PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia over doctors and smear

Helen1973
03-09-08, 13:14
This is my second post on this exam/test sorry!

Does anyone else here start to believe that their GP may be withholding things from them? If you went in for a smear by a doctor do you think that if they found something abnormal they'd think---I won't tell them I found such and such because this one tends to get hysterical, I'll just wait for the results and deal with it then?

My doctor did mention cysts and described nabothian cysts that are supposed to be common and benign. Also, I did actually see the doctors notes from the exam (my mental health worker showed me) and there is no notes. Just a notation that the exam took place. My husband tells me I'm nuts...that there would have been notes if my thinking was right and there was something other than the cysts.

Still, I'm freaking out...can't sleep, drinking heavily to try and sleep. Basically I'm cracking up.:weep:

RosieXXX
03-09-08, 16:12
Hi Helen,

Dont worry. Nabothian cysts are common - if the doctor had found anything other than these he wouldn't have been telling you about them. My doctor has told me the same when I have had a smear - he even drew a little diagram of the cervix showing where the nodule was - the trouble is people like us would rather not know because we start putting two and two together and make five!! I had a smear a few months ago, and I bled at the time, the doctor held the swab and showed me - goodness knows why - anyway that worried me too - everthing was fine, and I am sure it will be for you toohttp://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif.

nanny
03-09-08, 16:18
HI

I have had smears over the years which have come back abnormal. Don't worry about your doctor withholding anything it's more than their jobs worth to do that. After all they give you smears to keep an eye on things and to keep you healthy.

I have had cysts, they went on the own accord. The one time the dr thought the abnormal results was serious he had me in that hospital up on the table and burnt all abmormal tissue away, this was done in half an hour whilst i was awake and i didn't feel a thing.

I know it's scary but you are in the right hands, you would be surprised by how common cysts are and the majority go away on there own.
hope i have helped just a little.

Good Luck:hugs:

Helen1973
03-09-08, 16:40
Hi Helen,

Dont worry. Nabothian cysts are common - if the doctor had found anything other than these he wouldn't have been telling you about them. My doctor has told me the same when I have had a smear - he even drew a little diagram of the cervix showing where the nodule was - the trouble is people like us would rather not know because we start putting two and two together and make five!! I had a smear a few months ago, and I bled at the time, the doctor held the swab and showed me - goodness knows why - anyway that worried me too - everthing was fine, and I am sure it will be for you too .

Thank you, Rosie!:hugs: I did know they were common. But she gave me such a weird look when she mentioned them and she just seemed to be cagy—I know that could be my HA making me paranoid—but I’ve started wondering if she was hiding something *else*, because I had to prise info out of her (that they weren’t sinister and that they’re mucus-filled sacs) and totally forgot to ask if everything else looked normal..she just seemed to want to get me out of her office. I do really hope it comes back fine, but I’m not sure I will be anyway when it comes in, y’know.

HI
I have had smears over the years which have come back abnormal. Don't worry about your doctor withholding anything it's more than their jobs worth to do that. After all they give you smears to keep an eye on things and to keep you healthy.
I have had cysts, they went on the own accord. The one time the dr thought the abnormal results was serious he had me in that hospital up on the table and burnt all abmormal tissue away, this was done in half an hour whilst i was awake and i didn't feel a thing.
I know it's scary but you are in the right hands, you would be surprised by how common cysts are and the majority go away on there own.
hope i have helped just a little.
Good Luck

Hi nanny and thank you so much for the reply.:hugs: I really have found it helpful. She told me that I have ‘large clusters of cervical cysts’ which scared me into go into a fugue—which is why I didn’t question her on whether there was anything *else* she’d seen. Since then I’ve just got myself in a complete tizzy thinking that she was hiding something other than the cysts and waiting for the result before having to tackle HAme! I was desperate to hear something along the lines of them not being allowed to hide such things no matter how upset a patient may get to help me get over the next six weeks.

A big part of this is my own fault. I let my smear become 18months overdue. I could kick myself all over the place for that.

RosieXXX
03-09-08, 16:54
Hi Helen,

Hang in there - try not to worry. Cervical smear tests are reliable, and can pick up slight abnormalities ages before they become a problem, so the fact that your last one was perfectly normal is very good news - even though this one is 18 months later than the usual three years - the chances of anything dire happening since then is very unlikely. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif

crunchie01
03-09-08, 17:13
hi

my experience is not with a smear,but dr are not allowed to hold anything back from you it is more than there job is worth, i had 2 moles removed earlier this year not because the dr thought there was anything wrong with them she removed them to ease my mind and im sure she got sick of seeing me with them as well, she removed both of them and she said the results could take 6 weeks which obviously i would have gave myself a heart attack by then,so she said she would rush them through for me as she knows how bad my HA is, she rung me 2 weeks later and told me the one on my leg was fine but the one on my foot had abnormal cells in it, as you can imagine id started planning my funeral,leaving my kids behind etc,even though she told me it was not malignant melanoma but she would probably have to take some more of my skin away,she said she would get the results the next day, i went in the next day and she confirmed it wasnt malignant melanoma but she needed to take more skin and deeper. she said she knew it was probably going to be all ok but she had to tell me the results. even though i wish she had not told me on the thursday and just told me on the friday that i needed more skni off. i hope that makes sense. drs cannot hold anything back hunny

jenniexxxx

Helen1973
03-09-08, 18:22
Hi Helen,

Hang in there - try not to worry. Cervical smear tests are reliable, and can pick up slight abnormalities ages before they become a problem, so the fact that your last one was perfectly normal is very good news - even though this one is 18 months later than the usual three years - the chances of anything dire happening since then is very unlikely.

Thanks again, Rosie. I really appreciate all of your help and reassurance.:bighug1:

hi

my experience is not with a smear,but dr are not allowed to hold anything back from you it is more than there job is worth, i had 2 moles removed earlier this year not because the dr thought there was anything wrong with them she removed them to ease my mind and im sure she got sick of seeing me with them as well, she removed both of them and she said the results could take 6 weeks which obviously i would have gave myself a heart attack by then,so she said she would rush them through for me as she knows how bad my HA is, she rung me 2 weeks later and told me the one on my leg was fine but the one on my foot had abnormal cells in it, as you can imagine id started planning my funeral,leaving my kids behind etc,even though she told me it was not malignant melanoma but she would probably have to take some more of my skin away,she said she would get the results the next day, i went in the next day and she confirmed it wasnt malignant melanoma but she needed to take more skin and deeper. she said she knew it was probably going to be all ok but she had to tell me the results. even though i wish she had not told me on the thursday and just told me on the friday that i needed more skni off. i hope that makes sense. drs cannot hold anything back hunny

jenniexxxx

Hi Jennie. Thanks so much for the detailed post. I’ve had a recent mole scare myself so I know how you must have felt:bighug1: . My fear isn’t that they would withhold info once the results are in...but of something suspicious they’ve seen during an exam prior to results. The thing with smears is they don’t have to give you a reason for the smear—you have it anyway. I was just hoping that it’s against the rules for them not to advise you of something suspicious they’ve seen during an exam whilst waiting for results.

ETA: Spoke to doctor again. Finally got some unambiguous statement. Everything looked normal, including the cysts. Phew! Thank you so much for all of the replies. I will try and relax now and just wait for the result. Helen XX