PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Self-Help Book

sadie
28-11-03, 23:27
Hi Meg

I have just been reading some of the previous messages on this site and came across one which struck a chord with me...NEGATIVE TNINKING!!
This is the root of my anxiety and I guess with most peoples anxiety. Anyway. I would really appreciate if you know of any good self-help books which would help me with this negative thinking. I also worry every day about my health..thinking I have every illness there is and worrying myself sick about it. I feel my life is passing me by and I really want to try and enjoy my life. Not only that but the way I feel affects my relationship with my husband and he feels I am not the same person I was when he met me and just wants me to be happy! I have asked at my doctor surgery about any support groups etc close by which would really benefit me but was told there wasnt any. Do you know of any close by to my area?

sadie

nomorepanic
28-11-03, 23:42
Sadie

Have you looked at my web page - http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/reading.htm

As for support groups then are you a member of "NO Panic" ?

Nicola

Meg
29-11-03, 00:03
Dear Sadie,

If you want a quick easy read

Shad Helmstetter : What to say when you talk to yourself

For something more meaty

Joseph Mantorano: Beyond negative thinking

are good ones to start with .....

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sadie
29-11-03, 09:53
Hi Nicola & Meg

I have read a couple of books on your list which I did find helpful but I was looking for a book which was designed specifically for people with Health phobias, like myself. I will try the examples that Meg has given to help with the negative thinking..

As for No Panic, I have read something on them but I didn't know they had support groups. I will look into this. Cheers for the advice.

Thanks again

sadie

florence
29-11-03, 14:06
Hi Sadie,
I have exactly the same problem......worrying too much about my health and negative thinking is definitely one of my problems, I am pretty sure it's what causes my anxiety and panic attacks.
About books, maybe those two could help you:
-THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING (by Norman Vincent Peale)
-YOU CAN HEAL YOUR LIFE (by Louise L.hay)
Hope these can help you.
Lots of love.
Florence.

benoo5
29-11-03, 18:47
......MIND MAGIC......BETTE SHINE...bryan.

Jo
01-12-03, 10:54
Hello All - I carry with me at all times a little book titled 'Don't Panic - In Control of Fear, Panic & Anxiety by Eve Russell! Whilst I wouldn't quite describe it as a 'self help book', it contains 'supportive words'. Whenever I get 'that feeling' - I pick a page and try to do what it says!

Take care all

Jo xx

Michaela
02-12-03, 21:58
Hello everyone,

I have read "Women Who Think Too Much" recently and this has some good strategies for stopping thoughts and made some good sense to me. Whilst it's not focused entirely on anxiety disorders, it really did help put a lot of thinking behaviours into perspective and helped just to know you are not alone.

Hope you find something that helps.

Michaela.