PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

Jpfcastella
05-09-08, 13:58
Hello All
Just picked up my prescription from the Chemists, and although i have read about side effects on this forum, i cannot wait to start taking the meds and get better.

I had been on constant stress for about a year at work, when the stress suddenly stopped i started feeling ill, lots of heachaches, lack of concentration, anxiety, moody.

In the long run i know i will get better, i just need a little something to get going. The doc suggested i try CBT counselling, but its not cheap. so here i go.:yesyes:

Joao pedro

milly jones
05-09-08, 14:01
hi hun

good luck with the meds

i would seriously consider therapy too cos meds mask the symptoms of anx but u need the therapy to deal with them

u can get cbt on nhs

u can also get it online eg livinglifetothefull.com

and theres some good books out there in smiths eg cbt for dummies etc

hugs for ur continued journey

milly xxxx

ps for me the side effects were so much better than coping with the anx itself

Lou~Lou
05-09-08, 14:08
You will be so glad you took them. I did have side effects, but they soon passed. Im so much more my old self now its incredible.

eternally optimistic
05-09-08, 14:13
Hi there

Good for you, that attitude will help with your recovery.

I've been on citalopram, low dosage, for a year now, hope to come off them soon. They have made a massive difference to me and I hope that
when the time comes when I try to stop taking that all will continue well.

I found continuing progess with the tablets and only wish I had taken them before.

GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOUR FEELING BRIGHTER SOON.

J

Jpfcastella
10-09-08, 17:00
Hello All
Thanks for all your support, its now day 4 of me taking the drugs, still feeling spaced out, and my mouth is always dry, feel a weird sensation just behind my nose aswell, like a little pressure, but this is the side effects. Also feeling more anxious than normal, but i am starting to learn how to control myself.

I am able to come to work now and toddle along, though i get tired often, and i am slowly getting my appitite back.
I asked my GP regarding CBT and he cannot recomend me as i only have mild symtoms. Will look at CBT once i have saved a little money.

Joao Pedro

Lisa-Angel
10-09-08, 17:15
Hello!

I take this medication myself, and it has changed my life. I am now about to start weening off it, as it has given me breathing space and a chance to learn how to cope.

Good luck with it all

Lisa xx

purple to black
12-09-08, 11:23
Does Citalopram take away the symptoms of panic attacks and anxiety in order for me to return to work? I am unable to go to work at present or go anywhere really. Also at that time of the month so dont know if its making me feel worse or whether im just going backwards...
Have a huge fear of taking tablets and am terrified to take the pills, but now realise i need something. How much does it heighten the anxiety? and how long does it last?

Sorry i know there are loads of posts on this i just need some advice

Allye
12-09-08, 14:17
Yes Citalopram can remove or reduce PA. It is also used or depression and general anxiety.

A combination of Citalopram and CBT gave my body a break from the circle and gave my body time to heal a bit.

Yes there are some side effects but please remember most people will only post the worst experiences on here. For me the side effects were no worse than having a PA itself!!

But also remember that whilst Citalopram may give you a break and enable you to return to work, you really must try to tackle the PA and anxiety as well. I had CBT and whilst at the time I thought it was not working, long term it has really helped me cope.

I no longer take Citalopram and do still suffer anxiety but have not had a full blown PA and can cope much better with the symptoms of anxiety.

Good luck

Allye

purple to black
12-09-08, 17:03
Thanks Allye for that advice. I am on the waiting list for CBT also, which i should get an appt for in the next 5/6 weeks so i feel i am going in the right direction. Still not sure about the Citalopram as i said i have a phobia of pills but my mind is more in the set that i really dont have a choice anymore, im going to think more about it over the weekend and see how i go.
It must be great to feela sense of freedom which i long for so maybe a few days of roughing it to feel better is what i need :)