says clear/??

apriltones

CHRISTY HACKNEY
15-07-04, 21:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hello, I've posted on here several times lately desperately seeking advice and been very grateful of the responses i've received. My situation was worsening and I had been stressing in a big way as a result of my over-reactions in certain situations. I was coming home crying and lost half a stone in 4wks. I was having panic attacks through 60mg of beta-blockers. In desperation, i went back to the docs today. He's now given me Efexor and is looking into CBT for me. I'm hoping this will stop my negative thoughts which kick off the blushing, hyper-ventilating, shaking etc.

What i was wondering, can you drink "any" alcohol. I know it says not to but its often when you don't have a drink that ppl start asking awkward questions especially around xmas. I've told friends etc. about my problem but do not want to mention it to work colleagues for fear of appearing weak -espeically as its not an environment that suits anxious people like me!!

Also, has anyone had any side effects. i took a citalopram and my lips swelled, and i kept geting involuntary movements and scratching. I'm yet to take my first efexor, but want to know what i have ahead of me.

Will I be able to function okay in the next few weeks without ppl noticing any jitteryness?

I TAKE EFEXOR NOW,I LIKE IT.

<div align="right">Originally posted by kd - 28 November 2003 : 20:34:04</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">