PDA

View Full Version : Palps again, please help!

mabelina
05-09-08, 11:16
I was doing so well taking the Apple Cider Vinegar, i still had palps but they were very very faint. This morning, as i opened my eyes, i had three different types of palps within a matter of 20 seconds. Fluttering, four rapid beats and the one hard thump. I somehow managed to fall back to sleep though. When i woke up again and decided to get up, my feet only touched the floor and i had this massive flip flop beat that felt like my heart had dropped to my stomach. My anxiety then immediately kicked in making my heart race, sweaty hands and feet and hot flush going through my body. I sat on my bed for a while trying to calm down but couldnt get my heart rate down. I took two Propranolol which i stopped taking a while back so i hope its ok?? Ive calmed down now but still waiting for the next palp to come and im scared to move around incase my heart rate goes up again. My legs are like jelly too. I know these symptoms are all anxiety but it doesnt matter how much i tell myself that, i still cant cope with the palps.:weep:

alan b
05-09-08, 12:46
hi mablinena
i know just where your coming from,have you seen a cardiologist.and if you have,dont tell me they said everything was ok.the biggest problem we have is that our mind makes everything much worse than it actually is.im in the same boat,i have had ectopic heartbeats for about 3 years and went through a stage where i thought i would never cope,and drove everybody around me nuts,but its a vicous circle,more i get them the more i panic,more i panic more i get them,but its still frighting when i get them but im a lot better than i was, trust me there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
take care
alan

mabelina
05-09-08, 13:02
have you seen a cardiologist.and if you have,dont tell me they said everything was ok.

Hi Alan, did you make a mistake there? I read your post and started panicing because i thought you were going to say "Dont tell me they said everything was ok, cos it never is!!!" :ohmy: :sign20:

Oh i think i know which way you meant it now! lol

Mikke
05-09-08, 17:16
Recently I have found great relief in very basic anxiety facts.

What happens when we have anxiety attacks?

1. First of all, the body needs to activate, and it needs to do so very quickly in the case of present danger.
The brain in a matter of milliseconds influences your kidneys to release large amounts of stresshormones into your bloodstream.

2. The stresshormones again influences many parts of the body so that it can be ready to fight or flight. Your heart can "skip" a beat (actually it doesn't, it throws in an extra beat in case you need a faster heart rate), your heart rate can increase, you start to sweat, you have narrowed vision, you tremble.. and so on and so on (we all know the symptoms).

3. The sad thing really, is that we don't see that it's the brain and the release of stresshormones that are the big problem here. We instantly blame the heart. "Something MUST be wrong with my heart because it skips beats or beats very fast". But the heart acts as it should do. It simply responds to the stresshormones, just like other parts of the body. And it doesn't start with the heart, it starts with the kidneys. The hearts actions are secondary.

We don't blame our skin for the sweating, or our eyes for the narrowed vision. We blame what is to be blamed, namely anxiety (and the strsshormones).
I have never seen anyone complaining or believing they had skindiseases or problems with their eyes aften an anxiety attack. Most anxious people get very scared when the stresshormones influences more vital organs, like the heart or the lungs.

Please remember that your body can respond to the brain in an instant. You may feel a skipped beat and think it all starts there, but it didn't. It started in your brain, continued with your kidneys, and eventually your heart (which is fine, it acts like it's supposed to :) )

sean31976
08-09-08, 10:44
hang in there ! I know how you must feel as a few weeks ago I called the ambulace on myself over dumb palls. And I didn't die as I am writing this in not the afterworld ;)

yanksforever
08-09-08, 19:55
HAHA Sean! Im glad you're still here.

Mabelina-

1- these funky heart beats won't hurt your- they wont cause heart attacks, heart failure or any other heart issues.

2- worrying will only make them worst.

3- you are fine, and you will be fine. When you wake up, suddenly or even slowly- you go from one state to another and that can cause those funky beats.

4- deep breaths honey. relax and go out with friends or have some come over.