PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy Friday

Pansy
03-09-08, 16:32
I'm due a Coloscopy on Friday and I'm petrified. The actual procedure, although unpleasant, doesn't frighten me as much as the sedation they want to give me. They aren't going to put me to sleep, just calm me. I really don't want to feel dozy and not in control. I always feel really yukky afterwards.

Hospitals are begining to frighten me quite a bit.

Anyone else been through this?

Pansy

RosieXXX
03-09-08, 16:40
Hi Pansy,

I haven't had the procedure myself, but do know a few people who have, and like you they were really worried about it. However, the actual procedure itself turned out better than they thought - it is the usual thing isn't it - the anticipation is usually far worse than the actual event. The sedation didn't seem to be a problem - I imagine you will just get a sense of calm - and remember the staff there will be be putting your mind at ease. Just remind yourself in less than two days it will all be over, and you can enjoy the weekend. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif

nomorepanic
03-09-08, 17:13
Pansy

You don't have to be sedated.

I had a sigmoidoscopy and had the feelings the same as you so had the procedure without sedation.

Certainly ask them if this is an option.

Pansy
03-09-08, 18:47
Hi Rosie...............nice to hear from you again.

Thanks to both you and Nicola for your kind words. I'm trying not to think about it too much at the moment. Funnily enough I'm not worried about what they may or may not find, just bothered about the procedure. :huh:

Pansy

milly jones
03-09-08, 19:43
just hugs for friday hun

let us know how it goes xx

countrygirl
03-09-08, 19:47
I had colonsoocpy two months ago and can reassure you that with a good Dr or endoscopist the proceedure itself is nothing much just a bit ouch in a couple of places and the sedation I had was so light I coulnd't harldy tell! I wanted to be spark out but the Dr said they use very light sedation so you are fully aware of everything and I was thinking arghhhh. What I have found though is that the sedation does affedt your memory and realised that hours later I could only remember bits of the proceedure not the whole thing but at the time I was aware of everything.

I found the worst part was the preparation the day before - would be interested to know how you find it - will say no more!

Pansy
04-09-08, 09:05
Next instalment :
I have taken the first preparation..............well to be exact, about half has gone down and the rest come back again! Don't know if that will do . No results so far! Second dose due in 12 hours time.
This is the most disgusting stuff I have ever tasted. Not sure if I can take the next lot.

I feel quite bloated at the moment, as if I need to burp a bit.

I'll keep you posted.

Pansy

thoughts and actions
04-09-08, 15:32
hi Pansy

I had an endoscopy and a colonscopy done on the same day in april. I got it done privately through work and i actually asked to be sedated, the proceudre itself was fine- i can remember being wheeled to the theatre- telling the dr and nurse i was scared, next thing they gave me the sedative, i remember saying to the doc "if you sold this in bottles i would buy it " haha, it was the best feeling of my life- i dont remember much of the procedure and then next thing i was back in the room with mum. I didnt feel bad at all after the procedure- they gave me tea and toast and it was the beest in the world coz i hadnt eaten for nearly 2 days or had a driink in over 12 hours. I also was in no pain after it

I would say the worst part for me was the day before the pre drink- Fleet’s phosphosoda is what i had to take,the doctor i saw actually wrote on his letter to my GP "the bowel was well prepared and empty" i could not stop laughing when the GP told me- like countrygirl i will say no more- good luck for tomorrow but you will not need it.

ElizabethJane
04-09-08, 15:51
Hello Pansy I have had two colonoscopies in the past plus an endoscopy done at the same time. The bowel prep is reallly the worst thing because you still feel you want to go to the loo even when there is nothing else to come out. The piccolax can make you feel a bit sicky as well. I would tell the doctor that the sedation needs to be enough so that you remember nothing about the procedure. I had no pain and slept most of the day after. The staff on these units are doing these examinations every day and will help to make your experience without fear and anxiety.

Pansy
04-09-08, 15:52
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll report back either tomorrow or Saturday.

Pansy

nettles
04-09-08, 16:53
Hi Pansy
My husband had a colonoscopy a few months back, and yes the piccolax was the worst part of it. When I picked him up from the hospital he was a tiny bit dozy, but otherwise fine, and able to come straight home and have some food. He was more worried about me as I hate hospitals (I have a vomit phobia) and I was terrified whilst picking him up, but trying to be really calm and reassuring for him.
I've had horrible dental procedures without sedation because I can't imagine losing that control and fear of it making me queasy, so I understand where you're coming from.
Hope it all goes well as I'm sure it will!
XX

Pansy
05-09-08, 14:05
I'm back! The staff were brilliant a putting people at their ease, I was really petrified.

I talked about sedation, and they said if I didn't want to have it I could try some gas & air instead. This meant I had pain control in my own hands and the recovery is a lot quicker. The actual procedure was slightly uncomfortable (a bit like trapped wind) but not painful. Afterwards I had tea and toast, and found walking about relived the 'wind' situation. I couldn't have done that if I had been sedated.

The worst was the day before. The cleansing liquid was disgusting, and to be honest most of came back............didn't seem to be a problem cleaning the tubes though lol. So then Countrygirl and Thought & Actions..........what happened when you took the prep???

Oh yes........one more thing ladies...............my consultant was Spanish and a dead ringer of Rafael Nadal..........I obviously showed him my best side :blush:

Pansy

Pansy
05-09-08, 14:06
Forgot to say.......................results were good. No nasty problems.

milly jones
05-09-08, 14:56
heey so pleased for u hunny

so proud u went thru it too

and found the strength to tell us about it so anyone else who has to have one will know truth

thank you

milly xxx

RosieXXX
05-09-08, 17:26
Well done Pansy!

What a relief is must be.

Have a good weekend.

jannnne
06-09-08, 09:26
Excellent, well done you, gas and air is fantastic isn't it. Glad all turned out well and feel the relief in your post lots of lovexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx