PDA

View Full Version : Claustraphobic and getting worse!

PJ1
02-09-08, 23:57
Hi. I'm 33 and have always had a dislike of enclosed spaces / having no exits. However, in the last 4 years it has got dramatically worse. I live in central London but have not used the tube in over 5 years (walking helps to keep me fit though!) and now I am getting to the point where it is starting to rule my life as I am avoiding situations that may result in me being enclosed. I dread flying and worry about it for weeks beforehand because I know I am going to panic once they close the doors. My last panic attack was on Sunday as I was queuing in traffic to drive through the Rotherhithe tunnel. I just felt an overwhelming sense of being trapped, not being able to breath and burning up. I had to get out of the car in the middle of the road and get my boyfriend to drive. I've made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow to see what they can do and today I have signed up to this site so I am hoping it will get better. I would love to hear from anyone that has the same problems as I do and any ideas on how to make it better.... thank you.

feels_like_home
03-09-08, 04:16
Hi,
I feel very claustraphobic in elevators, basements with no widows and when too many people are crowding me or talking to me all at once. I got stuck in an elevator in university for about 20 min and felt so trapped. You are not alone.
Take care.
Michelle

Southern_Belle
03-09-08, 16:37
Hi PJ,

Welcome to the site. Many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get support. Glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

lorac
03-09-08, 16:56
Hi PJ

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

bottleblond
03-09-08, 17:03
Hi PJ

WELCOME to the site.

I am Agoraphobic but i do suffer from Claustraphobia too. I sometimes even hate locking the toilet door just incase it won't open again, i would never go in an elivator, plane or anything else that m means i can't get out when i want to.

You will find lots of support here

Lisa
xxx

milly jones
03-09-08, 17:39
A wonderfully warm NMP welcome to you

Milly xxxx :hugs:

nomorepanic
03-09-08, 21:31
Hi PJ

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

pooh
04-09-08, 08:34
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x